OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:13:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is smoking marijuana a sin?  (Read 41728 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #270 on: February 23, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »

The only reason I could think of it being a sin is because Christians are told to obey the civil authorities and the civil authorities have decided to keep marijuana illegal.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #271 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

Not only is marijuana illegal but its also an intoxicant and its written in the scriptures that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #272 on: February 23, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »

Not only is marijuana illegal but its also an intoxicant and its written in the scriptures that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Yeah, God forbid people have even the slightest bit of fun in life.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »

Good thing that you can't get drunk of marijuana.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #274 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

That statement makes no sense. Wine is an intoxicant, yet we use it in the Eucharist.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #275 on: February 23, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »

Also, marijuana doesn't have any proven negative health affects on the body, whereas alcohol and tobacco have several. Plus, intoxication from marijuana ("being high") doesn not lead to violent behavior, but simply relaxes you, whereas many drunkards (who I consider worse than marijuana-addicts), become violent when they drink. On the other hand, it is also fair to mention that it is MUCH easier to study the affects of alcohol and tobacco because they are legalized and there is a steady observable population of drinkers and smokers to look to, whereas, marijuana is illegal and thus studying it is harder, and the population of marijuana smokers is more hidden and secretive, so it is harder to observe its affect on people.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #276 on: February 23, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »

Also, marijuana doesn't have any proven negative health affects on the body, whereas alcohol and tobacco have several. Plus, intoxication from marijuana ("being high") doesn not lead to violent behavior, but simply relaxes you, whereas many drunkards (who I consider worse than marijuana-addicts), become violent when they drink. On the other hand, it is also fair to mention that it is MUCH easier to study the affects of alcohol and tobacco because they are legalized and there is a steady observable population of drinkers and smokers to look to, whereas, marijuana is illegal and thus studying it is harder, and the population of marijuana smokers is more hidden and secretive, so it is harder to observe its affect on people.

Would you smoke a joint while driving?   Huh
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #277 on: February 23, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

Of course not, but that's a horrible argument. Many people drink alcohol while driving too. I wouldn't smoke or drink anything at all at any time in my life (except the Eucharist), but I'm just saying, out of the three bad habits, I think that marijuana is probably the least harmful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:57:06 PM by JamesR » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #278 on: February 23, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »

You do realize that it's illegal to have an open container of alcohol in the cab of your car while you're driving? So what does your red herring have to do with this discussion?
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »

Whether or not it leads to violent behavior, intoxication from marijuana is still an intoxication and therefore should be avoided by anyone of the Christian faith. Drunkenness and Intoxication are the same things.

How dare someone compare alcohol to the Most-Precious and Life-Giving Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. First of all, its the Blood of Christ. Second, communion is not received in large intoxicant inducing amounts.

Im not saying alcohol is wrong but abuse of it is. Marijuana and "high-inducing" should definitely be avoided.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »

You do realize that it's illegal to have an open container of alcohol in the cab of your car while you're driving? So what does your red herring have to do with this discussion?

I was trying to establish that people drive while under the influence of marijuana and the effects are the same as driving under the influence of alcohol.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

Whether or not it leads to violent behavior, intoxication from marijuana is still an intoxication and therefore should be avoided by anyone of the Christian faith. Drunkenness and Intoxication are the same things.

How dare someone compare alcohol to the Most-Precious and Life-Giving Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. First of all, its the Blood of Christ.
And yet, consuming what remains of the Holy Mysteries after the conclusion of the Liturgy can make a priest somewhat tipsy. It is the Blood of Christ, yes, but it also remains wine all the same.

Second, communion is not received in large intoxicant inducing amounts.
Thank you for proving my point! Grin If it's moral to drink wine in amounts too small to cause intoxication, then why is it immoral to smoke amounts of marijuana that are too small to cause intoxication?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »

I was trying to establish that people drive while under the influence of marijuana and the effects are the same as driving under the influence of alcohol.
Then you're no longer talking about the harmful effects smoking of marijuana may have per se. You're talking about the effect marijuana smoking may have on one's driving, a problem to which there is a very simple solution: Don't drive stoned.
Ava

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »

I have to say, I'm a little shocked by what I have been reading.
Perhaps one may consider this....
Though you may feel that you habits don't affect your own life in a negative way, consider how your actions affect those around you who are not so fortunate to keep their temptations under control.  Are we all SO sure of ourselves that we know for absolute certainty that using particular substances don't affect others directly or indirectly?
I just find it sad that something which is illegal in most states, people are willing to risk a run in with the law or carry the flag for a meager sense of pleasure.  There are more worthy things to fight for.  And if said substance is "needed" (rather than wanted) for someone to release stress or to relax, than perhaps some prayer is really needed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:21:52 PM by Ava » Logged
Nadege

« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »

Recently, the OCF at my college was debating whether smoking marijuana was a sin.  I was wondering what any of your thoughts were regarding "smoking poit"

thank you
It's illegal and bad for you.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »

Meh

Peace.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »

Recently, the OCF at my college was debating whether smoking marijuana was a sin.  I was wondering what any of your thoughts were regarding "smoking poit"

thank you
It's illegal and bad for you.
Has anyone ever smoked poit?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #288 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »

Coming in a little late on this one- oh well

Didn't know Kerdy was so vocal on the ganj, but yet so silent on other, and more, pertinent issues.

Such as?  I am vocal on many issues.  If I see one which I feel I should remark, I do, like abortion.  (I once mostly spoke of politics, but now having pulled away from that almost entirely, I no longer speak of it if I can)  And MJ is a pertinent issue.  It’s the precipice of legalizing dangerous drugs in America.

I think the part to prove is that dangerous drugs should be illegal. Or that by removing legal barriers to procuring and regulating said drugs the way we do other consumer products that these drugs would still be anywhere near as dangerous.

Some folks smoke to be more relaxed

Which is recreational and wrong.
According to who?

Some folks smoke … for medical reasons.

Such as?  Since people like to toss out there are no medical and scientific peer reviewed studies to show Marijuana is bad, perhaps you would not mind presenting all of those which have proven substantial medicinal purposes unachievable elsewhere.  Like the ones that don’t exist for the DEA to reschedule MJ and the supreme court supported them.
How about the perfectly legal drugs made from marijuana by drug companies because research has shown that marijuana- or more accurately the psychoactive ingredient THC- has more than a few medicinal benefits? We can argue about the motives behind the DEA and Feds to not reschedule marijuana itself, but the fact remains that it has many perfectly legitimate medicinal purposes. Smoking the plant can even bypass some of the worst of the consequences that cancer patients using the legal pharmaceutical pill version face- the pill is often prescribed to increase appetite after chemo, however, it is difficult to hold anything in one's stomach after chemo.

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

Well, I'm certainly glad you can live with being the moral Pope of recreational users and judge of the AMA. You'd have fit right in with the people who pushed for and voted for the 18th Amendment.

Oh and BTW, recreational usage of marijuana is legal in Colorado.

It is NOW (not when a lot of people were getting high illegally before), according to state law, but there is that pesky federal law thing still out there which supersedes state law.  

Not by any right governance of the American people as set forth in the Constitution. The Federal government has been operating illegally for quite some time.
It would take far too long to properly break apart your post and too much board space, so I will simply say, "Fail" and leave it at that.
FAIL!
That's what I said.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #289 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »

Yeah, God forbid people have even the slightest bit of fun in life.
Which has nothing to do with his post.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #290 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »

Didn't know Kerdy was so vocal on the ganj, but yet so silent on other, and more, pertinent issues.

Such as?  I am vocal on many issues.  If I see one which I feel I should remark, I do, like abortion.  (I once mostly spoke of politics, but now having pulled away from that almost entirely, I no longer speak of it if I can)  And MJ is a pertinent issue.  It’s the precipice of legalizing dangerous drugs in America.

I think the part to prove is that dangerous drugs should be illegal. Or that by removing legal barriers to procuring and regulating said drugs the way we do other consumer products that these drugs would still be anywhere near as dangerous.

According to who?

Such as?  Since people like to toss out there are no medical and scientific peer reviewed studies to show Marijuana is bad, perhaps you would not mind presenting all of those which have proven substantial medicinal purposes unachievable elsewhere.  Like the ones that don’t exist for the DEA to reschedule MJ and the supreme court supported them.
How about the perfectly legal drugs made from marijuana by drug companies because research has shown that marijuana- or more accurately the psychoactive ingredient THC- has more than a few medicinal benefits? We can argue about the motives behind the DEA and Feds to not reschedule marijuana itself, but the fact remains that it has many perfectly legitimate medicinal purposes. Smoking the plant can even bypass some of the worst of the consequences that cancer patients using the legal pharmaceutical pill version face- the pill is often prescribed to increase appetite after chemo, however, it is difficult to hold anything in one's stomach after chemo.

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

Well, I'm certainly glad you can live with being the moral Pope of recreational users and judge of the AMA. You'd have fit right in with the people who pushed for and voted for the 18th Amendment.

It is NOW (not when a lot of people were getting high illegally before), according to state law, but there is that pesky federal law thing still out there which supersedes state law.  

Not by any right governance of the American people as set forth in the Constitution. The Federal government has been operating illegally for quite some time.
It would take far too long to properly break apart your post and too much board space, so I will simply say, "Fail" and leave it at that.
FAIL!
That's what I said.
I was referring to your post.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #291 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »

Good thing that you can't get drunk of marijuana.
This type of game never ends well.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »

According to who?

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

FAIL!
That's what I said.
I know, which is why it was amusing.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »

That statement makes no sense. Wine is an intoxicant, yet we use it in the Eucharist.
It makes perfect sense.  You don't get drunk partaking of the Eucharist.  You get high partaking of MJ.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »

All of this has already been addressed.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »

How dare someone compare alcohol to the Most-Precious and Life-Giving Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. First of all, its the Blood of Christ.
And yet, consuming what remains of the Holy Mysteries after the conclusion of the Liturgy can make a priest somewhat tipsy. It is the Blood of Christ, yes, but it also remains wine all the same.

Thank you for proving my point! Grin If it's moral to drink wine in amounts too small to cause intoxication, then why is it immoral to smoke amounts of marijuana that are too small to cause intoxication?
If you directly inhale MJ, you get high.  There is no amount "too small."
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »

Then you're no longer talking about the harmful effects smoking of marijuana may have per se. You're talking about the effect marijuana smoking may have on one's driving, a problem to which there is a very simple solution: Don't drive stoned.
Semantics do not a debate win.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »

It makes perfect sense.  You don't get drunk partaking of the Eucharist.  You get high partaking of MJ.
Really? It's not possible to smoke marijuana but not enough to get high?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »

Really? You got any information that proves your point?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »

I have to say, I'm a little shocked by what I have been reading.
Perhaps one may consider this....
Though you may feel that you habits don't affect your own life in a negative way, consider how your actions affect those around you who are not so fortunate to keep their temptations under control.  Are we all SO sure of ourselves that we know for absolute certainty that using particular substances don't affect others directly or indirectly?
I just find it sad that something which is illegal in most states, people are willing to risk a run in with the law or carry the flag for a meager sense of pleasure.  There are more worthy things to fight for.  And if said substance is "needed" (rather than wanted) for someone to release stress or to relax, than perhaps some prayer is really needed.
People have always, and always will, poorly attempt to justify their sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2013, 01:28:36 AM »

But stupid one liners a debate will certainly lose.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2013, 01:30:07 AM »

Really? It's not possible to smoke marijuana but not enough to get high?
No.  For clarity, I'm not talking about smelling from across the hall.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »

You got any to disprove my point?  I've been in LE for a lot of years.  You can't disprove my experiences.  You can try, but it won't work.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:51 AM »

According to who?

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

FAIL!
That's what I said.
Amusing that you would call someone else's post a fail yet at the same time admit that you're too lazy to break the post down and explain why it was a fail? That's why I called your post a FAIL. For the sake of discussion, if you think someone else's post failed, you owe it to the other participants in the debate to explain how the post failed.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

If you want this to dissolve to the juvenile level you are taking it, I will be more than happy to follow.  Just be sure to leave you forum authority at the door.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2013, 01:35:09 AM »

If you directly inhale MJ, you get high.  There is no amount "too small."
You got any to disprove my point?
Not my burden. The burden of proof is on you to prove your point, not on me to disprove it.

I've been in LE for a lot of years.
What the pick is LE?

You can't disprove my experiences.  You can try, but it won't work.
But it's a logical fallacy to extrapolate all-inclusive generalizations from your personal experience.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:41:50 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2013, 01:36:25 AM »

According to who?

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

FAIL!
That's what I said.
Amusing that you would call someone else's post a fail yet at the same time admit that you're too lazy to break the post down and explain why it was a fail? That's why I called your post a FAIL. For the sake of discussion, if you think someone else's post failed, you owe it to the other participants in the debate to explain how the post failed.
Which you easily could have asked for me to explain anyway, but didnt, and did the same thing you said I should not have done, but I digress.  Your emotions are controlling your posts at this point.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »

If you want this to dissolve to the juvenile level you are taking it,
Dude, you already took it there with your string of one-liners. Honestly, do you have anything more intelligent to say? If so, I would like to see you say it.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:04 AM »

According to who?

You're a nut, Kerdy.
I can live with it.  

FAIL!
That's what I said.
Which you easily could have asked for me to explain anyway, but didnt,
Actually, I didn't ask you to explain because you had already stated why you didn't want to. I therefore deemed it best to honor your desire while at the same time criticizing it as foolish.

and did the same thing you said I should not have done,
I eventually did take the initiative to do what I suggested you should have done, thus following the tactics I had decided to take.

but I digress.  Your emotions are controlling your posts at this point.
Nah, not at all. You are engaging my every post in this dialogue, are you not? Why are you doing so?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:41:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »

The consumption of marijuana is wrong and no amount or word games or twisting of scripture will alleviate a person from being responsible for doing something wrong.  It really is that easy.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2013, 01:51:32 AM »

The consumption of marijuana is wrong and no amount or word games or twisting of scripture will alleviate a person from being responsible for doing something wrong.  It really is that easy.
No, it is not that easy. You need to explain exactly why smoking marijuana is a sin, and when challenged on your reasoning, you need to answer the challenges from sources outside yourself. I've only seen you give feeble attempts at both. I'm sure you can do better.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:52:15 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Nadege

« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:44 AM »

What's with Orthodox Christian forums and passionate debates on pot?  I saw the same thing on the Ancient Faith forum.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:03:35 AM by Nadege » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2013, 02:06:39 AM »

What's with Orthodox Christian forums and passionate debates on pot?
Why is that a bad thing?
Nadege

« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:19 AM »

Why is that a bad thing?
Aren't we supposed to be discussing how to be better people, not how to engage in criminal activities?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2013, 02:37:40 AM »

Why is that a bad thing?
Aren't we supposed to be discussing how to be better people, not how to engage in criminal activities?
In at least one state in the Union, Washington, the smoking of marijuana is actually legal. In at least one other state, Oregon, the use of marijuana is legal for medicinal purposes. Therefore, the discussion of whether the smoking of marijuana is a sin is in fact a necessary discussion. Remember that this is also an international discussion board. Who knows what countries represented here permit the smoking of marijuana? I therefore intend to support this discussion, regardless of whether you think it wise or not.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:39:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: sin Orthodox Christian Fellowship marijuana alcohol drugs bee in bonnet pot weed 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: