OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True saving faith  (Read 249 times) Average Rating: 0
mikeforjesus
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: September 14, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

On this rock I build my church and the gates of hades shall not prevail over it

Didn't Jesus mean if we have true saving faith it can withstand any attacks ?

No weapon formed against you shall prosper and every tongue which rises against you in judgement you shall condemn this is the heritage of the servants of the LORD and their righteousness is from Me
Isaiah 54:17

But perhaps we should not look for attacks for that is casting pearls before swine

I want to post this on my Facebook but my priest said something I am worried about .My priest probably got from pope Shenouda III that we don't all have the talent to defend the faith so I don't think he will approve of the below thoughts

As Christians since we know Jesus is the way the truth and the life and only way to the Father we should never be afraid of investigating any other religion for other people's sake but unless it has more proof than Christianity we are condemned if we join it God said if any false teacher arises from your brethren and teaches you to worship any god whom you do not know he shall be cut off from his people as God delivered the Jews from bondage in Egypt God delivers Christians from sins and depression and has answered our prayers many times before if we are honest
We blame ourselves too much if we have doubts like God can't forgive us but I do worry if I don't believe God will send me to hell does that fear have a well established scriptural basis?
In Judaism people had a direct experience from God so it is wrong to be curious about other things even foreign doctrines like worshipping angels

But Apostle Paul said we should not be carried about by every wind of doctrine because it is Gods job to convert others because we are responsible for no one but ourselves we can explore but we should not give the impression we are responsible for others so people always look for an excuse not to believe
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:25:40 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »

It is our love for righteousness and keeping the commandments that saves us not convincing ourselves we know everything and that Jesus is LORD by faith we understand that the world was created by God etc there is no proof faith is a decision based on accepting its probabilities. It is proof to believers. In the absence of any proofs for any religion we are judged by our conscience Jesus said this is the condemnation that the light has come and men love darkness rather than the light therefore we should not be afraid of doubts if we do not hate the light
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:31:47 PM by mikeforjesus » Logged
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

I don't know that WE can withstand ANY attacks.  It depends on who/what we have faith in. 

Jesus said that we should be of good cheer because he has overcome the world.  (John 16:33 - paraphrased)  He's done it, He knows how to do it, He has the strength and the power to do it. . .and when we admit that we are weak, then we can admit that it is Christ in us that can withstand the tribulations and temptations of this world. 

But also, keep in mind that:  "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."  1 Corinthians 10:13  ESV

Mike, may I make a suggestion to you?  Why don't you, if you are going to post to FB about your faith, just post about your faith - as you would if you were talking to your best friend who already believes.  Then you can just be yourself and you aren't trying to coerce anyone.  You're just being yourself and honest.  Let The Lord, Christ take care of the rest - He is able and He knows who is willing. 

He asked us to let our light shine before men - you can only let your light shine if you are just being yourself, as if you are anything less, the evil on can gain ground just out of your trying to control what The Lord is trying to do. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:42 AM »

Thanks quiet morning I shall try to do what you told me
It's okay learning about other religions
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:30:15 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:11:29 AM »

Lord have mercy.

I will pray for you too.

Have you tried singing the Paraclesis to the Theotokos every evening before going to sleep.

The Theotokos is quick to hear those who cry to her with faith and love.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:10 AM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:06:29 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:35 AM »

I edited this out I shouldn't have
Thanks quiet morning I shall try to do what you told me
No matter how good we are if we don't believe we will perish unless we spent our life pursuing faith and righteousness and avoiding false teachers I think God will give faith to such a person but if not I think he is still saved therefore we should hold onto our faith when Jesus gives it to us and leave the converting to God and those He gave the talent to

When I said in the absence of proof towards any religion I did not mean Christianity as there are prophesies about Jesus
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:03:16 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:04 AM »

Forget all I said and concentrate on strengthening your faith in Jesus if you ever lost faith Jesus promises to give it back to you if you ever had faith as He said I will never leave you or forsake you
You can't be saved without faith in Jesus so we can't play any games in this area and hope we still have faith
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:31:32 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:22:35 AM »

Jesus warned if anyone causes one to lose faith it is better for him that his neck was tied with a millstone and was drowned in the sea so I apologise
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:23 AM »

Actually,  Mike,  it wasn't the  loss of faith,  it was causing one of His little ones to sin.   (That would have it worse than being drowned with a mill stone).

We are faithless but He is faithful.  Smiley  The Father sent us His Holy Spirit that  we would be comforted and encouraged.   In that,  we do not lose faith.  

The Father draws those that He wills to His son.   This is my prayer for my husband,  my son,  my brothers and sisters.   They do not believe in God.   His light shines inme,  though.   They see that light.  They know there is a difference.   And I pray for them.

It is our responsibility to pray for the nation's,  for unbelievers.   It is our responsibility to let our light shine - that they might see the light and come out of their darkness.   When they ask questions,  then the Father is putting those questions on their heart... He is drawing them to His Son... then answer those question in the best way you can,  trusting Him to fill you with His grace and wisdom.

Mike,  my husband is an unbeliever... And he has a very serious advanced cancer.   I want with everything I am to witness Christ to him to speak to him.... To try to convince him...

But that is my will.   Not God's.   I have to let go and BE who I AM in Christ and let God choose and do as He wills.

HE CHOSE the 12.   They did not choose HIM.  He did not have others bring the apostles to Him.   He went to them personally.   Smiley   It was his pleasure to do so.

Smiley  please pray for me... it is hard to die to my will.   Especially with my husband as sick as he is.   But in dying to my will,  I am not blocking the work of God.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:19:00 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »

Jesus warned if anyone causes one to lose faith it is better for him that his neck was tied with a millstone and was drowned in the sea so I apologise

Oops.  I read this wrong.   I thought it rad that if anyone loses faith.   Not if anyone causes one to lose faith.  I better get some coffee and wake up a little more.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »

It also applies to putting too much pressure on people to sin eg Christian persecution in the Middle East

I shall pray for you and your husband
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »

Yep,  sure does.  

Thank you,   your prayers are much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:32:32 AM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: