Author Topic: The Travel Thread  (Read 878 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: The Travel Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
One thing I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in, Russian food. Someone give me a synopsis.

Borscht, meat pies, dumplings, lots of sour cream in things, shish-kebab, caviar, blini, etc.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cuisine
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
Why would on earth you want to go to New York and Philidelphia?

How people dissing New York act after they have been in NYC for more than a month:

Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
How people dissing NYC look after an hour in Chicago:
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »

I don't even mind the cold, but Chicago doesn't deserve the hype it's getting in this thread.  "It doesn't smell like urine" is about the best thing I can say about it in comparison to NYC. 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
I've been to several sovereign nations wholly landlocked by the U.S.

Where I'd go?

-Republic of Ireland and then catch a ride over to GB, focusing on Scotland and Wales but making some of the usual tourist stops in England
-Greece
-Holy Land
-Vatican
-New Zealand
-Some kind of general continental tour that stops in Budapest.
-India

And, not technically foreign for a U.S. citizen, but Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico.

(The weird takeaway I have from this thread is that I'm older than Alpha, who I was sure had decade on me based on some of his previous comments.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:28:01 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
One thing I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in, Russian food. Someone give me a synopsis.

Borscht, meat pies, dumplings, lots of sour cream in things, shish-kebab, sashlyk, caviar, blini, etc.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cuisine

FIFY.  You forgot Pelmeni, which is delicious.  Technically Siberian but since we are counting Borscht, the national soup of the Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian region and I believe likely the only good outcome of the Union of Brest-Litovsk (particularly in the Polish form), who is counting?  The region of their origin is still natural Russian.  Also delicious are the cabbage rolls of Lithuania and the Baltic states, which I believe remain accessible in Russian food, along with Georgian dishes like Katchapouri (something like an oddly shaped pizza with butter and an egg on top of it, in addition to the meat and cheese). 

There is a pizza place in downtown LA which sells katchapouri albeit made with lots of American andnItalian ingredients, formexample, the choice of meat includes American style Pastrami, ehich is preferred.  Still, very good, and I am told, useful in the event of a hangover.  I have never had a hangover so I wouldn't know (all of my attempts at getting drunk have failed as I can't take the effects of alcohol past a certain threshold; the heat, the headache, the strange acheing in one's lower digestive faculties, the artificial need to use the loo prematurely, its quite miserable.  And tasty alcoholic beverages are rare.  I can do a single kir royale as an appertif with a Belgian beer like Duvel with the main course, and a small glass of cream sherry as a digestif, and that is positively it.  A shot of vodka would by that point kill me. 

This is the one respect in which I reject Russian food: the usual drinking that accompanies it.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »
This is the one respect in which I reject Russian food: the usual drinking that accompanies it.

And as they say, "No true Russian..."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2017, 03:47:35 PM »
I've been to several sovereign nations wholly landlocked by the U.S.

Oh man, I forgot about Indian territories...need to think.

Where I'd go?

-India

:-*
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:47:48 PM by Mor Ephrem »
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »

The trick is to move fast and dream of large women
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

I don't even mind the cold, but Chicago doesn't deserve the hype it's getting in this thread.  "It doesn't smell like urine" is about the best thing I can say about it in comparison to NYC.

Smaller rats and cockroaches, cheaper, less bed begs, quieter, more green, more space, easier parking, nicer people, better and cheaper restaurants, less gentrification...and you deal with less self-loathing Ohio and MI ex-pats making your life as a content Ohio or MI ex-pat miserable*.  Cubs and Bear fans bother me more than Yankee and Giants fans though

NYC is beautiful though; I used to live with my aunt in Astoria for summer breaks, and tried living there after college for a few months.  I haven't been to NYC in over 6 years but I loved Queens (especially Astoria), the Bronx, and the best Manhattan had to offer.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:01:32 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

And as they say, "No true Russian..."

It is embarrassing for a man of my nature to get out drank by a 90 pound Russian girl, but that has happened....I don't understand the pickle thing that accompanies the vodka, but it was an enjoyable custom.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »
Greece (especially Athens, Thesalloniki, Meteoras and tomb of st. Paisios)

Athens - worth it if you're into the Ancient sites.  If you're expecting pure Greek essence, you may not find it unless you go to the right neighborhoods and suburbs.  Some of the islands are very accessible from Piraeus (like Aegina, resting place of St. Nektarios's relics).

Thessaloniki - definitely worth it.  I want to go also, and have had to make due with tales from my Father-in-law, whose family roots are from Chios via Thessaloniki.

Meteora - definitely worth it.  Really.  Give yourself enough time to not only visit the monasteries and seep in the spiritual environment, but also to stop and take in the vista on the way in and out of the area.

Also: You could easily spend a few days touring the Pelopponesus (I'm biased).  Monemvasia is breathtaking; Patras (St. Andrew) and Kalamata are worthy stops.  Ancient Olympia, Mistra, Corinth, and Sparta for ancient sites.  The monastery of the Great Cave has a wax icon made by St. Luke the Evangelist which has survived 6 fires.  Beautiful caves navigable by boat.  A sunken Turkish ship in a beautiful harbor visible from your boat on a clear day.  And beaches that don't see too much tourist action.

Thank you father for these suggestions. I didn't know e.g about the gave wit st. Luke's icon - since He is my Slava, it would be an important place for me to visit.

The story of the Icon of Panagia of Mega Spelaio - http://full-of-grace-and-truth.blogspot.com/2008/10/icon-of-panagia-megalospilaiotissa-of.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Moni+Megalou+Spileou/@38.0900269,22.1721839,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x135fc16c58dbd831:0x84fa4cd2a4b6635e!8m2!3d38.0900269!4d22.1743726

Not terribly far from Athens, just off the road between Athens and Patras.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »
Excluding layovers:
Romania
Hungary
Austria
Germany -various cities on different occasions
Netherlands
France
Italy
Greece
Canada (Toronto, Windsor , Kitchener , Hamilton)
US ( Chicago, LA, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Houston, San Antonio, Atlanta , Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, NYC, Minneapolis, Greenville etc)
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »

Chicago is pretty much everything you hate about NYC with all the good stuff removed.  Although, there is one nice area in Chicago, the area by the shore of Lake Michigan, around the Drake Hotel, where you can get, or could, in 2006, last time I stayed there, a delicious steak, a crab chowder with  sherry wine, and at the very old fashioned sea food restaurant, get a delicious platter of baked Lake Perch, which are incredibly flavourful fish native to the great lakes; they taste a bit like unaji (freshwater eel) but, unlike unaji, do not require being slathered with teriyaki sauce and served with rice in nigiri or chirashi sushi to provide edibility; they are tasty on their own merits.  This is adjacent to the very posh northern inner suburbs at the north edge of downtown.

Is it worth enduring the horrors of O'Hare to get there?  No.  Chicago also illegally closed their one civilized airport by tearing up the runway in 2003, and got a find from the FAA, and thus your choice is OHare, which is a rathole, or Midway, which is a hole leading to someplace far darker. 

If I ever visit the family in Northern Illinois again, I will fly to Milwaukee and rent a car there.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »

Chicago is pretty much everything you hate about NYC with all the good stuff removed.  Although, there is one nice area in Chicago, the area by the shore of Lake Michigan, around the Drake Hotel, where you can get, or could, in 2006, last time I stayed there, a delicious steak, a crab chowder with  sherry wine, and at the very old fashioned sea food restaurant, get a delicious platter of baked Lake Perch, which are incredibly flavourful fish native to the great lakes; they taste a bit like unaji (freshwater eel) but, unlike unaji, do not require being slathered with teriyaki sauce and served with rice in nigiri or chirashi sushi to provide edibility; they are tasty on their own merits.  This is adjacent to the very posh northern inner suburbs at the north edge of downtown.

Is it worth enduring the horrors of O'Hare to get there?  No.  Chicago also illegally closed their one civilized airport by tearing up the runway in 2003, and got a find from the FAA, and thus your choice is OHare, which is a rathole, or Midway, which is a hole leading to someplace far darker. 

If I ever visit the family in Northern Illinois again, I will fly to Milwaukee and rent a car there.
it's news to me that Streeterville is adjacent to the northern suburbs. It's like 20 miles in between.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
So, where have I been?

In the US, all West Coast states, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, both Carolinas, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Massachussets, Connecticut, Vermont, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia.  I have actually lived in California, Arizona, Florida and Illinois; I grew up in Tucson, and nowadays I live in the High Desert primarily in California, but I spend about half the year in Nevada and Arizona, although I remain a resident of the Golden State, which alas has seen better days.

In Europe: lived in the England, traveled to Wales, spent some time in France, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Poland, travelled in Germany (very extensively), Denmark, Norway (extensively), Sweden (extensively), Luxembourg, Belgium, and Ireland (Cork).

In Africa: Ghana, lived there for two years, nearly went to Burkina Faso, I wish I had because now the civil war has ruined it, just like Togo got ruined in the late 90s.  I would not want to go to Benin as I do not like the Dahomey culture or their Voudun religion, which made their country the main engine of the French slave trade, surpassing Cote d'Voire.  I much prefer the Ashante of Ghana, who converted almost without exception to Christianity, and whose original religion was less...disturbing.  The Ashante were also relatively less efficient at slaving, and tended not to completely enslave tribes; lots of smaller tribes remain in Ghana, hundreds,  whereas in Benin, you could practically rename the country Dahomey; the main minority are the Yoruba from Nigeria.  The Ashante Empire was still evil, but it was Franco compared to Hitler; and they are remorseful.  The Ashantehene, their King, and the other tribal chiefs in Ghana, are appointed by the President according to each tribe's customs, except for the Dagbon, where the two moeity lines are suppoosed to share the chiefdom by taking turns, but got into the habit of one moiety assasinating the new chief from the other moeity as soon as he was enstooled, so after going through about ten chiefs since 1995, President Kufuor refused to appoint any more.

Where do I want to go?  A better question would be, where do I not want to go?  Belize, Benin, Guyana, Guiana, and Suriname are the only places that come instantly to mind; Papau New Guinea could be hit or miss, and the Solomon Islands such as Guadalcanal sound very unpleasant.  North Korea also is pretty low on the agenda unless Kim Jong Un has an epiphany of repentance and falls on his knees to beg the forgiveness of the entire planet, starting with his people.  Also, Burma sounds nasty, with the horrible genocide against the Rohingya. 

North Sudan might be good to visit from the safety of a well armed gunboat sailing down the Nile from Ethiopia, to avenge General Gordon and the Christians of Khartoum, and the prople of Darfur, especially in light of the horrible incident with the pregnant Ethiopian Orthodox lady who, as a result of giving birth while chained to the floor, apparently can no longer walk.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »

it's news to me that Streeterville is adjacent to the northern suburbs. It's like 20 miles in between.

Not the Northern Suburbs per se, but the inner residential neighborhood of very expensive, large houses on leafy streets at the very edge of downtown, or perhaps technically in downtown.  The proper Northern Suburbs I think of as being places like Skokie or Evanston.

Fun fact: the now abandoned interurban railway the Chicago and North Shore Electric ran trains from Milwaukee onto the El, all the way to the Loop.  Also, the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin provided direct service from the Loop; when they were cut back to a terminal station around 1952 due to Blue Line construction, that caused their bankruptcy.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
Then you mean neighborhoods like the Gold Coast etc. I still think your assessment of Chicago is really off. But de gustibus ...