Author Topic: Modern Teens: Dating, Drinking, & Sexy Timing  (Read 3548 times)

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Modern Teens: Dating, Drinking, & Sexy Timing
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 02:18:36 AM »
Thanks for posting this. Much food for thought. Interesting that in a way natural virtue wins despite the media pushing adult vices onto teens, but not good of course if otherwise the teens aren't really growing up. Some of the article seems to be boomers romanticizing their own bad behavior (doesn't every older generation?). Hooray for natural virtue including healthy nerds (the boy with friends who talk about books or sci-fi) but boo to the unnatural prolongation of childhood. That said, a solution is something the writer would condemn as immature: to bring back extended families in which it was traditional for singles to keep living at home (related: bring back courtship where the families approve a union; scrap dating as we know it, which has brought us disease, divorce, abortion, and hearts broken many times).

Still, a lot of women of various ages go about with headphones on, even without music actually playing, in an effort to avoid being accosted by entitled jerks. Seriously.

Sin distorts women's God-given desire for strong "entitled" men. The quotation really says headphones are good for screening out men a woman thinks (and sometimes she's right) are beneath her (low status and maybe not handsome; power turns women on more than looks even though looks matter). Seriously. The manosphere is reality; Christians have to deal with it as kindly as possible.

If the Manosphere and their "Human Biodiversity" fellow travelers are reality, then the only response is Skopticism. We would truly be a cursed species.

So... probably better to behave as though they aren't regardless.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:20:48 AM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »
Me: I'm not talking about church now; I'm talking Christian to Christian and man to man about conservative social stuff (such as the manosphere).
You: NERD!

You'll grab onto mainstream lefty stuff to spite Rome.

Hobby church/exotic Episcopalianism. Charming.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Who said anything about Rome? Rome could hardly be blamed for your preening man-childhood. Orthodox man-children show up here from time to time and are paid the same respect.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
Me: I'm not talking about church now; I'm talking Christian to Christian and man to man about conservative social stuff (such as the manosphere).

Because when Matt Forney writes articles with titles like How to Crush a Girl's Self-Esteem and Why Fat Girls Don't Deserve to be Loved

When Roosh Valizadeh writes antisemitic conspiracy crap and openly admits to date rape with no censure at all

When A Voice for Men publishes the manifesto of Thomas James Ball which literally calls for violence against the officers of divorce courts and publishes people like Jack Barnes who declare that "'harassing' will continue and accelerate. We're not going to stop until no one will openly admit to being a feminist."

The first thing that comes to mind is honest man to man discourse.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »

So a bunch of losers who waste their lives harassing women every chance they get while masturbating to fantasies of legal rape and degradation because they can't find anyone willing to have sex with them is just 'conservative social stuff' to you.

Good to know.

Migrating the topic because this has gone beyond light talk.~A
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »

So a bunch of losers who waste their lives harassing women every chance they get while masturbating to fantasies of legal rape and degradation because they can't find anyone willing to have sex with them is just 'conservative social stuff' to you.

Good to know.

Make him a sammich.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

Because when Matt Forney writes articles with titles like How to Crush a Girl's Self-Esteem and Why Fat Girls Don't Deserve to be Loved

When Roosh Valizadeh writes antisemitic conspiracy crap and openly admits to date rape with no censure at all

When A Voice for Men publishes the manifesto of Thomas James Ball which literally calls for violence against the officers of divorce courts and publishes people like Jack Barnes who declare that "'harassing' will continue and accelerate. We're not going to stop until no one will openly admit to being a feminist."

I haven't heard of these men before, but am not surprised.  Would be even less surprised if they are all US citizens, born and raised.

I think the old paradigms brought here from Europe aren't really working out very well.

Neither are some of the ones that were here before. 

Some of the Natives here were shocked at the kind of life the Europeans wanted to impose on them. 

The male life in some bands was just hunt, fight in battle for peer respect, and then sit around while women did all the work.

Looks like that caught on in some circles. 
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »

Good to know.

Make him a sammich.

No, it's "Womun, git back in the trilair an' make me sum pie!"

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

I haven't heard of these men before, but am not surprised.  Would be even less surprised if they are all US citizens, born and raised.

I think the old paradigms brought here from Europe aren't really working out very well.

Some of the Natives here were shocked at the kind of life the Europeans wanted to impose on them. 

The male life in some bands was just hunt, fight in battle for peer respect, and then sit around while women did all the work.

Pretty sure they all are, yes. Though you can find a few non-American manospherians, as well.

The genealogy of this stuff gets pretty complex and often kind of overwhelms me. The short version is something like: "pick-up artist" classes meets bad readings of evolutionary psychology meets the Dark Enlightenment (which increasingly) meets Charles Murray and other "race realists."

Medieval nostalgia as a reaction against the recent economic crisis and terrorism crisis which they blame on the "softness" of the world that Third Wave Feminism and political correctness (very broadly defined) have made.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:25:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

Good to know.

Make him a sammich.

Payment in advance.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
No, the American President is a load of destructive negativity.
Learn meditation.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »

Pretty sure they all are, yes. Though you can find a few non-American manospherians, as well.

The genealogy of this stuff gets pretty complex and often kind of overwhelms me. The short version is something like: "pick-up artist" classes meets bad readings of evolutionary psychology meets the Dark Enlightenment (which increasingly) meets Charles Murray and other "race realists."

Medieval nostalgia as a reaction against the recent economic crisis and terrorism crisis which they blame on the "softness" of the world that Third Wave Feminism and political correctness (very broadly defined) have made.

So, basically, a bunch of puling mean spirited selfish entitled dishonest with themselves and others thieving low life dishonourable forked tongue LARPy materialist sees women as objects and symbols misogynist white guys tilting at windmills.  Got it.

Not much different than our slavers and covered wagon pioneers of earlier years.   No wonder the Comancheria used to amuse themselves torturing these people before freeing them of their scalp.

It appears that Orthodoxy in America is becoming a haven for these nutcases as they dimly perceive male dominance embedded in woodenly set traditionalism.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
Maybe not so much since Matthew Heimbach was shown the door (Not sure if he's actually a manospherian or not. Wouldn't be surprised)?

Also, though it's important to not make too much of this for obvious reasons, they might be put off by how vocal Orthodox women can be (that's a compliment).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:17:23 PM by Volnutt »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
Most of the known persons I'm familiar with aren't manosphere-proper people, but rather seem to be manosphere-adjacent and identify mostly as 'sceptics': Sargon of Akkad, Thunderfoot, Armoured Skeptic, Black Pigeon Speaks, etc. The ones that are closer, like Davis Aurini and Roosh, I know mostly because of them being pilloried by leftists. Either way I don't really recall coming across many with much interest in Orthodoxy, at least in English-speaking circles. Not that Orthodox with similar ideas don't exist, but they just seem to have different focuses and purposes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:27:56 PM by Asteriktos »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
Most of the known persons I'm familiar with aren't manosphere-proper people, but rather seem to be manosphere-adjacent and identify mostly as 'sceptics': Sargon of Akkad, Thunderfoot, Armoured Skeptic, Black Pigeon Speaks, etc. The ones that are closer, like Davis Aurini and Roosh, I know mostly because of them being pilloried by leftists. Either way I don't really recall coming across many with much interest in Orthodoxy, at least in English-speaking circles. Not that Orthodox with similar ideas don't exist, but they just seem to have different focuses and purposes.

Aurini! I forgot about everybody's favorite Holocaust denyin, karate fightin, Nosferatu-lookalike! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw (slight language warning).

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »

Aurini! I forgot about everybody's favorite Holocaust denyin, karate fightin, Nosferatu-lookalike! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw (slight language warning).

Looked at his About tab on YouTube. The dude seriously brags that he is a reactionary. How very boring.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
It's a jungle out there: the fallen natural order, human nature affected by sin, is ugly. The manosphere reflects that: reality. It's information you can use morally, to get and keep a relationship/marriage (so, for example, the man doesn't get cleaned out in a divorce, most of which are started by bored women after their money), or immorally (using women for sex and dumping them). It's home truths/folk wisdom ("Be attentive!") about the sexes (that wouldn't surprise yiayias and babas, you know, real Orthodox, if they consciously thought about it/were made conscious of it) that mainstream American society, including the churches, doesn't teach you anymore. Men like beauty and sweetness; women like power and confidence; that sort of thing. Assertiveness/social skills for men who need or want to learn them. Falling for liberalism is understandable; it's a Christian heresy, very familiar/comfortable.

The fellow who pesters girls will eventually get a yes, whether it's moral or not and from someone not necessarily that attractive, if he doesn't seem desperate. The one who does nothing won't.

A window on the feminine psyche (id, hindbrain); never mind what you've been socialized to think and say: how many sweet, respectful betas ("allies of feminism") are on romance-novel covers?

The name-calling speaks for itself; sub-Christian. Arguably this isn't a Christian board but a hobby one for people who fetishize the Eastern rites of Christianity.

My hat, etc.: part of my own culture and I don't say you have to adopt these to be Catholic; you don't have to latinize either. The Orthodox really want everybody to be Eastern. I like Eastern forms but don't make that demand, even implicitly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:25:57 AM by The young fogey »
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:04 AM »
It's a jungle out there: the fallen natural order, human nature affected by sin, is ugly. The manosphere reflects that: reality. It's information you can use morally, to get and keep a relationship/marriage (so, for example, the man doesn't get cleaned out in a divorce, most of which are started by bored women after their money), or immorally (using women for sex and dumping them). It's home truths/folk wisdom ("Be attentive!") about the sexes (that wouldn't surprise yiayias and babas, you know, real Orthodox, if they consciously thought about it/were made conscious of it) that mainstream American society, including the churches, doesn't teach you anymore. Men like beauty and sweetness; women like power and confidence; that sort of thing. Assertiveness/social skills for men who need or want to learn them. Falling for liberalism is understandable; it's a Christian heresy, very familiar/comfortable.

The fellow who pesters girls will eventually get a yes, whether it's moral or not and from someone not necessarily that attractive. The one who does nothing won't.

A window on the feminine psyche (id, hindbrain); never mind what you've been socialized to think and say: how many sweet, respectful betas ("allies of feminism") are on romance-novel covers?

The name-calling speaks for itself; sub-Christian. Arguably this isn't a Christian board but a hobby one for people who fetishize the Eastern rites of Christianity.

My hat, etc.: part of my own culture and I don't say you have to adopt these to be Catholic; you don't have to latinize either. The Orthodox really want everybody to be Eastern. I like Eastern forms but don't make that demand, even implicitly.

How is pestering girls until you get a date moral? I think you've been watching too many 80s rom coms.

Let alone how you could possibly think that something like negging or dread game is moral in any religion.

Like I said, it would be better to see the entire species castrated than live in a world like that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:42:44 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 07:25:03 AM »
The manurospherians are not looking for relationships, they're looking for sex.

Their entire rage is fuelled by the delusion that they are entitled to sex, and those damn females won't give it to them, but will give it to other men. Not a shred of self-awareness that they can't get laid because maybe something is wrong with them. Like coming across as the manipulative creeps they are.

The creep who pesters girls may eventually get a restraining order, if the authorities take the girl seriously. (Not very likely, considering those who sent rape threats to Jessica Valenti's 5-year-old daughter are still going free.)

The woman who keeps saying no, on the other hand, is a lot more likely to get shot, stabbed or strangled for it. Guess what - we will keep saying no.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:30:54 AM by Arachne »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
The manurospherians are not looking for relationships, they're looking for sex.

Their entire rage is fuelled by the delusion that they are entitled to sex, and those damn females won't give it to them, but will give it to other men. Not a shred of self-awareness that they can't get laid because maybe something is wrong with them. Like coming across as the manipulative creeps they are.

The creep who pesters girls may eventually get a restraining order, if the authorities take the girl seriously. (Not very likely, considering those who sent rape threats to Jessica Valenti's 5-year-old daughter are still going free.)

The woman who keeps saying no, on the other hand, is a lot more likely to get shot, stabbed or strangled for it. Guess what - we will keep saying no.

Just to add a point, they do believe in self-change in the sense of becoming more "alpha" but even that's framed in a reactionary, misogynistic way. But, yeah. Point taken. Especially when this winds up taking a racial/Eurocentric angle and they start blaming women for "mudsharking" because white men are not alpha enough for their hindbrains.

I had no idea about Jessica Valenti's daughter :'(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:03:58 AM by Volnutt »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »
Falling for liberalism is understandable; it's a Christian heresy, very familiar/comfortable.

<snip></snip>

(id, hindbrain)

<snip></snip>

Also, something tells me that Freudian terminology and modern Pop Psych doesn't exactly jibe with Syllabus Errorum.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
It's a jungle out there: the fallen natural order, human nature affected by sin, is ugly. The manosphere reflects that: reality.

Yes, rapists, rape apologists, and rape fantasists are real. Pardon me if I don't take their advice on relating to women.

Ah yes, romance novel cover art, the key to the female id. Wait, are you trying to look like Fabio? Because I thought you were channeling Bogie and the signal got crossed with Steve Urkel.

Uh huh.

Yeah, here I am sitting in my fustanella and kokoshnik sipping mountain tea. No Latin stitches on me, no sir!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »

Another thing I find odd about Manospherians (and especially Neoreactionaries like Mencius Moldbug) is that they'll praise traditional religions for their patriarchal elements while remaining almost all militant atheists themselves. Case in point, Roosh praising Islam's alleged ability to control "feral" women and encouraging his fans to start reading Ali ibn Abi Talib while also fantasizing about moving to Europe to lead an anti-Muslim insurgency.

Also, badly photoshopped Taqiyah because he was too lazy to go buy one(?):

Source
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:00:22 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Men getting together online instead of in a bar to bemoan about their failures with the fair sex instead of bragging about their success doesn't sound manly where I come from, especially the part about coining a new word to describe themselves.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:33:38 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
The manosphere is useful but what strikes me here is men who claim to disdain it are scholars on it, citing authors and almost quoting chapter and verse.

Orthodoxy's wonderfully reactionary. The people who make Athenos hummus probably meant to make fun of that with the Yiayia characters in a series of commercials but I liked those anyway.

"Why you no have job?"
"Well, my wife works and I stay at home with the kids..."
"YOU are wife!"
(Kids laugh.)

To some liberated American girl: "This looks like the pornography!"

A reason I still use the Byzantine Rite.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:37:21 PM by The young fogey »

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
What the hell is going on here...?
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
What the hell is going on here...?

You tell me. I have no idea. Something about going to the Divine Liturgy because you like a brand of yoghurt, I think.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
Just a reactionary who likes Orthodox culture but doesn't believe the church is limited to that culture.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2017, 09:26:35 PM »
The manosphere is useful but what strikes me here is men who claim to disdain it are scholars on it, citing authors and almost quoting chapter and verse.

Wow...

When I first started posting those things, I have to admit I was rather expecting you to try and No True Scotsman your way out of agreeing with them, "I don't support rape legalization or think Matt Forney is right to "crush" women's self-esteem or think Thomas James Ball is right to call for violence against the officers of divorce courts or think that black animal-men are coming for our white women! I just want to improve my game!" But apparently, you don't mind any of this vile crap, do you? Apparently Arachne was right you just consider it "conservative social stuff," huh?

Wow.

Please never reproduce.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
It's home truths/folk wisdom ("Be attentive!") about the sexes that mainstream American society, including the churches, doesn't teach you anymore. Men like beauty and sweetness; women like power and confidence; that sort of thing.

Huh? Google "things [women/men] find attractive in [men/women]" and see how many of those articles, written from all sorts of POVs, don't list things like confidence or some form of 'sweetness.' Probably close to zero. As for beauty, yep, the women that a man finds attractive will be considered attractive by him. And vice versa.

yiayias and babas, you know, real Orthodox

Speaking of 'fetishizing'  :police:

Assertiveness/social skills for men who need or want to learn them.

Most of what I've seen is the same pop psych stuff that everyone teaches about how to put up a good front if you don't actually have much confidence. This is not unique to the manosphere. Certain things with body language and mannerisms, the way you talk, how you should have something interesting to say, etc. are discussed by everyone. The only ones unique to the manosphere seems to be jerk tactics like negging.

The fellow who pesters girls will eventually get a yes, whether it's moral or not and from someone not necessarily that attractive, if he doesn't seem desperate.

Well it works in the movies and tv shows, anyway. I'm not sure how often in real life a person can "pester" a girl and not seem desperate. Actually it sounds pretty bayta.

So far as I know most lead dudes in romance novels simultaneously have all possible positive qualities, including sweetness and respectfulness (each displayed at the time in the plot when it most helps maximize his attractiveness). Not sure what romance novel covers has to do with being respectful or sweet though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:38:52 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
Most of what I've seen is the same pop psych stuff that everyone teaches about how to put up a good front if you don't actually have much confidence. This is not unique to the manosphere. Certain things with body language and mannerisms, the way you talk, how you should have something interesting to say, etc. are discussed by everyone.

Right; a lot of it is not unique, and it's true. The thing is, thanks to feminism, mainstream relationship advice for the past 50 years has been a lie, as if men were supposed to turn into women. It doesn't work. Consider that women who are not abused start most divorces.

The only ones unique to the manosphere seems to be jerk tactics like negging.

When you really don't care about the outcome of the encounter and can flip the script so the girl's trying to please you, you're doing it right.

I'm not sure how often in real life a person can "pester" a girl and not seem desperate. Actually it sounds pretty bayta.

Good point. Rephrasing: if you talk to enough girls while having the right attitude, which includes handling lots of rejection calmly (see above about not caring about the outcome), eventually you'll get a yes.

Not sure what romance novel covers has to do with being respectful or sweet though.

That's just it: they don't! Nice girls are socialized to say they want respectful and sweet but really want something else.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »
It's home truths/folk wisdom ("Be attentive!") about the sexes that mainstream American society, including the churches, doesn't teach you anymore. Men like beauty and sweetness; women like power and confidence; that sort of thing.

Huh? Google "things [women/men] find attractive in [men/women]" and see how many of those articles, written from all sorts of POVs, don't list things like confidence or some form of 'sweetness.' Probably close to zero. As for beauty, yep, the women that a man finds attractive will be considered attractive by him. And vice versa.

I'm a man and I find confidence highly attractive in a woman. I also don't really care if she makes more than me or can beat me up, which I guess fogey would say makes me a mangina.

And then of course there's the existence of BBW (Big Beautiful Woman) porn and chubby chasing guys which the Manosphere can only dismiss as the result of societal brainwashing, I guess (was Peter Paul Rubens brainwashed by Third Wave Feminism? How about the maker of the Willendorf Venus?) I say it's dirty pool to automatically dismiss out of hand evidence that conflicts with your hypothesis.

Quote from: The Young Fogey
That's just it: they don't! Nice girls are socialized to say they want respectful and sweet but really want something else.

Starting the countdown until fogey winds up in jail.... now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:02:22 PM by Volnutt »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
I can't not think of the Soul Glo guy when this stuff comes up.  :angel:

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »
Most of what I've seen is the same pop psych stuff that everyone teaches about how to put up a good front if you don't actually have much confidence. This is not unique to the manosphere. Certain things with body language and mannerisms, the way you talk, how you should have something interesting to say, etc. are discussed by everyone.

Right; a lot of it is not unique, and it's true. The thing is, thanks to feminism, mainstream relationship advice for the past 50 years has been a lie, as if men were supposed to turn into women. It doesn't work. Consider that women who are not abused start most divorces.

I think you might want to rephrase this.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
Gotcha.

Rephrasing: women start 70% of American divorces and it's not because of abuse.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
Gotcha.

Rephrasing: women start 70% of American divorces and it's not because of abuse.

Funny, if much of the manoshpere got their way, both of those things would change.

Let he who has ears to hear decide in which directions.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
YF, everything you wrote: No.  Just no.  There is nothing Christian about any of it; don't blaspheme God by trying to put His name on your attitude.  That's all I'm saying--for my sake, not yours.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
YF, everything you wrote: No.  Just no.  There is nothing Christian about any of it; don't blaspheme God by trying to put His name on your attitude.  That's all I'm saying--for my sake, not yours.

Amen.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:13 PM »
No wonder so many American men don't go to church.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:19 PM »

This is an odd response to two women telling you that you are wrong about women... ???

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »

I thought you said American men were all turning into betas. Pick one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:45:46 PM by Volnutt »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 01:25:17 AM »

Women are becoming less desirable, and men are becoming betas. I don't see those as being contradictions.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 02:03:40 AM »

Women are becoming less desirable, and men are becoming betas. I don't see those as being contradictions.

Are men shying away from formerly manly things like Church and becoming betas? It's because the women are driving them away or emasculating them!

Are less men getting laid into relationships? It's because the women are all gross fatties!

Everything you do is their fault, right? Almost like you don't see them as human but as a convenient scapegoat for all your problems. Nah, that'd just be crazy....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:04:07 AM by Volnutt »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:02 AM »

Are men shying away from formerly manly things like Church and becoming betas? It's because the women are driving them away or emasculating them!

Are less men getting laid into relationships? It's because the women are all gross fatties!

Everything you do is their fault, right? Almost like you don't see them as human but as a convenient scapegoat for all your problems. Nah, that'd just be crazy....

I cannot actually tell whether you're directing this comment at me, or not. I also cannot tell whether you're criticizing my description of women or my description of men.

The truth hurts. Men aren't betas because of women, that's just a convenient excuse. Men are becoming betas because they are pathetic. If women were in fact, the reason you were a beta, that actually proves that you're pathetic.

As for women, I guess the same thing applies. If you are a fat, ugly, feminist, polyamorous, pansexual, SJW who is raging mad and triggered at the world for being so hateful and wronging you all of the time and everywhere you are. It's not the world which you despise, it's the fact that you suck at life that you despise.

Everyone needs to grow up. Everyone coddles everyone else and everyone agrees thereby that being a man-child the age of 76 is a good idea and should be encouraged.

I speak for myself as much as I speak about others here, I am a very irresponsible and unproductive person and I am not proud of it and neither should anybody else be.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:39:15 AM by xOrthodox4Christx »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches