Author Topic: Modern Teens: Dating, Drinking, & Sexy Timing  (Read 9562 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Modern Teens: Dating, Drinking, & Sexy Timing
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
Also the ages that the scholars think Mary and Joseph were.

No, just Mary. Joseph was a widower with at least half-grown children; nowhere near his teens.

Traditional in societies.

Some societies.

That reminds me: ideally in the Catholic/Orthodox society where we've scrapped 2010s dating for courtship, extended family (yes, it does take a village, a pious, industrious Christian one) gives a support system from jobs (apprenticeships, networking) to child care to accumulated wisdom from elders, so you don't have our society's weird prolongation of childhood (adult vices, though the article in the original post points out a counter-current to that, but people in their 20s and 30s acting like irresponsible teenagers); no sex problem because men can be men and women be women when their glands are telling them to be.

Way to fetishise a society that practically no longer exists, peppered with elements that hardly ever existed in the first place.

Marry when your body's at its sexual peak.

Around the mid-20s, then.

If he's really imbibed the manosphere, then he likely means 15.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
I understand in cultures that have arranged marriages, the boy and girl have veto power.

LOL - no, you don't.

Depends on the culture.  I've known lots of people over three generations who had arranged marriages (my grandparents' generation, my parents', mine).  In the vast majority of cases, the prospective brides and grooms had veto power.

I wonder how much of that's the result of liberalization, though? Less likely in the case of your grandparents yes, but I wonder if your great-grandparents or great-great-grandparents had veto power.

So what is the implication here?  That relatively isolated and ignorant jungle people forced their children against their will to marry whoever they decided until the benevolent Europeans, armed with their Austen and Bronte novels, arrived to oppress our oppression out of us and, mirabile dictu, we are now able to marry whomever we choose?   

The comments to which I responded were written in the present tense.  A lot of people in the West have weird ideas about arranged marriages, and while I'm not a champion of that system (personally, I have no desire to avail myself of it), it would be foolish to pretend that it cannot be as viable an option as picking your own spouse, that it is always and necessarily less healthy, etc.

I think my intent was something more along the lines of "the memeplex of liberalism slowly spreads through each culture in turn and that India has surely gotten a whiff of it as time goes on just through contact and trade or homegrown rebels." I don't think the European boot was required. And I certainly don't think that 19th Century Europe was some progressive magic land in terms of marriage.

I can see how my post sounded like that though, and I'm sorry.

No worries, I wasn't directing that to you in particular, more to the sentiment because it's not uncommon.

Fair enough.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »
If Asteriktos says, I'll bow out.

As far as I'm concerned, OPs have little or no control over the flow of a conversation. People talk about what they want to talk about. That'd seem to be especially true with OPs like the one with this thread :)

Alrighty :)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
What are we suggesting is the takeaway from the popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey?
That suburban housewives still don't have a clue not only what BDSM is (that's inconsequential) but also what an abusive relationship looks like (which can be crucial to their own wellbeing, and that of their children).
Just suburban housewives? Or, for that matter, only women?

Perhaps just with 50 shades...I'd say that I don't know any man who read it, but then I don't think I know a single woman who read it either...
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2017, 02:52:11 AM »
What are we suggesting is the takeaway from the popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey?
That suburban housewives still don't have a clue not only what BDSM is (that's inconsequential) but also what an abusive relationship looks like (which can be crucial to their own wellbeing, and that of their children).
Just suburban housewives? Or, for that matter, only women?

Well, one suburban housewife, at least.

Perhaps just with 50 shades...I'd say that I don't know any man who read it, but then I don't think I know a single woman who read it either...

None who would admit it, that is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:52:34 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »
Apparently some would, since I remember seeing women reading it in public at uni (at least one, anyway).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »

None who would admit it, that is.

I will admit* having watched the film adaptation, and even allowing for "the book is better than the movie", the best thing I could say about it is that it is an entirely ridiculous story.  But in reality, I was actually offended, which I did not expect going in.

*Whether this admission raised doubts in the hearts of the weaker brethren concerning my manliness, all I can say is that I have no doubts, and am willing to prove it, provide references, etc.   
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »
behaviorist approach to sexuality.
lol
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.