Author Topic: Prayer before Sunday School?  (Read 677 times)

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
Prayer before Sunday School?
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:02:10 AM »
What is a good prayer to say before starting a Sunday School for teens?
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re: Prayer before Sunday School?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
"Our Father, who art in heaven..."
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »
I saw a formal prayer for this purpose in one of my prayer books.  I think it was my deacon's service book from the SOC-WUS actually.

But yes, the Lord's Prayer is pretty ideal, along with the Creed and perhaps a Psalm or the Trisagion.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:13:11 AM »
I guess if you want something specific, this will do:

Prayer Before Studying the Bible
Master who loves us, shine Your eternal light in our hearts that we may better know you. Help us to fully understand Your gospel message. Instill in us respect for Your holy commandments, that by overcoming our worldly desires we might live a spiritual life of thoughts and deeds which pleases You. We ask this of You, O Christ our god, for You are the light of our souls and bodies and You we glorify with Your eternal Father and Your all-holy good and life-giving Spirit now and forever. Amen.

Shine within my heart, loving Master, the pure light of Your divine knowledge, and open the eyes of my mind that I may understand Your teachings. Instill in me also reverence for Your blessed commandments, so that having conquered sinful desires I may pursue a spiritual way of life, thinking and doing all those things that are pleasing to You. For You, Christ my God, are my light, and to You I give glory together with Your Father and Your Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline urg8rb8

• Elder
  • Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of North America
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:21:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  I was originally thinking about doing part of the trisagion prayer:

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art in all places and fillest all things; Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us and cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O gracious Lord.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
"Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise." - Psalm 51:15

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
When I taught Sunday school we always used the prayers from Saint Nektarios as he is known for education :)
Also depending on if your Sunday school is before church or during, you can also read the prayers before communion if you have teens that will commune that you know wouldn't of said the prayers at home.
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
When I taught Sunday school we always used the prayers from Saint Nektarios as he is known for education :)
Also depending on if your Sunday school is before church or during, you can also read the prayers before communion if you have teens that will commune that you know wouldn't of said the prayers at home.

Did you repeat these together, or did you listen to the teacher say them? Pardon my ignorance.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
The prayer I have seen used consistently, before Sunday School and also adult study sessions, is "O Heavenly King..."
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
The prayer I have seen used consistently, before Sunday School and also adult study sessions, is "O Heavenly King..."

We usually open church, and church meetings by singing "O Heavenly King..." Stichera tone VI, and usually close by singing, "It is truly meet.." tropar tone VIII

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
"Our Father, who art in heaven..."

It's been a long while, but I think that's what we did