Author Topic: How does The Orthodox Church deal with Closet Occultists/Witches in The Church?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
These people are everywhere hidden in every single branch of The Christian faith (Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Protestantism).
Not always hidden.  At a local Roman Catholic parish, in its website, the services of a Runes practitioner were advertised alongside Confession and pastoral counseling.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Here is an orthodox witch that says she Even haș The blessing of The local bishop:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvuzfTye9M

Obviously not a witch. She makes none of the appropriate hand gestures.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
If this occult jazz were true, wouldn't its practitioners literally rule the world instead of being rinky-dink fortune-tellers?
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Jude1:3

• Elder
  • I Believe The Apostles'/Nicene Creed
  • Faith: Christian
If this occult jazz were true, wouldn't its practitioners literally rule the world instead of being rinky-dink fortune-tellers?

Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.  And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”
• Matthew 4:8-9

It shall come to pass in that day
That the Lord will punish on high the host of exalted ones,
And on the earth The Kings of the earth.
 They will be gathered together,
As prisoners are gathered in the pit,
And will be shut up in the prison;
After many days they will be punished.
• Isaiah 24:21-22

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
You don't need to practice any special rituals or know any secret symbols to worship Satan.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA

This is a fairly good point. The Evil One does not primarily accomplish his works by Things that Go Bump in the Night. Rather, he uses the great and the learned as his tyrants and heresiarchs. These are occult only in the sense that they love darkness rather than light, and often veil their power in benign-sounding propaganda. The fascination of some Christians with demonic apparitions and witchcraft is at least very poor prioritization.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

This is a fairly good point.

I don't know.  I don't really think that's how sin or getting sucked into something like black magic would work.  I think it is more a thing with lots of allure that offers lots of promises that continually don't pan out and dig a person into a deeper and deeper hole.  Generally speaking I would bet horrible spiritual practices are probably going to empirically manifest just like most other things with the same ups and downs we would notice with any broad phenomena.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:04:26 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

I don't know.  I don't really think that's how sin or getting sucked into something like black magic would work.  I think it is more a thing with lots of allure that offers lots of promises that continually don't pan out and dig a person into a deeper and deeper hole.  Generally speaking I would bet horrible spiritual practices are probably going to empirically manifest just like most other things with the same ups and downs we would notice with any broad phenomena.

Do you believe Satan is the god of this world?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch

It's what the  Pauline sect originally preached.

"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

It's what the  Pauline sect originally preached.

Don't you hate it when you try to post a bit of snippy sacrilege and get the quote-blocks all mixed up?

Offline William T

• Archon

There is only one God and it isn't some fallen angel, principality, or power.  But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  The original quote speculated that if a person practicing witchcraft really could they would dominate the world.  That's not necessarily true anymore than people who are susceptible to lust or avarice.  There are a lot of greedy individuals who try to use money as power but are broke as a joke.  These things are simply tools of temptation of the devil and our own fallen natures, that's it.

The process in which sin dehumanizes is the issue, and in no way shape or form is black magic evidently more dangerous than many other sins or temptations.  This should be basic.  How many Faustian like narratives do we have where the devil makes a bargain with black magic and it gets delivered to the person in the most unsatisfactory way available...it works about the same when you get addicted to fame, money, sex, status, drugs, etc.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:53:26 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

There is only one God and it isn't some fallen angel, principality, or power.  But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  The original quotespeculated that if a person practicing witchcraft really could they would dominate the world.  That's not necessarily true anymore than people who are susceptible to lust or avarice.  There are a lot of greedy individuals who try to use money as power but are broke as a joke.  These things are simply tools of temptation of the devil and our own fallen natures, that's it.

The process in which sin dehumanizes is the issue, and in no way shape or form is black magic evidently more dangerous than many other sins or temptations.  This should be basic.  How many Faustian like narratives do we have where the devil makes a bargain with black magic and it gets delivered to the person in the most unsatisfactory way available...it works about the same when you get addicted to fame, money, sex, status, drugs, etc.

Well, you're wrong there. St. Paul writes: "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost, in whom the god of this world [ὁ θεὸς τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου] hath blinded the minds of them which believe not," and St. John writes: ὁ κόσμος ὅλος ἐν τῷ πονηρῷ κεῖται: "The whole world lieth in the grip of the Evil One," as well as similar teaching in his First Epistle. And, yes, it does have to do with the topic at hand, because what Satan wishes to accomplish within the limits set for his purpose by God, he does. Thus we see the very effective cruelty of war and oppression, and the very effective confusion of false education. Yet we do not see any very effective use of witchcraft. Certainly not in proportion to the obsession of some Christians, which I took as Mr. Fogey's point. But I also agree with you to a certain extent, as far as admitting two points, viz., that witchcraft still has its temptations and pernicious effects, and that no man has a guarantee of worldly success even if he commits himself to evil. Now why don't you admit my point that the person who commits himself to evil in terms of ambition and guile has statistically a much higher chance of success than the dabbler in witchcraft?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: One, Holy, Ethnic and Disorganized
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Most of them are christians.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:41:48 PM by Indocern »

Offline William T

• Archon

There is only one God and it isn't some fallen angel, principality, or power.  But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  The original quotespeculated that if a person practicing witchcraft really could they would dominate the world.  That's not necessarily true anymore than people who are susceptible to lust or avarice.  There are a lot of greedy individuals who try to use money as power but are broke as a joke.  These things are simply tools of temptation of the devil and our own fallen natures, that's it.

Well, you're wrong there. St. Paul writes: "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost, in whom the god of this wld [ὁ θεὸς τοῦ αἰῶνος τούτου] hath blinded the minds of them which believe not," and St. John writes: ὁ κόσμος ὅλος ἐν τῷ πονηρῷ κεῖται: "The whole world lieth in the grip of the Evil One," as well as similar teaching in his First Epistle. And, yes, it does have to do with the topic at hand, because what Satan wishes to accomplish within the limits set for his purpose by God, he does. Thus we see the very effective cruelty of war and oppression, and the very effective confusion of false education. Yet we do not see any very effective use of witchcraft. Certainly not in proportion to the obsession of some Christians, which I took as Mr. Fogey's point. But I also agree with you to a certain extent, as far as admitting two points, viz., that witchcraft still has its temptations and pernicious effects, and that no man has a guarantee of worldly success even if he commits himself to evil. Now why don't you admit my point that the person who commits himself to evil in terms of ambition and guile has statistically a much higher chance of success than the dabbler in witchcraft?

1) I don't get it.  I think you would have to let me know what doctrine you are referring to where Satan is the ruler of the world.  He isn't a demiurge, which is how I am reading you. Please refer me to a doctrine you are thinking about so I can see your train of thought, we may be talking past each other.  You could say something like without God we are powerless to resist him and that the world was given up to various powers before Christ's victory which ended the whole thing.  In this sense I am referring to "the world" as the created order which is fundamentally good, no the other way "the world" can be used.  But yes, no doubt the devil is responsible in part for major catastrophes, murders, deceptions, etc as he was even in the beginning.  But if you go look at just basic points of doctrine on evil spirits or the world, it is never outright stated that "the devil rules the world" for example:

"All wickedness, then, and all impure passions are the work of their mind. But while the liberty to attack man has been granted to them, they have not the strength to over-master any one: for we have it in our power to receive or not to receive the attack. Wherefore there has been prepared for the devil and his demons, and those who follow him, fire unquenchable and everlasting punishment." St John of Damascus

Christ came to overcome the "prince of this world" and free us from the chains of prinicpalities, powers, etc which he did...and he was victorious.  History was over the moment He trampled down death by death and restored life.

2) As to a person fully committing himself fully to evil than a halfhearted attempt being more successful...I don't know.  I guess a person with full commitment shows more initiative, drive, stubbornness,and courage those are natural virtues that tend more towards success than half-hardheartedness.  But I don't know how much of that has to do with a persons natural disposition, than with the actual commitment to evil. A person committed to being a heroin addict, the next Ghengis Khan, or Marquis de Sade can burn out in obscurity pretty quickly and in obscurity.  That's a high risk high reward scenario I think...and being that your aim is evil there is going to be a burn out..Spiritually speaking I guess at that point is you may be being kept afloat because other forces have you in their grip and it's useful for them at that moment to keep your enslaved body afloat.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
In all honesty a bons fide witch infiltration would be a breath of fresh air compared to the very real infiltration by Nazis, evangelical culture warriors, Austrian economics etc.

You want to go down that path? You want to open the Gates of Hell to let the cockroaches out?

OK....let's go down that path.

Who knows, I'm not technically Orthodox, so what do I have to say about beliefs in the Orthodox Church. BUT nevertheless, I feel it necessary to respond to such a post.

1. What do you mean by Nazis? I feel like, as I've previously expressed, the terms Nazi, Fascist, White Supremacist, Racist, etc., while real ideologies, have become subjective terms in contemporary political discourse which are used to discredit a person's position on the basis of knowing another person's "secret intent." Something which, of course, we are not capable of knowing, which is why Christ told us to not judge people - but in addition to this, I find the claim of "closet Nazi" or "closet racist" to be a claim that is often time unfounded and has no basis in rationality - it is just a term used by people in order to shut people up, rather than putting in some so called "effort" or "thought" into their argument. In my opinion, this toxic argumentation is why the Left has become notorious among the civilian population - with the label of "SJW" and "Antifa" - people were sick of being called names rather than being able to express a contrary opinion.

At any rate, I think such an idea of "AH-HA! I KNOW SECRETLY WHAT YOUR INTENTION IS! I CAN READ MINDS! WE NEED TO STOP YOU!" is what propelled McCarthyism and the Puritan witch-hunts ironically enough.

In any of the arguments where I hear a Trump-supporter or a conservative being called one of these names, there is always an ontological gap that connects the two names.

Let's give a hypothetical.

So, let's say I think the idea of BLM is stupid on the basis that I think forcing policemen to completely, unequivocally ignore stereotypes - and something which I don't think will fix the socio-economic gap between African Americans and White people, a problem that could be fixed by free-market economics and Affirmative Action in this ideology - then someone calls me a racist.
How am I a racist in this case? Do I hate black people? Do I want to reinstate colored bathrooms? Do I want to reinstate slavery? Do I want cops to freely kill black people? How is there a connection?
What about Nazism? Do I want to put Jews in concentration camps?

Another hypothetical:

What if I think that, in American society, the idea of grouping entire ethnicities into classes is stupid when there is a variety of ethnic groups - white, Asian, African American, Latino - who are completely across the spectrum of socio-economic class, which is proof that such systemic configurations of racial oppression no longer exist, especially in the context of Affirmative Action existing?

Does that automatically make me a racist? A fascist? A slave-owner?

So, we can talk about quote on quote "Nazism" growing, but I need to know what exactly is your criteria for being a Nazi. If it is simply voting for Trump, then boy oh boy do we have a conversation coming about how wrong you are, and how your logic is just as flawed - if not even more flawed - than those conservatives who label the left as "Marxist" or "Communist."

2. Evangelical culture warriors - I'm assuming, once again, you are referring to individuals who see an importance of placing "God" in society or those who stand up for Christian morality in the law.
So, the Orthodox Church, as a historical fact, always saw a blanket divide between moral norms and legal norms? In fact, the Orthodox Church historically has always disavowed people who don't see such a separation, and has been silent on issues like the government mandating tax-funded contraception and abortions through organizations like Planned Parenthood?

3. Austrian economics - Although I do not think one can be a complete Christian if they subscribe to a purely capitalistic form of Christianity or a form of the so called "Prosperity Gospel," people believing the end goal of life is wealth - I nevertheless never knew that Jesus Christ mandated that we ought to be Keynesian in our economic systems. Nor did I know that it was the duty of a Christian to, instead of investing in personal effort into helping the poor, but rather to sit back and do nothing but complain about how social structures ought to be changed, until the government puts a gun up to people's head and says "be charitable."

Didn't Christ say give unto Caesar's what is Caesar's and God's what is God's?

While I'm no anarcho-capitalist, I am more of an Austrian economics guy in terms of economic models, nor do I believe it is a Christian's duty to mandate wealth-redistribution. I think we will be judged on how much we personally saw the pain of the poor and how much we did to make a difference in people's lives - not force other people to be charitable for us. I tend to equivocate the image of Christ being a socialist to that of Liberation Theology, an obvious heresy that goes against the Church. I'm not saying you are a Liberation theologian, but the indistinguishability of publicly-mandated charity and private, out of love charity is something that is shared between Liberation theology and your own theology it seems.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:07:11 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Why?
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
In all honesty a bons fide witch infiltration would be a breath of fresh air compared to the very real infiltration by Nazis, evangelical culture warriors, Austrian economics etc.

You want to go down that path? You want to open the Gates of Hell to let the cockroaches out?

Are you alright?
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru

Are you alright?

That's a question I ask myself everyday   :-\
I'm done.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
If you have to come up with a model where there's "good" and "bad" charity, and "bad" charity is "against the Church," you might need to reconsider your economics loyalties. "Above all things, put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness" (St. Paul). "Ye have the poor with you always, therefore open thine hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor in thy land" (St. Moses).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
If you have to come up with a model where there's "good" and "bad" charity, and "bad" charity is "against the Church," you might need to reconsider your economics loyalties. "Above all things, put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness" (St. Paul). "Ye have the poor with you always, therefore open thine hand unto thy brother, to thy needy, and to thy poor in thy land" (St. Moses).

Not to mention the fact that the Torah is full of forcible wealth redistribution. How many wealthy farmers honestly wanted to leave the corners of their fields unharvested for the gleaners or to free all slaves and cancel all debts in the year of Jubilee?
I do stuff.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
And our wealth is not our own. Theologically, or literally. Anyone prosperous in a modern society has many besides himself to blame.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru

Did I condemn "bad charity" (or wealth distribution) as heresy?

Is it really charity at that point if someone has no will to choose to give wealth away?
It's not like the person in question who has his wealth distribution chose out of the goodness of his heart to show love and respect in terms of human dignity - and it isn't beneficial to his salvation.

I mean, I believe governments have a role to uphold human dignity - but where do we draw the line between making living conditions better and economic chialism.

There is a noticeable trend of constantly making public what were once private sectors - and the question is, when do we stop?

And my economic loyalties are a little complex.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:49:52 AM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
If someone is a billionaire and chooses not to use that money to make a difference in the life of others with it, it is to their condemnation - and it is something I don't condone. I think it is an absolutely flawed and satanic idea to believe money can lead to peace with God - but nevertheless, I wonder about the efficiency of public goods in providing charity than private individuals - I think Bill Gates has done a lot more to help end Malaria than our public system.
I'm done.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
You realize malaria has been ended in many places through public projects well before Bill Gates came along, right? And that Bill Gates' project depends on the same?
- Berdyaev

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
There is a noticeable trend of constantly making public what were once private sectors - and the question is, when do we stop?

When those are no longer sustainable.

The more supported all members of a society are, the healthier (in all respects) said society will be.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
  I'm seriously asking. These people are everywhere hidden in every single branch of The Christian faith (Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Protestantism).

Even on this forum I know there are occultists who try and troll and pretend to be Orthodox. You can just tell. In the past couple of years it has become blatantly clear on youtube how many Tares Among the Wheat and Goats among The Sheep there are and many Christian people seem oblivious to it  even when it's right in their faces.

I just want to know how The Orthodox Church handles these people. It makes me think of Rasputin.

I bring this up because of how many people I thought were Christians, but came to realize that they were secretly acting and closet witches/warlocks.

Thanks in advance.

1. Ignore them as much as possible.
2. Speak Orthodox truth and don't debate.
3. Leave the rest to God.

Selam

"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches

There is?

Offline Jude1:3

• Elder
  • I Believe The Apostles'/Nicene Creed
  I'm seriously asking. These people are everywhere hidden in every single branch of The Christian faith (Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Protestantism).

Even on this forum I know there are occultists who try and troll and pretend to be Orthodox. You can just tell. In the past couple of years it has become blatantly clear on youtube how many Tares Among the Wheat and Goats among The Sheep there are and many Christian people seem oblivious to it  even when it's right in their faces.

I just want to know how The Orthodox Church handles these people. It makes me think of Rasputin.

I bring this up because of how many people I thought were Christians, but came to realize that they were secretly acting and closet witches/warlocks.

Thanks in advance.

1. Ignore them as much as possible.
2. Speak Orthodox truth and don't debate.
3. Leave the rest to God.

Selam

Thanks for the answer.

What's a good to prayer to pray against oppressors ?