Author Topic: How does The Orthodox Church deal with Closet Occultists/Witches in The Church?  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Jude1:3

• Elder
  • I am currently An Eastern Orthodox Catechumen
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Catechumen

My challenge has been finding an Orthodox Priest that I trust is legit.

What criteria would you use to determine this?

Well, for one not to make those hand gestures while we are talking. I'm not exactly sure about the rest.

So you're basing the legitimacy of a priest on the basis of a hand gesture made by folks all over the world, most of whom have never heard of masonry or been involved in occult practices. Heck, my own grannies set their hands that way when they talked. Does that mean they were witches in your eyes?

I know not everyone who does this is evil or knowingly doing it.

There's your answer, then.

I'd go further and say there is no evil at all in the gesture. The evil only exists in the superstitious minds of online conspiracy theorists.

There you go :

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:59:32 AM by Jude1:3 »

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
This was the video I was talking about with lady making witch craft hand gestures starting @14:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AZfHrzqwE

Umm no?  I myself routinely hold my hands in that position, or even with my index and middle finger and ring and left finger separated on both hands in the manner of Spock (or a Jewish kohanim) simply because it is comfortable.  Sometimes when I am speaking (a friend with a sense of satire, after I addressed a Linux usee group on ZFS, commented on the "Double Spock").  No witchcraft involved or intended.

I saw nothing in that video other than a pious reporter announcing in Amharic an upcoming Ethiopian Church Conference.

What even makes you think her hand gestures are considered witchcraft in Ethiopian society?

Ethiopians are extremely sensitive when it comes to practitioners of the occult, with much folklore about the dangers of corrupt magicians and so on, so if this woman, making a high profile video in Amharic was making what the Ethiopians know to be occult hand gestures, I think it would have been noticed and acted upon.

And even if she was, by the way, it could not harm the faithful.  No witch or wizard can touch a hair on the body of one baptized and sealed by the Holy Spirit, who remains faithfully in the flock of Christ.  If I were confronted with the most powerful magician in the world, I would make the sign of the Cross and say "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on me, a Sinner," and invoke the Blessed Virgin, and rest with complete competence that my guardian angel, indeed, the entire angelic Host if need be, would intervene to protect me from any forces of darkness the evildoer sought to conjure.

The occult is only dangerous when you seek it out and believe in its power, thus falling into Prelest (spiritual delusion) or becoming posessed by demons in extreme cases.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
There is an official Orthodox teaching about bearing false witness, AKA the ninth commandment. If you aren't joking, shame on you.

This is a valid point; Jude1:3; you are making grave accusations against people over what to us appear to be non-occult activities, and this is frankly as spiritually unhealthy as dabbling in the occult.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

• Elder
This was the video I was talking about with lady making witch craft hand gestures starting @14:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AZfHrzqwE
What even makes you think her hand gestures are considered witchcraft in Ethiopian society?

Ethiopians are extremely sensitive when it comes to practitioners of the occult, with much folklore about the dangers of corrupt magicians and so on, so if this woman, making a high profile video in Amharic was making what the Ethiopians know to be occult hand gestures, I think it would have been noticed and acted upon.

These people are all about mockery and hiding things in plain sight as a form of insulting people's intelligence.

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon

My challenge has been finding an Orthodox Priest that I trust is legit.

What criteria would you use to determine this?

Well, for one not to make those hand gestures while we are talking. I'm not exactly sure about the rest.

So you're basing the legitimacy of a priest on the basis of a hand gesture made by folks all over the world, most of whom have never heard of masonry or been involved in occult practices. Heck, my own grannies set their hands that way when they talked. Does that mean they were witches in your eyes?

I know not everyone who does this is evil or knowingly doing it.

There's your answer, then.

I'd go further and say there is no evil at all in the gesture. The evil only exists in the superstitious minds of online conspiracy theorists.

There you go :

I hold my hands in that gesture, and have since I as long as I can remember.  I have never been a member of any Seth-worshipping group to my knowledge.  Yet you are accusing me of being in the occult, just because some deluded woman and some insignifigant heretical sect happens to have adopted a common hand posture as part of their "magic."

It's absolutely ridiculous.  I think you owe me an apology, Jude1:3, because I hold my hands in that position and have nothing to do with witchcraft or the occult, and never had.

By the way, what church are you a member of?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
That gesture is called 'steepling one's fingers' and is extremely common. Nothing inherently occult about it.

Just because, in that picture, it's Anton LaVey's daughter doing it, doesn't mean she imbues it with anything extra. Doctor Strange does it too. :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:22:41 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

• Elder
I already apologized Alpha60.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:29:15 AM by Jude1:3 »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Perhaps you think you are outsmarting the devil by seeing his designs in seemingly innocuous gestures. But really, by being extremely gullible (in this case, basing your pretended insight on Youtube videos) and simultaneously quick to accuse Christians, you are putty in the devil's hands.

In a way, you both overestimate and underestimate the power of the fallen angel. Overestimate, because you think God is incapable of protecting his church from such pervasive infiltration. Underestimate, because you think the demons work in such obvious, ham-fisted ways as hand gestures and black masses, when their primary mode of influence is through the subtle manipulation of human passions.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
Perhaps you think you are outsmarting the devil by seeing his designs in seemingly innocuous gestures. But really, by being extremely gullible (in this case, basing your pretended insight on Youtube videos) and simultaneously quick to accuse Christians, you are putty in the devil's hands.

In a way, you both overestimate and underestimate the power of the fallen angel. Overestimate, because you think God is incapable of protecting his church from such pervasive infiltration. Underestimate, because you think the demons work in such obvious, ham-fisted ways as hand gestures and black masses, when their primary mode of influence is through the subtle manipulation of human passions.

Indeed so, and this, it should be stressed, is as spiritually unhealthy as dabbling in the occult to begin with.

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
I already apologized Alpha60.

Noted.  But you then posted that picture; I wanted to be sure you weren't likening me to the daughter of Anton LaVey who has lamentably followed an even more deluded path than her atheist father.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
When The Holy Spirit shows you the tares among the wheat it's pretty depressing at first because there are so many of them.

May that this be true and you are not being deceived by another kind of spirit.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

• Elder

I like your comment. There's a lot of truth to that.

Let's be real though here, most of The Church actually believes that we are spinning on a ball around the sun when The Bible clearly and plainly says that it is the sun that moves in Joshua 10:13.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
Let's be real though here, most of The Church actually believes that we are spinning on a ball around the sun when The Bible clearly and plainly says that it is the sun that moves in Joshua 10:13.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox

I like your comment. There's a lot of truth to that.

The Bible isn't a science text, just as Isaac Newton's Principia isn't a religious text.

Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Many- maybe most- church fathers accepted that the earth is spherical. The shape of the earth and whether the sun revolves around it or vice versa are not matters of faith. Of course spiritually the universe is indeed geocentric- man is the crown of creation and it was for man that God was incarnate, suffered, and died- but this view is not reliant on any particular cosmological model. Even today, with heliocentrism triumphant, everyone says "sunrise" and "sunset". It's not a falsehood, just a statement of our relative experience of the event from our place on earth. The passage from the book of Joshua is in the same spirit.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

• Elder

LOL

So The Sun Stood Still,
And The Moon Stopped,
Till the people had revenge
Upon their enemies.

• Joshua 10:13

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches

LOL

So The Sun Stood Still,
And The Moon Stopped,
Upon their enemies.

It's called perspective.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches

LOL

So The Sun Stood Still,
And The Moon Stopped,
Upon their enemies.

Christ also advised to pluck out one's eye or cut off one's hand if they were the cause of one's sin. Ever heard of metaphors, Jude?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:57:50 AM by LBK »

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches

LOL

So The Sun Stood Still,
And The Moon Stopped,
Upon their enemies.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

• Elder
You guys ready for some more scripture ?

Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and The Earth Is My Footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
•Isaiah 66:1

there is nothing new Under the sun. • Ecclesiastes 1:9

To what were its foundations fastened?
Or who laid it's cornerstone, • Job 38:6

It's impossible for a ball to have a cornerstone.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Do you also think God has feet? Or is the sky shaped like a chair?

• Elder

LOL

So The Sun Stood Still,
And The Moon Stopped,
Upon their enemies.

Christ also advised to pluck out one's eye or cut off one's hand if they were the cause of one's sin. Ever heard of metaphors, Jude?

I think that He was actually being literal if it kept you from burning in hell forever. As in it made you truly repent from sin.

• Elder

Well, He did make us in His image.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
Let's not get stuck on flat Earth discussion.

We need to find out more about the accidental witches who have been attending our churches.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches

Well, He did make us in His image.

You'll have to explain what that means.

Hint: By your logic, people should be sporting wings and other features ascribed to God in scripture.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
This thread is marvelous. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

You just think that because you're a crypto-catholic trying to make popes seem "cool" and "hip" and lure away pious Orthodox! Your avatar says it all, buddy, give it up!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

You just think that because you're a crypto-catholic trying to make popes seem "cool" and "hip" and lure away pious Orthodox! Your avatar says it all, buddy, give it up!

My dabbling in the occult is limited to an occasional fantasy about fornicating practicing tantra like a good Indian OO at Stonehenge.  Nothing to do with Catholics. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

• Elder

We need to find out more about the accidental witches who have been attending our churches.

Well, I guess my question has already been answered and I thank you guys for answering.

God said the gates of Hell would not prevail against The Church and I believe that, and at the same time we should always watch and know that there are some really bad people out there who have tried to cause schisms and problems for hundreds of years in The Church. The most known would be the schism after the Council of Chalcedon 451 A.D. and the schism of 1054 A.D. God wants Us to be One and not divided.

“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;  that They All May Be One, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.  And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are One:  I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in One, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

• John 17:20-23

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon

My dabbling in the occult is limited to an occasional fantasy about fornicating practicing tantra like a good Indian OO at Stonehenge.  Nothing to do with Catholics.

LOL

Online Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon

Well, I guess my question has already been answered and I thank you guys for answering.

God said the gates of Hell would not prevail against The Church and I believe that, and at the same time we should always watch and know that there are some really bad people out there who have tried to cause schisms and problems for hundreds of years in The Church. The most known would be the schism after the Council of Chalcedon 451 A.D. and the schism of 1054 A.D. God wants Us to be One and not divided.

“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;  that They All May Be One, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.  And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are One:  I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in One, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

What church are you a member of?  I asked you that earlier, and would appreciate clarification.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Oh really? Well let's just look at some of your recent posts!

Some of my best friends are Roman Catholics

Oh I'm sure.

Maybe he'll have better luck among the Catholics.
Hell, if I can get a few titles like that I'll switch sides.

Really? Hmm.

Roman Catholics are wonderful people and we should all thank God that they still exist because the world would be impoverished without them.  I love Rome.

Well now that says it all doesn't it!

• Elder

What church are you a member of?  I asked you that earlier, and would appreciate clarification.

None at the moment. I've been on a continual search for years.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches

None at the moment. I've been on a continual search for years.

Then consider that the Devil may have found a way to exploit your wariness in a way to keep you from salvation.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
For starters don't go on witch hunts or be overly suspicious of these kind of things.  If someone comes right out and admits they are some kind of heretic, there you have it.  Other than that, on the internet just engage the issues at hand and try to argue dispassionately using sound theology, history, ethics logic, and things like that.  If on the internet all you have is words to argue and reason with, that's the best way to bring to light true vs false doctrine and worship.

Ok, so in a real world scenario (Actually in The Orthodox Church Building) how do you guys deal with these people ?

About the "Online" comment. When someone has a "Luciferian Theosophy Logo" in their Avatar or a picture of a chick doing "One Eye Symbolism" it's pretty obvious and blatant that they are trying to mock true Christians on the forum.

They would fall out of communion with the Church.  But if you are the type of person who is inclined to think an institution, much less the Orthodox Church has been infiltrated by and has fallen victim to some nefarious organization you are really putting yourself in an inappropriate mindset.  Your trapping yourself to go down avenues you don't need to go down.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Just asking Him Directly. When it happens it's like a neon sign pointing to their hands.

I've actually seen "Pastors" at a Baptist Church and a Church of The Nazerene do this while I was there. I also went to go talk to a Coptic Orthodox Priest one time and I saw him do this.

I've seen it in Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Churches.
I do that when I'm speaking about anything difficult. Maybe I'm a casual Freemason.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:51:51 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
In all honesty a bons fide witch infiltration would be a breath of fresh air compared to the very real infiltration by Nazis, evangelical culture warriors, Austrian economics etc.

LOL!!!
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Romanian priests often collaborate with wizards and witches or sometimes they practice white or it hcraft themselves.
An old relative of mine, after having tried st Basil's exorcisms for her daughter that divorced but never had a stable relationship afterwards, so after trying those exorcisms and finding them wanting was taken by the priest himself to a local wizard. And thee daughter got married after.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:33:40 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Romanian priests often collaborate with wizards and witches or sometimes they practice white or it hcraft themselves.
An old relative of mine, after having tried st Basil's exorcisms for her daughter that divorced but never had a stable relationship afterwards, so after trying those exorcisms and finding them wanting was taken by the priest himself to a local wizard. And thee daughter got married after.

You should seriously start a blog devoted to these little episodes.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Here is an orthodox witch that says she Even haș The blessing of The local bishop:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvuzfTye9M
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland

You should seriously start a blog devoted to these little episodes.

+1
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
This sounds so rural Brazilian.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
Now, in the actual Orthodox church, Rasputin's presence and growing influence in the Orthodox Church alarmed both the seniormost bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church and the pious members of the laity who were numbered among the courtiers of St. Nicholas.  In the end, a group of noblemen killed him, in a brutal murder which the Church cannot and should not justify.

However, I am certain that he was excommunicated and anathematized years before; the bishops of the Holy Synod risked the wrath of the Czar, or more specifically, his wife, but refused to call him a monk, referring to him as a "cassock bearer."
On the other side, there seem to be more than a few people out there that want to number Rasputin among the Holy New-Martyrs of Russia, even though the current Russian Synod has ruled his canonization out mainly on grounds of debauchery. I suppose prayers for his soul are never wasted regardless of what the truth is.
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
This sounds so rural Brazilian, lol

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
All women are witches, and if some don't practise, it's only for lack of opportunity, didn't you get the memo?
I knew it!  :o
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός