OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:15:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Church  (Read 874 times) Average Rating: 0
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« on: June 25, 2006, 12:59:53 AM »

I have always wanted to ask this. I could never understand why The Roman Church was seen as first with Constantinpole as second and Alexandria as third and Antioch as Fourth and Jerusalem as fifth. I know that Peter died in Rome as well as Paul. what I don't understand is the Church started in Jerusalem. Jerusealem was the seat of King David and that Jesus was born in the Family line of king David and so the church started in Jerusalem Israel. it should have been the First in line stead of Rome.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:03:05 AM by Father Paul Andrew » Logged
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:46:36 AM »

Maybe because Rome was the capital of the Roman Empire. and the pentarchy didn't start until late 4th century and they didn't classify prior to that date.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:49:17 AM »

Maybe because Rome was the capital of the Roman Empire. and the pentarchy didn't start until late 4th century and they didn't classify prior to that date.

Thank you
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:51:25 AM »

I have always wanted to ask this. I could never understand why The Roman Church was seen as first with Constantinpole as second and Alexandria as third and Antioch as Fourth and Jerusalem as fifth. I know that Peter died in Rome as well as Paul. what I don't understand is the Church started in Jerusalem. Jerusealem was the seat of King David and that Jesus was born in the Family line of king David and so the church started in Jerusalem Israel. it should have been the First in line stead of Rome.

By the time of "ranking" of the patriarchates, Jerusalem had long since become a fairly meaningless town. It was destroyed pretty well in AD 70. Rome and Constantinople, being the two major cities of Christendom, understandably had pride of place.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »

Rome had first place initially for being the Imperial Capital... Jerusalem was last because it was insignificant (destroyed in 70ad) but still needed rank due to its historical significance (which actually would probably have been closer to Nil in the eyes of the Romans without St. Helen's massive building project).  Rome gets put essentially into second place after Chalcedon for being the "former" capital - it retained some of its honor only because it used to be the capital.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:52:02 AM »

RCC CCC
Particular Churches are fully Catholic through their communion with one of them, the Church of Rome "which presides in charity" (315)--

315- St. Ignatius Antioch

"for with this church,by reason of its pre-eminence, the whole Church, that is the faithful everywhere.........blah blah blah..............

I'm not sure how helpful that is.
Don't shoot the messenger!!!!

P.S. I have no idea where St. Ignatius wrote this part of it but ....?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: