Author Topic: Should I still take communion?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Should I still take communion?
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »
In Vespers today, I took part in a public confession.  The priest said that if there were any other sins, we could do private confessions afterword.  There was some stuff on my mind, but I didn't want to stay any longer.  Should I still take communion tomorrow?

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
Re: Should I still take communion?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
Since you didn't get an answer and presumably you have resolved your question since Liturgy on Sunday, I have a question for you.

Why do you say "take Communion"?  I thought it is "receive Communion".

Is "take Communion" short for "partake of Communion"? 

Is there a correct way to say this?
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »
After fast of 3 days you could but you must also pray.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:40:53 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:41:05 AM by Indocern »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:04 AM »
Since you didn't get an answer and presumably you have resolved your question since Liturgy on Sunday, I have a question for you.

No.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
Thanks.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Online Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks.

Just ask your priest.  Also Vespers is coming up tomorrow; you can confess whatever you need to then, and then go to the liturgy in the morning, and perfecto.

In some Russian churches it is de rigeur for everyone to confess before each liturgy; in most Greek or Antiochian parishes the custom is to go to confession periodically.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »

I think it would be more-nearly proper English to say "receive" than "take," since "take" has nuances of siezing. However, English in practical use probably doesn't make a difference. A study has found young people today have about a third the vocabulary of their grandparents, so obviously changes in usage must accommodate the squeeze.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
In Vespers today, I took part in a public confession.  The priest said that if there were any other sins, we could do private confessions afterword.  There was some stuff on my mind, but I didn't want to stay any longer.  Should I still take communion tomorrow?

I do not think your priest would have offered public confession if it weren't efficacious. So, yes, barring some mighty sin, you should commune.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy