Author Topic: AJ: Evictions, trials as Russian Orthodox Church claims property  (Read 668 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Valaam, Russia - Varvara Sergeeva's great-grandfather was among the tens of thousands of clerics, monks, nuns and believers executed by Communist iconoclasts in 1937. Pavel Orleansky had served as a deacon in the revered Orthodox Christian monastery on Valaam, the lake island just south of Finland.

Sergeeva learned about his fate from declassified KGB archives in 1988, when during the Perestroika reforms the USSR celebrated a millennium of Christianity in Russia.

Soon after graduating from high school, Sergeeva decided to get baptised and leave her native St Petersburg for Valaam to help revive the monastery.

"I felt absolute happiness. What was happening was unreal," says the stately, fair-haired 44-year-old at a cafe in St Petersburg. "It's a wonderful place, very pure, very vivid."

But in the past decade, Sergeeva and her son have faced a forced eviction from their Valaam apartment, an arson, confiscation of property, a string of lost trials and debilitating health problems, all as a result of the resurgence of the monastery and the Orthodox faith in Russia, and the Kremlin-backed restitution of religious property.

The rest here:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/08/evictions-trials-russian-church-claims-property-170822103042061.html
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Ilyin

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: AJ: Evictions, trials as Russian Orthodox Church claims property
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Russian Orthodox Church is evil. Monks are evil. They only after personal gain at the expense of masses. Why so much evil? We should all convert to Constantinople as soon as possible.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
Russian Orthodox Church is evil. Monks are evil. They only after personal gain at the expense of masses. Why so much evil? We should all convert to Constantinople as soon as possible.

LOL Constantinople doesn't do that?
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »

I am curious as to your frame of mind. Are you thinking about the Esphigmenou monastery or something that I might not know about?
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

I am curious as to your frame of mind. Are you thinking about the Esphigmenou monastery or something that I might not know about?

Constantinople does a lot of things for personal gain. That's all I was saying.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
If this is true, it is very sad.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."