Author Topic: Anyone got any beautiful picture of Western Rite Orthodox Churches?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

So that is the purpose of this thread.

Edit: The title should be "pictures," but whatever.

I'll start:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:56:26 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Anyone got any beautiful picture of Western Rite Orthodox Churches?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

I'll start:

Nice! Where was this one taken?

I hope this thread goes on. :)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:31:32 AM »
Saint Augustine of Hippo Orthodox Church in Denver, Colorado.
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
Saint Vincent, Nebraska

-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »
Very nice! :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
Saint Patrick Western Orthodox Church, Pascha 2016

-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »

ROCOR Western Rite Conference
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
Saint Stephen's Church

-Saint John of Kronstadt

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Saint Stephen's Church

That's pretty good.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
St. Thomas in Mountain Home, Ark.

Formerly Reformed Episcopal/ACNA.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
Saint Augustine of Hippo Orthodox Church in Denver, Colorado.
Hey that's the very first Orthodox parish I visited  ;) And it's even more beautiful in person.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
I had initially thought there was no WR parish in my area. Now that I found out that there is, I'm itching to go to it.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Ioustinos

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »

I'll start:

I lived in Denver at the time that I was received into the Orthodox Church.  There are about 4-5 Antiochian parishes in the area with only one being Eastern Rite and the rest Western Rite. 

Unfortunately I never visited any of the Western Rite parishes even though I only lived 5 minutes from them.  At the time I don't think I would have appreciated them as much as I think I could now.  Then it would have smacked of "Catholicism" to me and would have turned me off.  However, as I have grown in my faith and have begun to appreciate the Western Orthodox world I hate that I missed out on that experience.  I still prefer the Eastern Rite - something about it just resonates with me - but I am learning to appreciate the Western Rite and those whose hearts are drawn to God by it.

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.

The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John (Kovalevsky) of Saint-Denis

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
Here is the monastery chapel of St Michael and St Martin, near Luzé, in France.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John (Kovalevsky) of Saint-Denis

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.
I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:36:00 PM by RaphaCam »

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »

I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?

I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »

Eh -- the only canonical WRO mass I've attended was presided over by a priest who quite publicly (even famously) apostatized a short time later.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:55:29 PM by Agabus »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.
He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.

Thanks for the intro.  I'll take a look and see what I think.  Please do visit the centre for the Liturgy.  I'd be grateful to read your impressions.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.

I know a little of the history of the British branch of the Celtic Orthodox Church.  This seems to be distinct from the history of the French branch.  The Wikipedia entry gives a very convoluted past for the UK branch, and then part way through the narrative just introduces a pre-existing French part of the same church, without much explanation of where the latter came from.

In any case, the British Eparchy of the Celtic Orthodox Church now no longer exists.  Most of the clergy have either died or moved to other jurisdictions.  The two remaining clergy in the UK are now directly under the French Eparchy, which seems to have been historically much more stable than its former British counterpart.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)