Author Topic: Anyone got any beautiful picture of Western Rite Orthodox Churches?  (Read 4839 times)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Nicholas II, Pray for Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None, unfortunately. Hopefully soon.
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

So that is the purpose of this thread.

Edit: The title should be "pictures," but whatever.

I'll start:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:56:26 AM by LivenotoneviL »
Jesus:you are the reincarnation of Elijah you can trust me I'm jesus!

LivenotoneviL: yeah right get behind me satan

Exposed demon: oh no my cover is blown!

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. And may God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of Christ.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Anyone got any beautiful picture of Western Rite Orthodox Churches?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

I'll start:

Nice! Where was this one taken?

I hope this thread goes on. :)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:31:32 AM »
Saint Augustine of Hippo Orthodox Church in Denver, Colorado.

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. And may God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of Christ.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
Saint Vincent, Nebraska

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »
Very nice! :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »
Saint Patrick Western Orthodox Church, Pascha 2016

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »

ROCOR Western Rite Conference

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
Saint Stephen's Church

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Saint Stephen's Church

That's pretty good.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
St. Thomas in Mountain Home, Ark.

Formerly Reformed Episcopal/ACNA.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
Saint Augustine of Hippo Orthodox Church in Denver, Colorado.
Hey that's the very first Orthodox parish I visited  ;) And it's even more beautiful in person.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
I had initially thought there was no WR parish in my area. Now that I found out that there is, I'm itching to go to it.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Ioustinos

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »

I'll start:

I lived in Denver at the time that I was received into the Orthodox Church.  There are about 4-5 Antiochian parishes in the area with only one being Eastern Rite and the rest Western Rite. 

Unfortunately I never visited any of the Western Rite parishes even though I only lived 5 minutes from them.  At the time I don't think I would have appreciated them as much as I think I could now.  Then it would have smacked of "Catholicism" to me and would have turned me off.  However, as I have grown in my faith and have begun to appreciate the Western Orthodox world I hate that I missed out on that experience.  I still prefer the Eastern Rite - something about it just resonates with me - but I am learning to appreciate the Western Rite and those whose hearts are drawn to God by it.

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.

The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
Here is the monastery chapel of St Michael and St Martin, near Luzé, in France.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.
I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:36:00 PM by RaphaCam »

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »

I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?

I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »

Eh -- the only canonical WRO mass I've attended was presided over by a priest who quite publicly (even famously) apostatized a short time later.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:55:29 PM by Agabus »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.
He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.

Thanks for the intro.  I'll take a look and see what I think.  Please do visit the centre for the Liturgy.  I'd be grateful to read your impressions.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.

I know a little of the history of the British branch of the Celtic Orthodox Church.  This seems to be distinct from the history of the French branch.  The Wikipedia entry gives a very convoluted past for the UK branch, and then part way through the narrative just introduces a pre-existing French part of the same church, without much explanation of where the latter came from.

In any case, the British Eparchy of the Celtic Orthodox Church now no longer exists.  Most of the clergy have either died or moved to other jurisdictions.  The two remaining clergy in the UK are now directly under the French Eparchy, which seems to have been historically much more stable than its former British counterpart.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
Saint Laurence Benedictine Orthodox Monastery

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 09:58:25 PM »
Saint Bride Hermitage

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »

Did you ever wind up paying that visit?
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 10:00:25 PM »
Saint Emmanuel Orthodox Church

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »
Saint Bride Hermitage

Maybe it's just because they don't have much money for decoration or something, but I really dig the contrast between the icons and the clean white walls in these pictures. It creates a kind of ethereal effect.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:02:24 PM by Volnutt »

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Saint Bride Hermitage

Maybe it's just because they don't have much money for decoration or something, but I really dig the contrast between the icons and the clean white walls in these pictures. It creates a kind of ethereal effect.

Me too.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church

Where's this?

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
Thanks.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »

It would be nice to have a WR parish in Brazil, however I think it would attract a lot of people from that ''igreja católica brasileira'' and similar schismatic roman catholic groups (some can be quite weird).

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
It would be nice to have a WR parish in Brazil, however I think it would attract a lot of people from that ''igreja católica brasileira'' and similar schismatic roman catholic groups (some can be quite weird).
That's a point, the responsible people would have to be extra careful and observant. But, under the right bishop, abuse would be avoided and these people would come to greener pasture without bringing their errors with them.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 12:57:18 AM »
Talk about weird cultic groups!  The TFP would pray the Rosary at rapid fire pace outside the Melkite Catholic parish that I attended during Divine Liturgy and only come in to receive Holy Communion, just to leave and resume their Rosary.

I never understood why the priest put up with them.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline ROCORWRVUK

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
Not a church, but...

Christ is Risen!

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »

Do you have any other Liturgy of Saint Germanus Churches?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:42:18 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »
Talk about weird cultic groups!  The TFP would pray the Rosary at rapid fire pace outside the Melkite Catholic parish that I attended during Divine Liturgy and only come in to receive Holy Communion, just to leave and resume their Rosary.

I never understood why the priest put up with them.
It would be amazing to hear their reaction to the collocation of how Protestant this sounds.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Not a church, but...

Christ is Risen!

He is risen indeed!

This thread is a heaven for me. I wish there was WRO in Finland.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 01:42:23 PM »
This thread is a heaven for me. I wish there was WRO in Finland.

Just start it from scratch.  It would hardly be the most controversial thing done in the Finnish Church.  #alpha60
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
#alpha60

Ecumenist Gay Heresy. Never forget.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
They are non-canonical, but here is Botel Abbey of the Autonomous Orthodox Metropolita - they use a corrected Sarum Missal.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:09:20 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:10:42 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »

Is that a yarmulke?

In the Western Church, zucchetos developed in the early Middle Ages in order to keep the head of the tonsured, bald cleric warm during the winter - but they eventually became a symbol of the priesthood / bishopry. In the Roman Catholic Church, they're black for priests, purple for bishops, red for cardinals, and white for the Pope.

You rarely see them on Roman Catholic priests nowadays, usually exclusively bishops and upward.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:17:11 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
I wonder why the noncanonical WR priest's zucchetto is blue.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »

Maybe something to do with the Sarum Rite? After all, the colors which Sarum uses are very different than what Rome used post-Trent.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »

Is that a yarmulke?

In the Western Church, zucchetos developed in the early Middle Ages in order to keep the head of the tonsured, bald cleric warm during the winter - but they eventually became a symbol of the priesthood / bishopry. In the Roman Catholic Church, they're black for priests, purple for bishops, red for cardinals, and white for the Pope.

You rarely see them on Roman Catholic priests nowadays, usually exclusively bishops and upward.
Clearly this shows how observant I am.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-X

And thanks.    :)

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »

Maybe something to do with the Sarum Rite? After all, the colors which Sarum uses are very different than what Rome used post-Trent.

The Sarum colors were the same as the Roman, with the addition of yellow and blue, though they were distributed a little differently. In the case of blue specifically, it was used on the feast of St. Michael the Archangel, but otherwise was penitential, like violet or blue. That looks like it could be a Lenten/Advent chasuble, so the blue zucchetto would be appropriate.

In the Roman Church, the zucchetto may be worn by all who have been ordained at least a deacon, but must be worn by bishops. The most recent legislation was in 1968 by Paul VI. The pope wears white, cardinals wear scarlet, bishops wear amaranth, priests and deacons wear black. Franciscan friars have a unique brown zucchetto. Before the mid-19th century, bishops were also supposed to wear black, also. Wearing it probably fell out of favor with priests and deacons because they are not permitted to wear it at all during Mass; a bishop removes his for the Canon, but otherwise wears it throughout Mass. It's just easier not to bother if it's not required (a common Roman approach in recent years).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:10:50 AM by MalpanaGiwargis »
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »

Do you have any other Liturgy of Saint Germanus Churches?

I have indeed.  :)

In order, the attached images depict the altars of the churches of:
  • Ss Athanasius & Amandus, Brussels, Belgium
  • St George, Douala, Cameroon
  • The Annunciation, Montpellier, France
  • The Visitation & the Holy Encounter, Nancy, France

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
The Brussels one is really pretty.

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
It's lovely, isn't it? I hope to visit there soon.

The reredos at Nancy was painted by St John of Saint-Denis (Eugraphe Kovalevsky).

This is at the Church of Our Lady & St Thiebault near Gorze, France.  I took this just before Vespers for Theophany this year. I know it appears Byzantine in decor but the services are very much the Benedictine Office and the Liturgy of St Germanus as celebrated in our church.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:04:59 PM by Subdeacon Michael »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
I liked this related video of Christmas chant. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6caoq6 I'd love to visit one of your churches if I ever find myself in France.

Subdeacon, if you don't mind my asking, is your Church currently in talks with any world Orthodox Church for establishing communion?

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
I liked this related video of Christmas chant. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6caoq6 I'd love to visit one of your churches if I ever find myself in France.

I am sure you would be made most welcome, Volnutt.  If you go to one of the places where there is also accommodation available, (the monastery at Bois-Aubry or the Bethany Centre near Gorze), let them know in advance and they'll be happy to host you.  Here's another, more recent video from the Gorze parish, for Pascha.

Subdeacon, if you don't mind my asking, is your Church currently in talks with any world Orthodox Church for establishing communion?

Of course I don't mind: it's a reasonable question.  Sadly, there are no talks along those lines anymore, due partly to lessons learnt from history and partly to differing views on the current situation and on what the path to mutual recognition might look like.  We can message privately if you'd like to discuss it further, so as not to divert attention from this very encouraging thread.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »

I am sure you would be made most welcome, Volnutt.  If you go to one of the places where there is also accommodation available, (the monastery at Bois-Aubry or the Bethany Centre near Gorze), let them know in advance and they'll be happy to host you.  Here's another, more recent video from the Gorze parish, for Pascha.

Very nice! I'm glad to see that they've got a few younger faces that the congregation from 2012 had. Good for longevity of the community.

Of course I don't mind: it's a reasonable question.  Sadly, there are no talks along those lines anymore, due partly to lessons learnt from history and partly to differing views on the current situation and on what the path to mutual recognition might look like.  We can message privately if you'd like to discuss it further, so as not to divert attention from this very encouraging thread.

That's too bad. I hope the situation improves at some point.

I've got a lot of things on my plate right now, but maybe we can PM about it some other time. Thanks for the offer, though!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 05:39:09 AM »
Paschal Triduum at St Gregory The Great Orthodox Church:

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 07:13:21 AM »
In the Roman Church, the zucchetto may be worn by all who have been ordained at least a deacon, but must be worn by bishops. The most recent legislation was in 1968 by Paul VI. The pope wears white, cardinals wear scarlet, bishops wear amaranth, priests and deacons wear black. Franciscan friars have a unique brown zucchetto. Before the mid-19th century, bishops were also supposed to wear black, also. Wearing it probably fell out of favor with priests and deacons because they are not permitted to wear it at all during Mass; a bishop removes his for the Canon, but otherwise wears it throughout Mass. It's just easier not to bother if it's not required (a common Roman approach in recent years).
at least a deacon: Please give proof!
Cistercian and Premonstratensians Abbots for example wear white as well (but not in moiré pattern).
Except they (priests, not deacons) have special permission to wear the zucchetto during Mass.

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 07:15:37 AM »

Nice pictures!

BTW: Black dalmatics/tunicellae are not worn on Good Friday (according to the traditional rubrics).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:17:19 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »
Terce of Holy Saturday:
https://youtu.be/_k-dHO-DJws

(BTW: The icon is not veiled.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:24:24 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:17:31 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »

Nice pictures!

BTW: Black dalmatics/tunicellae are not worn on Good Friday (according to the traditional rubrics).

Oh, that's fact that there are some specials rolled up vestments:
http://wf1.xcdn.pl/files/18/03/31/474014_XngK_.20MichaC58220Rudnicki208270_83.jpg

But in another picture I've seen something different

Both pictures are from the Liturgies of Good Friday celebrated according to the rites before the reform of the Holy Week (1955)

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
In both pictures deacon and subdeacon are wearing the folded chasuables (planetae plicatae), in the second picture they are simply shortened.

If you do not have them, the two Levits are to wear simply albs with maniple (if the service requires them), additionally the deacon the stole over the left shoulder.

The bishop is wearing the black pontifical dalmatic and tunicella, that is correct, but the assistent deacons do not wear the folded chasuable (black dalmatics would be fine).

BTW: The shoes in the second pic are overwhelming!  :) Do you have the link to the website?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:19:35 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 05:39:17 AM »
In both pictures deacon and subdeacon are wearing the folded chasuables (planetae plicatae), in the second picture they are simply shortened.

If you do not have them, the two Levits are to wear simply albs with maniple (if the service requires them), additionally the deacon the stole over the left shoulder.

The bishop is wearing the black pontifical dalmatic and tunicella, that is correct, but the assistent deacons do not wear the folded chasuable (black dalmatics would be fine).

I'm so keen on liturgics, but when it goes for Tridentine rite, I'm giving up - I mean, there are too many rubrics, strange rules (that in East nobody would pay so much attention and so on) :D Anyway, thank you for the info.

BTW: The shoes in the second pic are overwhelming!  :) Do you have the link to the website?

http://ikomutoprzeszkadzalo.pl/?lang=en - there are more interesting pics

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
at least a deacon: Please give proof!
Cistercian and Premonstratensians Abbots for example wear white as well (but not in moiré pattern).
Except they (priests, not deacons) have special permission to wear the zucchetto during Mass.

There are references in books about ceremonial that mention it (such as James Charles Noonan's The Church Visible), but I have searched in vain for a primary source discussing explicit permission for deacons to wear the zucchetto. The reason is probably that the zucchetto is only a liturgical item for the bishop or an abbot; a priest or deacon would leave it in the sacristy, anyway. The places I've read about priests and deacons wearing it all say the custom died out some time ago.

The reference to legislation by Paul VI is more accurately an Instruction of the Secretariat of State called Ut sive sollicite; it deals with cardinals and other prelates; it does not mention simple priests and deacons.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
Fr Serafim serving liturgy in Swedish at St Joseph Orthodox Church in Sarasota, FL with the Vicar General and the Metropolitan and other Clergy and faithful

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Saint Emmanuel Orthodox Church

I dig this.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »

Nice pictures!

Oh, that's fact that there are some specials rolled up vestments:
http://wf1.xcdn.pl/files/18/03/31/474014_XngK_.20MichaC58220Rudnicki208270_83.jpg

But in another picture I've seen something different

Both pictures are from the Liturgies of Good Friday celebrated according to the rites before the reform of the Holy Week (1955)

That is the famed “Folded chasuble,” which I think was usually not just a regular black fiddleback folded up once per annum, but rather, for priests who could afford it, a black fiddleback chasuble specially made and sewn into the folded position for use on Good Friday.  Their use was IIRC not universal, and personally I have mixed feelings on it, although given that black chasubles were the norm in all requiem masses, it does make sense to have something special for the Mass of the Presanctified.  I guess I am just not entirely sure of the aesthetics.

In the rite of Lyons they used ash colored vestments, kind of a charcoal, tan color, on Ash Wednesday, instead of black, and recently this has been revived (the Lyonaise Rite is being resuscitated thankfully), and that is an effective look.  I like the dark red / burgundy Byzantine vestments one is likely to see in a Greek Orthodox church the most for Good Friday (Great and Holy Friday in EO terminology).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Online Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2018, 11:24:57 PM »
Some nice pictures thanks

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:52 AM »

We offered the traditional blessing of a bonfire on the eve of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist after vespers this evening.

"O Lord God, Father almighty, unfailing Ray and Source of all light, sanctify this new fire, and grant that after the darkness of this world we may come with pure minds unto thee Who art Light eternal..."

Source

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
I guess I should also post this, even though I'm sure it's been seen already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCT-vUOjGs&t=43s

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »

No, but thanks! That's great.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »

I have seen it already it is a very holy liturgy only complain about the crucifix Christs feet are crossed and you how I feel about that!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
What's with wiping the crucifix after each person venerates it?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »

so no germs are spread!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »

so no germs are spread!

That's not how that works, but ok!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »
St. Thomas in Mountain Home, Ark.

Formerly Reformed Episcopal/ACNA.

And also this:

Offline Briven

• Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

Sant Appollinare in Ravenna. Going to count it as western rite Orthodox given that it is pre schism and features correct western iconography without canonical breaking - note how the mosaicist did not portray Christ as a lamb but rather had the lambs (christians) looking towards the Holy Cross which features the Holy Face.

This is truly western iconography, and the entire church was covered in the same thing until the venetians redid everything but the apse.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:40:31 PM by Briven »
The message of this universal temptation that attacks men today - quite openly in its secular forms, but usually more hidden in its religious forms - is: Live for the present, enjoy yourself, relax, be comfortable. - Seraphim Rose

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

The gesture, rather than the word, is the true transmitter of traditions.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »

Sant Appollinare in Ravenna. Going to count it as western rite Orthodox given that it is pre schism and features correct western iconography without canonical breaking - note how the mosaicist did not portray Christ as a lamb but rather had the lambs (christians) looking towards the Holy Cross which features the Holy Face.

This is truly western iconography, and the entire church was covered in the same thing until the venetians redid everything but the apse.

This is amazing!

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

i would pray in there!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »
^Reminds me of St. Paul's church in Rome. Interestingly enough I had to look for a picture as I didn't remember much of it. The relics got my attention and I don't usually have any strong religious experiences or feelings.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »

Unlike a regular icon, I think here every single person kisses the same general location, so it's more difficult to avoid lipstick / lip balm marks.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

Unlike a regular icon, I think here every single person kisses the same general location, so it's more difficult to avoid lipstick / lip balm marks.

Most people kiss the same general area of an icon too.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
Not necessarily - some people kiss the bottom, some people kiss the hands, the dress, some people kiss the center of the icon, some people kiss the feet of other Saints that may be on the icon, etc. etc.

Here, you have to kiss Jesus's feet.

I don't know, it's clearly a carryover from Western practice.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
It depends on the culture.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2018, 04:29:33 PM »

Bacterial or viral?

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »

Bacterial or viral?

Yes.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός