Author Topic: New Testament Trinity icons  (Read 141 times)

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
New Testament Trinity icons
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »
Is there anything prohibiting portraying God the father? if so could you also give me the Orthodox opinion of New Testament Trinity icons?
IC XC
NI KA

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen
Re: New Testament Trinity icons
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:06:33 AM »
Is there anything prohibiting portraying God the father? if so could you also give me the Orthodox opinion of New Testament Trinity icons?

I believe that the 7th Ecumenical Council prohibits the portrayal of the Divinity of God, but allows it in the form of God the Son, because He took on material flesh, which is comprehensible to us.

It should be clear.....

Except the Old Testament a few times describes God the Father (the "old man" image comes from Daniel, or the "Ancient of Days.")
Obviously, nobody can fully see and comprehend the Divinity of God, so it would be blasphemous to believe that God the Father can be fully represented in paint.

To believe it is symbolic (maybe a reference to Christ in the Book of Revelation? Although the Church Fathers tend to disagree with this view) or a reference to the Old Testament, and not God as He actually is......I don't have the answer to that question.

I mean, it's not like the Russian Orthodox Church is excommunicated for their very Western fresco of the Trinity. I don't think people really venerate such an image.

I wouldn't venerate such images, though - better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:08:13 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt