Author Topic: Does Patriarch of Constantinople celebrate Liturgy every Sunday in Istanbul?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Anthony1986

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
I might travel to Istanbul next January.
I will attend the Liturgy in Patriarchal Church of St. George.

Does Patriarch of Constantinople celebrate Divine Liturgy in St. George every Sunday?

Will I have chance to meet Patriarch of Constantinople  Bartholomew I?

Will I be able to talk to him?

Will I be able to receive communion from him?

O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Anthony1986

Also is it possible for Ecumenical Patriarch to hear my confession?
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Anthony1986

Has anyone been to Istanbul? Is it safe? Is it same as most European cities or is it very Islamized?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Constantinople? Yes, I've been, but not for 20 years now.

It was fairly safe. It is full of Muslims so, no, it's Berlin.

Possible, but unlikely. HAH is rather busy. You might write ahead to ask if you want to try.

No, HAH does not celebrate every Sunday. For one thing, HAH is often out of town (as other primates are). Again, you might write. If you are there for Theophany, for instance, it is more likely HAH will be there (unless there is some other Church favored for that Feast). Or Three Hierarchs.

You might be able to talk, but maybe not-there is a lot of needed security around him.

If you are in GOARCH, and can get a introductory letter from your bishop, it might work better.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Anthony1986

So the EP is not in Constantinople  most of time??? He only celebrate the liturgy in Constantinople during important feast day??

So that is mean it is difficult to attend the liturgy celebrated by him and receive communion from him...

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
So the EP is not in Constantinople  most of time??? He only celebrate the liturgy in Constantinople during important feast day??

So that is mean it is difficult to attend the liturgy celebrated by him and receive communion from him...

You are reading way too much into ialmisry's response. You had multiple questions which he answered in a general way.

While Patriarch Bartholomew has traveled a lot more than his predecessors, I would guess that he is in Constantinople about 90% of the time, given his age.

I have no idea about talking to him, receiving communion from him, receiving confession from him. I think it is doubtful without special arrangement.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
A letter from your bishop, especially sent to HAH ahead of time, would be the best way of introducing yourself.  Also, carry a copy with you.  I don't know if they just let anyone in the Phanar unless there is some reason for you to be there, but again, I don't know. I've never been to the Phanar.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
The Saint George cathedral and the surrounding compound was open to the public when I went in 2010. I was advised to have a copy of my passport for security, due to a recent bombing attack, but no one stopped me and asked for it. (Getting into the offices is something else but I don't know why you'd want to unless you had some actual business there). It was the Dormition liturgy but the patriarch wasn't there because he was at the Sumela monastery, so one of the metropolitans was the celebrant. If he were there it's highly unlikely he'd have time to talk to me owing to the bus loads of Greek tourists.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I might travel to Istanbul next January.
I will attend the Liturgy in Patriarchal Church of St. George.

Does Patriarch of Constantinople celebrate Divine Liturgy in St. George every Sunday?

Will I have chance to meet Patriarch of Constantinople  Bartholomew I?

Will I be able to talk to him?

Will I be able to receive communion from him? 

The others have answered well.  My perspective, as one who has been twice (2006 and 2013):

1. There is Liturgy at St. George's every Sunday, and there are liturgies in a number of the parishes in the city.  Most parishes are made up of 2-3 churches, and only one of those Churches will have Liturgy.  In any case, you may wish to contact the English Language office at the Patriarchate for more information (patriarchate.english@gmail.com).  You'll speak either with Dn. Nephon or George.

2. The Patriarch does not celebrate the liturgy every week.  The received custom is that he'll celebrate on major feasts at the Cathedral, and when he travels, but most often presides from the throne.

3. If he is there and you are there, then you will most likely be introduced to him and have a chance to speak with him.  The exception is if you show up on a day when there is some sort of planned activity, meeting, conference, etc.  But on a typical day he prefers to meet those who come to the Patriarchate.

4. Receiving communion: only if he liturgizes.  But that shouldn't make a difference - the Body of Christ is what it is wherever it is regardless of the person offering it.  I think we feel an emotional pull toward receiving from our (insert here: childhood priest, spiritual father, mentor, respected elder, etc.), but the Eucharist is the same Christ in all cases (even when offered by us paeans).

5. A letter of introduction would serve you well - identify you as an Orthodox Christian in good standing, etc.  If the one you receive is in a language other than Greek, have it sent over beforehand (to the English language office, who can forward it to the right translator).

I hope this helps.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam