Author Topic: Gettings vespers at parishes that don't offer it  (Read 347 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Gettings vespers at parishes that don't offer it
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
I'm very happy at my ACROD parish, but one thing I sorely miss from my OCA days is vespers. I know that the cathedral and some parishes do offer it every week, but it seems most ACROD parishes ignore it and matins and just do the Sunday Liturgy. Still being a fairly new parishioner, with less than perfect Sunday attendance, I'm not in a position to be changing anything. I'm just wondering if others here have gotten their parishes to offer services they didn't before, and what that process was like.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
Re: Gettings vespers at parishes that don't offer it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
Have you spoken to the priest about the possibility of adding Vespers on Saturday evenings?  I know of a Serbian parish that was not regularly having Vespers.  Two people spoke up and volunteered to come as singers and readers and now they have Vespers on a regular basis.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
Our parish does a pretty full cycle, I'd be pretty frustrated if there wasn't that opportunity. I think letting your priest know you're interested is a start, and offering to help read would be a step further. I know a priest who once referred to Saturday evening vespers as his "alone time with God,"  because no one would come but him. Our priest has an open invitation to all parishioners to do liturgy on their names day, if it isn't scheduled already, with the only condition being that you are willing to attend Vigil the night before.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
I think letting your priest know you're interested is a start, and offering to help read would be a step further.
+1

Our priest has an open invitation to all parishioners to do liturgy on their names day, if it isn't scheduled already, with the only condition being that you are willing to attend Vigil the night before.

Wow, that's really great!
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
Surprising not to see Great Vespers on a Saturday, why is that?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
Surprising not to see Great Vespers on a Saturday, why is that?

I don't know, but in some jurisdictions (eg mine, GOA) it seems unusual for parishes to offer weekly vespers. I would be happy even if they did it once a month.

I'm going to work myself up to broaching the subject with the priest and the head cantor.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:34:48 PM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
I'm very happy at my ACROD parish, but one thing I sorely miss from my OCA days is vespers. I know that the cathedral and some parishes do offer it every week, but it seems most ACROD parishes ignore it and matins and just do the Sunday Liturgy. Still being a fairly new parishioner, with less than perfect Sunday attendance, I'm not in a position to be changing anything. I'm just wondering if others here have gotten their parishes to offer services they didn't before, and what that process was like.

Are there others in your parish who may be interested in having a vespers either during a weekday or on Saturday evening?  Strength in numbers.  Also, a consideration:  would you have chanters for the sung portions?  I think that many parishes simply do not have Vespers or even Orthros because they lack a choir and/or chanters and the parishioners don't feel qualified to sing/chant those portions themselves.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
Based on my experience of being the only one to show up at any evening services, I don't expect I could successfully lobby for Vespers.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH