Author Topic: Tabots consecrated for new Ethiopian Orthodox monastery in New York  (Read 369 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
On the evening of Thursday, August 24, 2017, the clergy and faithful of the Ethiopian Orthodox Archdiocese of New York gathered at the historic Holy Trinity Cathedral in the Bronx to consecrate a pair of tabots – sacred altar stones, without which a church’s altar is not considered valid – for the chapels of the newly dedicated Kidane Mehret Kidane Selam Hermitage and Women’s Monastery, which is presently being established in New York’s Catskill Mountains.

The rest here:

http://www.scooch.org/2017/08/scooch-clergy-participate-in-consecration-of-ethiopian-tabots/
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: Tabots consecrated for new Ethiopian Orthodox monastery in New York
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »
Glory to God!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
Thanks be to God.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »
I love the pictures :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
This is thrilling.  We will finally have a canonical Ethiopian Rite monastery in the US.  I havent been able to verify if that Syriac Orthodox monastery which seems predominantly convertoyo , is canonical or not, so this could also be the third canonical OO monastery after the two Coptic monasteried, and the second OO rite to have a monastery in the US.   The Assyrians, who I would jokingly call our ecclesiological nemesis, recently opened their first monastery since Tamerlane in Modesto, so I think more OO monasteries are good. 

I would love to see the Armenians, in particular, open one; right now the only Armenian monasteries are associated with the Holy Sepulchre, Holy Etchmadzin and the catholicosate in Cilicia, and possibly in Istanbul; the former provides the monks who look after the sacred sites controlled jointly or solely by the Armenians, and the latter from what I have read exist largely to provide clergy to support the two Catholicoi, to running their cathedrals, especially Etchmiadzin, both of which are pilgrimage sites, amd to provide a pool from which bishops are ordained.  (if I am wrong on any of this Brigidsboy, please let me know).   It would be thrilling to see a general purpose Armenian monastery in the US.

A dream of mine is that in addition to their new monastery in Catskill, the Ethiopians, together with the Syriacs and the Armenians, might open up sketes around the Coptic monastery of St. Anthonys, which is vast; particularly the beautiful new Cathedral of St. Moses the Black, which already attracts tour busses of Armenian visitors.  The sleepy hamlets of Yermo and Newberry Springs could become an American Scetis, an Oriental Orthodox Athos in the diaspora.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »
I love the pictures :)

I wonder what church the white deacon the middle is from.  His diaconal crown looks Coptic; those have become rare, but his stole appears wrapped under his right arm like a Syriac Orthodox subdeacon; I could be wrong but I thought Syriac, Armenian and Coptic full deacons, who might wear a crown, wear the stole over their left shoulder only.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
Glory to God!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.