Author Topic: Do you believe in aliens?  (Read 579 times)

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Do you believe in aliens?
« on: August 30, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
Re: Do you believe in aliens?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
Seems possible...
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »

My father was an alien. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Is that girl winking in your avatar an alien?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:22:44 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
No, she is not an alien.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »
Then she must be a demon!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
Why do you think so?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
She has her left eye shut to conceal the burning red gorgon's eye.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
She has her left eye shut to conceal the burning red gorgon's eye.

That red eye flashes every 23 seconds. She's obviously a HITMark on the lookout for reality deviants.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:04:34 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »
Yes, I have vaguely considered becoming one in Canada.

P.S.: Mor got here first.  :-X
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:51:20 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
This may sound odd from a science fiction enthusiast, but I don't care.  Any with the ability to communicate with us I believe are well out of range; SETI has had several decades of access to top tier radio telescopes and hasn't detected any broadcasts.  Without radio broadcasting, we can't hope to establish a more direct communications mode, such as some form of optical signallimg using an extremely powerful array of lasers operating below the infrared spectrum, and also, broadcasting via radio is a logical step in the evolution of technology to optical signalling.   So if there are any aliens, they are too far away for us to communicate with.

This does not mean they do not exist; there could be some, in the further reaches of the Milky Way, or perhaps in Andromeda, which is a galaxy very similiar to ours which might well support life, our closest galactic neighbor, or in more distant galaxies.   God is love, love entails creation, and if he created other beings in His image on distant worlds, this would not come as a shock.

What we can say however is that the UFO subculture is built upon lies, fantasies, and I believe, as did Fr. Seraphim Rose, demonic deception.   Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future remains the definitive treatment of the UFO phenomenon from an Orthodox theological perspective.*

*Until recently, it was also the definitive treatment of the Charismatic and Pentecostal heresies, but the new second edition of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy goes into much more detail and is more up to date, representing the definitive Orthodox rebuttal of these errors, wihout the anti-ecumenical polemic present in Fr. Seraphim's corpus.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
Dude, stop. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future has an embarrassingly poor record when it comes to its prognostications. Pick any random Protestant-ish crank with doomsday predictions and they'll get about as much correct as Fr. Seraphim did in that book. Seriously, ever heard of the concept of "covering your father's nakedness"? Stop being like Ham and exposing someone you presumably respect. Even Fr. Seraphim realised and regretted late in life that some of the stuff he had said was causing a lot of harm or was just flat out wrong.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 12:14:58 AM »
There could be 100 to 200 billion galaxies in our universe.  With a universe that big, the odds are high that there is life somewhere besides earth.  Ultimately, it depends on whether the Lord wanted to create life on other planets or not.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
No, I believe in God.

If you're asking if I think that there are aliens out there in the far expanse of the universe, I honestly don't know. I've watched enough Star Trek to hope that there are other civilizations out there, but the chances of those being discovered now or in our life time are so slim that it's probably best not to waste much time even thinking about it.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »

The Cylons were created by man.  They're not aliens.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
^If they show up at my front door, I am still going to hide.

Offline youssef

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
One time i had see an alien, he was funny. ;D

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
I have never seen an alien.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
Dude, stop. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future has an embarrassingly poor record when it comes to its prognostications. Pick any random Protestant-ish crank with doomsday predictions and they'll get about as much correct as Fr. Seraphim did in that book. Seriously, ever heard of the concept of "covering your father's nakedness"? Stop being like Ham and exposing someone you presumably respect. Even Fr. Seraphim realised and regretted late in life that some of the stuff he had said was causing a lot of harm or was just flat out wrong.

What he wrote about UFO experiences and pentecostal/charismatic glossolalia and euphoric states being demonic was 100% correct.

What he wrote about his fears of a "Religion of the Future" looked reasonable as an extrapolation in the 1970s due to the mass-mergers of some mainline churches (for example, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Evangelical United Brethren into the UMC, the ALC, LCA and Augustana Synod into the ELCA, and similiar cases), and the charismatic movements which had become active in all of the above, in Roman Catholicism, and even in Eastern Orthodoxy (remember Logos magazine?)

His concern was these events, combined with cultural phenomena like the adogmatic Jesus People and the increasing obsession with aliens, alien abductions (which are demonic experiences), and charismatic experiences (also demonic) would lead to the unification of the Christian church, and tnat ecumenism would lead to syncretism, based on the later works of Thomas Merton (who became obsessed with and possibly apostasized to Buddhism before being electrocuted in a bathtub in a possible suicide attempt), and the increasing syncretic events that were at the time already occuring in the Episcopal Church (Native American shamans at St. John the Divine, and so on); the result of this he feared would be a one world religion under demonic influence led by the antiChrist.

In the event, these fears so far have not been realized, and seem less likely given the emergence of the conservative evangelical and fundamentalist Christian community and Islamic fundamentalism, shortly after he wrote the book.  His fears however were not groundless; the Religion of the Future he juxtaposed with Orthodoxy was an extrapolation, not a prophecy, and what is more, something like that religion has taken root in the mainline Protestant churches, and in Unitarian Universalism, which unlike the mainline churches, is growing (the Bahai Faith also experienced some growth as a sort of exotic Universalism with pretty gardens); there is also the growth in Wicca, Paganism and Earth-centered spirituality.

Basically, the Religion of the Future did not take over the world, as he fears, but it did come into existence, and what is more, one could argue, and I think I will, that the scenario he outlines remains possible if political leaders start promoting religious syncretism and liberalism, and using hate speech law against traditionalists, as a means of curtailing sectarian violence (although this Religion of the Future will be competing with the New Atheism).

~

You claim Fr. Seraphim Rose regretted some statements.  Citation needed.  I would like to see a copy of his answer to St. Augustine's Retractions before commenting.  However, the possibility exists that he may have erred about being in error.

~

Fr. Andrew Damick posted a review by a doctor of theology of the new book on aerial toll houses published by Greek St. Anthont's, which claims ecclesiological errors in the extremely literal interpretation of the toll house idea by the disciples of Elder Ephrem; he also cited The Soul After Death by Fr. Seraphim Rose as offering a more balanced perspective on this issue, in that Fr. Seraphim Rose stressed the need to interpret the visions of toll houses as describing in human language a spiritual reality, as opposed to reading them as a literal celestial version of passport control at London Heathrow on a busy day.

~

Now, let's turn the tables a bit.  Do you believe, contrary to all scientific evidence, that alien spacecraft are visiting the Earth and abducting people, giving them anal probes, er cetera?  Do you believe the involuntary spasms and glossolalia of Charismatics and Pentecostals represents healhy spirituality?

If not, its difficult to see from an Orthodox perspective any reasonable middle ground in which we could accept the people who believe they are abductees or who engage in charismatic worship as being in anything other than prelest, which is demonic delusion.

Fr. Seraphim Rose remains properly adorned in his schema, exorason and zostikon, and in terms of spiritual wisdom and repentence is probably better dressed than most of us.  I consider him to possibly be a saint and hope this is investigated at some point by the OCA.  Our Lord wrote that you can jusge a tree by its fruits, and his monastery in Northern California continues to flourish, and has never been associated with the kind of problems that plagued another monastery; this is noteworthy in that it evinces true and complete metanoia from homosexuality, the kind of sacrifice of contrition beloved by God, amd proof of the helthiness of eating from that tree.

The main critic of his work has been Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, and respect for the dignity of the hierarchy precludes me from comparing and contrasting the work and statements of the two monastics.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »

Only in nBSG.  In the original, they were created by reptillian aliens who they murdered, but the Imperious Leader retained a reptillian appearance.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »

Only in nBSG.  In the original, they were created by reptillian aliens who they murdered, but the Imperious Leader retained a reptillian appearance.

I'm well aware of that.  But since he posted a pic from the new series, I answered accordingly. 

And, btw, the reptilian Cylons weren't murdered by the machines not according to the original.  Apollo even says to Boxy that they died out yarns ago and they still call the machines Cylons.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 01:53:15 AM »

I'm well aware of that.  But since he posted a pic from the new series, I answered accordingly. 

And, btw, the reptilian Cylons weren't murdered by the machines not according to the original.  Apollo even says to Boxy that they died out yarns ago and they still call the machines Cylons.

Very good.  Somwe have wstablisjed your geek-competence.  Now, one peculiarity was the actor who played Count Iblis, the devil, also provided he voice of the Imperious Leader, and they mande something of this.  I recall Count Baltar screaming "that voice!"

Tthe original BSG had a lot of material I wish  BSG had addressed; I find myself longing for a new third BSG that would be the synthesis of the two.  Alas, with no Richard Hatch (memory eternal!)

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
Undecided but from what little I know, if these creatures exist, they're not friendly. Demons?
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
Undecided but from what little I know, if these creatures exist, they're not friendly. Demons?
. . . or IRS agents. 8)