OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:32:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this the true Ethiopian Tewaedo Church???  (Read 3939 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: September 25, 2005, 02:25:04 AM »

Hello

I was on the Internet today and I found this strange site, it's suposed to be the Mission of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewaedo Church in Costa Rica (Central America) and according to the site, they are under ABUNE YESEHAQ Bishop of the EOC in South-Africa and the Western Hemisphere. The priest in charge is ABBA GEBRE TSADIK.

http://iglesiaortodoxaethiope.01.free.bm/

Now that was the Orthodox aspect of the site, but there is a very un-orthodox one also. In addition to the priest they have a "religious leader" or "Ras", they say to follow the doctrines of Rastafari and Haile Selassie I. In the sacraments part they advocate the use of Marihuana as a sacrament.

If this mission is true, their priest is doing very bad job by allowing these guys to do this kind of site and operate within the parish. The page is in Spanish. Hispanics will have a totaly wrapped view of the certainly venerable and ancient Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

I am myself confused.

Thanks!

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:42:09 AM »

In my opinion, sounds like a cover for their religion.

"Ras" in Arabic means "A Head." Could be a head of animal or a head of an institution or organization. This is why they call it "Ras" or "Rastafarian." Pray for them....they are very confused people.

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 01:43:08 AM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
ethiopicartist
Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox

God bless you..may God have mercy on us sinners

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:12 PM »

Embarrassed
         It is unfortunate that Rastarfari relgion even exist and I think I know why it does.The Jamicans were very oppressed and depressed about being seprated from africa.So much of history revealing only that africans endure slavery after being capture more likely sold by other african countries because they were prisoners of war.I always look at ethiopia as the only black presence in the holy bible and talk about ethiopia to get african americans to look at us as brothers and maybe come to the orthodox faith but some how for many it turns to black pride as they worship a haile salessia a king that is a memeber of the orthodox faith.He told them not to look at him as holy but those who call themselves rastarfir refuse.I look at all the kings of ethiopia as who they really are mere men and likewise for the queens.                 

Ethiopia has had many kings but in fact we have one King,Lord Jesus Christos,Ethiopia has had many queens but in fact we have one Queen,Holy Vrigin Mariam, Smiley

Lord Jesus Christ,Son of God,by the Mother of God have mercy on us sinners:34  I give you a new commandment, that you  love  one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should  love  one anot
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:56 AM »

Embarrassed
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ Â  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

Ethiopia has had many kings but in fact we have one King,Lord Jesus Christos,Ethiopia has had many queens but in fact we have one Queen,Holy Vrigin Mariam, Smiley

I agree with you 100%....

In Christ,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »

Hello

I was on the Internet today and I found this strange site, it's suposed to be the Mission of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewaedo Church in Costa Rica (Central America) and according to the site, they are under ABUNE YESEHAQ Bishop of the EOC in South-Africa and the Western Hemisphere. The priest in charge is ABBA GEBRE TSADIK.

http://iglesiaortodoxaethiope.01.free.bm/

Now that was the Orthodox aspect of the site, but there is a very un-orthodox one also. In addition to the priest they have a "religious leader" or "Ras", they say to follow the doctrines of Rastafari and Haile Selassie I. In the sacraments part they advocate the use of Marihuana as a sacrament.

If this mission is true, their priest is doing very bad job by allowing these guys to do this kind of site and operate within the parish. The page is in Spanish. Hispanics will have a totaly wrapped view of the certainly venerable and ancient Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

I am myself confused.

Thanks!

Dear Mexican, I do not know anything about the mission in Costa Rica. But Archbishop Yeshehaq (who passed away this month) was appointed as a missionaryMetropolitan to the western hemisphere by Ethiopian Patriarch Abune Baselius during the time of Emperor Haile Selassie.  He was a great scholar in Ethiopian Church history and theology. Also he was involved in converting about 55 thousand rastafarians in Carribean islands to Ethiopian Orthodox faith. He wrote many books about EOC.  But there was some political issues in Ethiopia after the Archbishop was ordained. This resulted in a split in the Ethiopian Church between the Church in the West and Ethiopia. I hope and pray this division heal eventually.

What you saw about Costa Rica mission may be a startup  mission, perhaps in the beginning stages. Perhaps we should not compare it with EOC (i.e. use our common sense in such matters).  I read in an article that there are seperate parishes for those who converted to Ethiopian Orthodox Church, perhaps because there is an initial delay in adjusting to true Ethiopian Orthodox practises. I think having a mission is better than doing nothing to change them.  Following articles may be  informative:

Brief Life History of His Eminence Abune Yesehaq Archbishop:
http://ethiopianreview.homestead.com/AbuneYeshaqBio01102006.pdf

Ethiopians in D.C. Region Mourn Archbishop's Death
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/12/AR2006011201952.html

-Paul

Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

Dear Paul

Thanks a lot for the information. It disturbed me to see that the site somehow encourages the use of the green pot, this is very wrong and un-religious.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »

I know this is a very old thread, but I just saw it and felt the need to respond. I know Abba Gebre Tsadik well and he is thoroughly Orthodox. His mission is to continue the evangelistic efforts of Emperor Haile Selassie and Abuna Yesehaq in the Western hemisphere. He has baptized many Rastafarians and taught them the true Orthodox Tewahedo Faith. Unfortunately, some Rastafarians continue to try to hold on to unorthodox ideas while professing to be part of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. But these unorthodox ideas are in no way endorsed or promoted by Abba Gebre Tsadik. He has a very difficult mission with many complex issues and struggles that he has to deal with. Abuna Yesehaq faced the same challenges. Please keep our dear father in your prayers and don't believe the misinformation that some people are spreading about him.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Rastafarianism Rasta Rastafarian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: