Poll

How do you view those Episcopi Vagante churches which claim to have valid Apostolic succession from an Orthodox - usually Syriac - line?

The Vatican View - At least some such ordinations are "valid" but "unlawful".  Their bishops are bishops, just not in communion with the Universal Church.
The Eastern Orthodox View - Their ordinations are not actual ordinations at all, and thus the persons so ordained are not bishops at all.
It varies based upon the ecclesial body in question and their faith and practice.
They are just silly, self-important people who like to play dress up and declare themselves to be Patriarchs from their living rooms.
They are our estranged brothers in the Orthodox faith and dialogue with them is more important than that with the Catholics and Protestants.
I do not recognize their claims to Apostolic succession, but I view them simply as more heterodox Christians akin to the various Protestant sects.
Other: My point of view is not represented here, and I will explain it below.

Author Topic: How Do You View the "Orthodox" Episcopi Vagante Churches?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
How Do You View the "Orthodox" Episcopi Vagante Churches?
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
There has been a lot of discussion about the various and exotic, colorful and sometimes silly Episcopi vagantes churches which claim to have valid Apostolic succession, usually from a Syriac Orthodox source, but I would like to know where individual posters stand on these churches and why.  I am aware, of course, that there are various lines of succession - some Eastern and some Western, and more often than not a convoluted mix of various lines - that these groups lay claim to, but as an Oriental Orthodox Christian, I am particularly interested in your point of view on those vagante churches claiming to derive from an Oriental Orthodox line, such as the Rene Vilatte and Jules Ferrette lines.  If, however, you feel that the lines are now so convoluted as to make any distinction between these lines and Western lines virtually impossible, I am open to that point of view as well.  Please vote and discuss!  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
Re: How Do You View the "Orthodox" Episcopi Vagante Churches?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
As you can see from my account info on the left, I am a Catholic. The first poll answer is essentially what we believe, to which I'll add the fourth. It's usually a whole lot of nothing; people playing priest with few or no congregations. They've long claimed to be Old Catholic (group in Holland who left the church around 1871 over papal infallibility) because the Old Catholics tried to start parishes in America but those priests often broke with them, much like what happened to the Eastern churches including the Orthodox who trusted these men and ordained or received them as clergy. Fun fact: because of all this, the Old Catholics have given up on trying to have parishes in America; their official representative here is now the Episcopal Church. "If you're in America and like us, become an Episcopalian."

Some of them may have valid orders but except in an emergency when a Catholic may ask any priest for the sacraments (since "the church supplies jurisdiction" to any priest in an emergency), the question's moot. Most of the time, there are no such churches and even if there were one in town, I wouldn't go there for Sunday Mass.

Those who have apostolic succession don't feel like they have to prove it by pulling out charts showing their "lines of succession." The Orthodox don't talk like that, being more holistic ("if it's not in the church, we're not interested," which rules us out but also cuts through this nonsense). Good rule of thumb: if the priest you just met starts in on that, run.

It's an unintended effect of Catholic theology about valid orders outside the church, thanks to which we recognize all Eastern bishops as bishops. It's both true and worth the fuss, and anyway, these groups are tiny and don't really bother anyone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:17:37 AM by The young fogey »
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
I chose the"it varies " position although I think the Eastern Orthodox position is almost always the truth. There are  also circumstances I know I am ignorant of, so I chose "it varies ".
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:51 AM »
I chose "They are just silly, self-important people who like to play dress up and declare themselves to be Patriarchs from their living rooms."
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Other: I don't know.

On one hand, there's the Roman Catholic position, which recognizes them as ordained clergy.  On the other hand, there's the Orthodox position, IIUC, which does not, because they are outside the Church.  Methinks that Catholics would describe their ordination as valid, but illicit and, were Orthodox to use the same terms, their ordination are illicit and thus invalid.  Both Churches, with which I'm most familiar with, though not an expert in their canon laws, agree that their ordination is illicit, but they differ in the context where they happened: inside the Church or outside.

In other words, I don't know. 

PS: I know a vagante Orthodox priest who is a friend and whom I respect as a priest, even by kissing his hands.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:33:54 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
It's usually a whole lot of nothing; people playing priest with few or no congregations.

I recently found one of these groups that openly advertised on the front page of their Website that they had 60-plus clergy and six ministries, which came to something like four chapels and two people functioning as institutional chaplains.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »
I chose "They are just silly, self-important people who like to play dress up and declare themselves to be Patriarchs from their living rooms."

Have you ever spoken with any, out of curiosity?  I have (on the phone), and my opinion is that while they are usually deluded cranks, some with mental illness, I haven't met any her that do it for that reason.   Actually, I wish AN had provided an "All of the above" option to his poll, because, while I believe some do it for the reason you cite, he ones I've met live that lifestyle for a variety of reasons.

Now, where I found what you describe to be the case in the form of a pair of self-declared Melkite monks who lived not in a monastery but in an apartment they declared their "hermitage," one of whom spammed another Christian forum with pro-gay threads.   I am more concerned about fake monks within canonical churches or who claim to be within canonical churches, than episcopi vagantes, who are usually easily identifiable.

One of the more rational ones I spoke to was a seminary drop-out for instance.  Then, there is a doctor in Hawaii who specializes in treating AIDS patients, who are largely homosexual, and happens to love our liturgy, but felt the need to create his own "Independent Orthodox Church" because we are "homophobic" for refusing to perform gay marriage.   Then, the strangest of all of them is the Bishop of the Ecclesia Gnostica, who is deeply into the occult, and who sincerely believes in Gnosticism, gives lectures on it, and presides over a community of like-minded people on the West Coast; he is also fascinated with Carl Jung, who was himself fascinated by Gnosticism and financed the recovery and initial publication of the Nag Hammadi books.

Then, lastly, we have the Metropolitan of the British Orthodox Church, whose reasons for being a vagante I cannot discuss, but I will say the majority of the people who used to comprise the BOC who remained with the Copts definitely made the right call.  I think he's the nephew of the chap who founded the Ecclesia Gnostica, whose brother spent a great deal or energy attempting to get ordained as a bishop from as many lines of succession as possible.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
"They are just silly, self-important people who like to play dress up and declare themselves to be Patriarchs from their living rooms."

To clarify: such bodies like Macedonian Church, Kiev Patriarchate or some Old Calendarists are definitely not vagante, but "only" schismatics, so I'm not sure about their Sacraments (especially in the case of Macedonia; because I've heard from some priests that some people don't feel any grace in the Kiev Patriarchate, and they go there only for political reasons :( ).

But the question for me is: what's the situation of person in e.g Latin America, that has never met any canonical Orthodox priest, but discovers one of the vagante groups and joins them? I think there is, maybe small, but still, possiblity that the Holy Spirit can work in/for such person... Such person doesn't receive true Sacraments (but... actually, who knows?..) but they're not the only way for God...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
But the question for me is: what's the situation of person in e.g Latin America, that has never met any canonical Orthodox priest, but discovers one of the vagante groups and joins them?
The Orthodox parish in Puerto Rico which recently converted to Catholicism certainly has a whiff of this.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:40:01 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
But the question for me is: what's the situation of person in e.g Latin America, that has never met any canonical Orthodox priest, but discovers one of the vagante groups and joins them? I think there is, maybe small, but still, possiblity that the Holy Spirit can work in/for such person... Such person doesn't receive true Sacraments (but... actually, who knows?..) but they're not the only way for God...
Probably the same as everybody in the white counties on this map of America, where Orthodoxy doesn't exist:
http://assemblyofbishops.org/assets/maps/USBishopsAndParishesDecember2016.pdf
I figure something like "even the dogs eat the crumbs from the Master's table" and "the Spirit blows where it wills" probably applies. With nobody Orthodox within hundreds of miles to correct them, they have to do the best they can until we build St. Tikhon's in their town.

As far as the original question, I would just call them heterodox communions..."estranged Orthodox brethren" would apply to the Old Calendarist and splinter groups of the Russian catacomb church, except they don't really want to talk to us unless we anathemize all other Christians and change the calendar back first.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »

Have you ever spoken with any, out of curiosity?

Years ago, I had an email exchange with one I considered closer to legitimate than the others. His main objection was closed versus open communion. That was it. But the whole thing ended when I asked him specifically how within his line of succession he became a bishop. He got very defensive, fast, and I let it die.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful responses.  My own view is a combination of option 2 (AKA the EO POV) and option 4 (the silly, self-important people POV).  I will admit, however - in the spirit of option 3 (It varies based upon...) - that I do see a difference between a church like this and what appears to be little more than one man playing out a fantasy like this fellow.  In the case of the former organization, there seems to be something approaching a legitimate line of succession, an adherence to traditional dogma, and perhaps even an actual community to serve.  In the case of the latter gentleman, he has apparently declared himself the Patriarch of a country he doesn't live in and apparently has no followers in.  I'm not sure what his objective is there, but it seems to be about conferring grandiose titles upon himself.  I could not see this fellow being received in his "orders" by any Orthodox Church.  The other group, perhaps there is some room for discussion there, especially considering this.  What do you guys thinj?  Would taking groups like these on a case by case basis be the wrong approach?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »

Yes.

Then, lastly, we have the Metropolitan of the British Orthodox Church, whose reasons for being a vagante I cannot discuss...

I don't know if I would classify him as vagante.  That situation, unless I'm missing something, seems more or less like garden variety schism.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
Would taking groups like these on a case by case basis be the wrong approach?

Ask ROCOR.

I believe it's better to take in individuals with proper catechesis, but I'm not a bishop.  Or am I?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »

Yes.

Then, lastly, we have the Metropolitan of the British Orthodox Church, whose reasons for being a vagante I cannot discuss...

I don't know if I would classify him as vagante.  That situation, unless I'm missing something, seems more or less like garden variety schism.

I am not at liberty to discuss what happened, but I would say based on the information I have that he has managed to be the vagante of vagantes, following your own evaluation of them.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 08:22:31 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful responses.  My own view is a combination of option 2 (AKA the EO POV) and option 4 (the silly, self-important people POV).  I will admit, however - in the spirit of option 3 (It varies based upon...) - that I do see a difference between a church like this and what appears to be little more than one man playing out a fantasy like this fellow.  In the case of the former organization, there seems to be something approaching a legitimate line of succession, an adherence to traditional dogma, and perhaps even an actual community to serve.  In the case of the latter gentleman, he has apparently declared himself the Patriarch of a country he doesn't live in and apparently has no followers in.  I'm not sure what his objective is there, but it seems to be about conferring grandiose titles upon himself.  I could not see this fellow being received in his "orders" by any Orthodox Church.  The other group, perhaps there is some room for discussion there, especially considering this.  What do you guys thinj?  Would taking groups like these on a case by case basis be the wrong approach?

There are a few vagante churches that do actually have congregations, small ones, but occasionally we read of one that has as many as a hundred people, nominally.  Usually 10-30.  My view is that when we take in groups like this, we should reordain and test their clergy, and offer those who do not pass the minimal requirements for pastoral service a comfortable retirement to a monastery or hermitage in the manner of Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, who was himself for a time arguably a vagante, who the OCA managed to rescue together with his followers.

One of the most spectacular rescues of a vagante group was when the Antiochians managed to hoover up most of the Evangelical Orthodox Church, reordaining their self proclaimed "bishops" as deacons, and setting them on a path where several became wonderful priests of the church, for example, the late Fr. John Gilquist, memory eternal.  That was a spectacular, large scale recovery.

Also, the Antiochian Western Rite Vicarate was a breakaway Anglo Catholic movement in the 1940s that, had it not been received canonically, would probably be one of these groups.

At the same time, we have nothing to gain by receiving the Patriarch of Trinidad, because he has no congregation and is basically a poser.   And we would have nothing to gain from receiving the Ecclesia Gnostica, because they exist on the premise that the evil Orthodox suppressed and persecuted the true, virtuous Gnostic faith basically to extinction.  In fact if we were to call up Bishop Hoeller about reunion I expect he would laugh at us.

By the way, I have not indulged in crank calling episcopi vagantes; my conversations with them have been sincere and not a tongue in cheek sort or reenactment of The Dinner Game.  However, that does not mean I take all of them seriously.  One ridiculous fellow for example had a particular obsession with being referred to as "your Grace" to such an extent that conversation with him would have descended to mockery had I persisted.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »

Oh also, Antonious, one option you left out of your list, a variation on no. 2: the Rent-A-Patriarch.   The original Pope of the Palmerian Catholic Church, Gregory XVII, was accused of this, credibly, and there have also been vagante figures who claim to Orthodoxy, some of which we have discussed, who are posing homosexuals, in addition to the fake Melkite monks I mentioned.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
Ask ROCOR.

Please explain.  I don't know what you're referencing here.  Have they absorbed a vagante group or two?

I believe it's better to take in individuals with proper catechesis, but I'm not a bishop.

On the whole, I agree.

Rent-A-Patriarch.

What does this mean?

At the same time, we have nothing to gain by receiving the Patriarch of Trinidad, because he has no congregation and is basically a poser.

:laugh: Sometimes, you really have a way with words, Alpha60!  So, what do you think of the WOCC?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »
Ask ROCOR.

Please explain.  I don't know what you're referencing here.  Have they absorbed a vagante group or two?

I believe it's better to take in individuals with proper catechesis, but I'm not a bishop.

On the whole, I agree.

Rent-A-Patriarch.

What does this mean?

Pope Gregory XVII of the Palmerian Catholic Church was accused among other things of prostitution, not because he needed the money, but for recreational purposes.  Now I don't know if its true or not; I will say the Palmerians are not your typical Vagante jurisdiction, but an extremely dangerous cult which financially exploits its members (mostly traditionalist Catholics) and was the subject of a chilling documentary by the Irish national television channel.

However, in the case of several of these chaps, there is a whiff of homosexuality, and some might engage in prostitution, whereas others might simply engage in perverse acts because that is their lifestyle.

Now, the fake Melkite monks that I encountered, I don't know or want to know what goes on in their hermitage, but it is a fact that one of them trolls another Internet forum with pro-homosexuality threads, on several occasions we have had to lock these threads as they violate our rules, which like those of OCNet prohibit actively promoting homosexuality (and prohibit even discussing it in some forums where we have had problems with it).

He also likes to smear Elder Ephrem of St. Anthonys with a story I have been unable to substantiate, that being that the regional Melkite bishop made an unannounced visit and was turned away "at the gate."  Something about the story doesn't smell right; particularly since the Copts from St. Anthonys one visited their Greek counterparts and, while I get the impression that they were not received with extreme warmth, they were not ejected, either.

At the same time, we have nothing to gain by receiving the Patriarch of Trinidad, because he has no congregation and is basically a poser.

:laugh: Sometimes, you really have a way with words, Alpha60!  So, what do you think of the WOCC?

They appear to have some congregations and some legitimacy, but I would need to talk to them.  I have never spoken with them.  Often, there is some doctrinal excuse that will come up as to why a group like the WOCC isn't seeking reception into, say, the Antiochian Western Rite Vicarate, which it looks to me like it would be a good home for them.  Some of the vagante groups woth congregations like being independent for various reasons, but I will look into the WOCC and perhaps call them at a convenient time.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
Mainstream EOs, OOs and EO schismatics (Ukrainians, Greeks, Russians etc. not the silly Western people) are IMO the only who might have any serious claim on validity.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:02:04 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
As you can see from my account info on the left, I am a Catholic. The first poll answer is essentially what we believe, to which I'll add the fourth. It's usually a whole lot of nothing; people playing priest with few or no congregations. They've long claimed to be Old Catholic (group in Holland who left the church around 1871 over papal infallibility) because the Old Catholics tried to start parishes in America but those priests often broke with them, much like what happened to the Eastern churches including the Orthodox who trusted these men and ordained or received them as clergy. Fun fact: because of all this, the Old Catholics have given up on trying to have parishes in America; their official representative here is now the Episcopal Church. "If you're in America and like us, become an Episcopalian."

This has only been the case since around 2003, when the Polish National Catholic Church was expelled from the Union of Utrecht for refusing to ordain homosexuals or women or perform gay marriages.   One PNCC parish in Toronto briefly broke away and reconnected with the Union of Uttecht, before the conservatives took over again and sent the rainbow flag set packing.

The PNCC has around 50,000 members; one bishop broke away feom them, or a priest really, with one main congregation and a few chapels; it was his group that it was announced it was joining ROCOR, until ROCOR discovered they basically didn't have anything and ended talks.

The PNCC together with the Norwegian Catholic Church form the Union of Scranton, which is conservative, traditional and in opposition to the Union of Utrecht.

Groups like these are in the grey area between the tiny "vagante" churches that do have congregations, and the mainstream, in that these groups will have usually 500 or more members, sometimes tens or thousands.  Thoyizoor, the Independent Malankara Syrian Church, comes to mind.  They have only one bishop, and rely on the Anglicanized, Protestantized Mar Thoma Syrian Church to ordain their bishop, but they themselves observe, as far as I am aware, the full West Syriac liturgical rite.

These churches are legitimate, because they have congregations, and I think ROCOR thought it was taking over such a church with the PNCC breakaway group, whereas it wound up with a tiny congregation.

The BOC was in this category before the incidents that lead to Metropolitan Seraphim leaving Holy Orthodoxy.  Now, while the BOC owns one or two buildings, I doubt they have more than two dozen or so parishioners; most of the people left for St. George's Mission under Fr. Peter and a few other ex BOC clergy.

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
Mainstream EOs, OOs and EO schismatics (Ukrainians, Greeks, Russians etc. not the silly Western people) are IMO the only who might have any serious claim on validity.

I partially agree.  I would say that non-canonical EO should be defined as Old Calendarists, Russian Old Believers (priested), and schismatic national churches like the UOC-KP and the Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Thoyizoor, the independent Syrian church, poses a quandary because in their worship and liturgy, everything is correct, but bishops from the Mar Thoma Syrian Church, which is not Orthodox, but was set up by the British East India Company embezzling gold deposited with it by the Syriac Orthodox (who seem to get ripped off a lot), participate in their ordination.   So we have a group with correct worship and doctrine, but the participation of heterodox bishops in its episcopal ordinations.   Frustrating.   Their continued independence I have heard is driven in part by a desire to stay out of the bitter feud between the IOC and the Jacobites, although I dont know if that is the case.

I am on the fence as to whether or not there is legitimacy in the Assyrian Church and the Roman Catholic Church.  Those two churches, if any church without the word Orthodox in its name is legitimate, are likely to be legitimate.   There were times when relations between the Assyrian and Syriac Orthodox church were very good, for example, during the reign of the beloved Maphrian Mar Gregorios Bar Hebraeus.

There are also some small Anglo Catholic groups like the Anglican Province of Christ the King, which enumerate seven sacraments and a theology largely based on that of the non-juring Scottish Episcopalians, which themselves wanted to become a part of the Orthodox Church and inserted our epiclesis into their liturgy (which is why today you find a watered down epiclesis in the Episcopalian BCP; they ordained Bishop Seabury, from whom the ECUSA received "apostolic succession" under the condition that the American church use their communion service, which it did, with modifications).

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
You're right, Alpha60; until 2003 the PNCC was the only real Old Catholic church in America; the rest were fakes and/or in the lineage of former Old Catholic clergy.

Strictly speaking in Orthodoxy, anything outside however you define the church can't be "valid" in itself (which is why the Orthodox can and sometimes do receive converts by baptism) but understandably many Orthodox see the groups broken away but historically obviously part of the family, such as Greek Old Calendarists, Russian Old Believers, the Kyiv Patriarchate, and the Macedonian Orthodox Church, as somehow still Orthodox, even though they're out of communion with all the Orthodox churches, their clergy if any being real clergy, not like the Western vagante fakers. They'd be received back economically, their orders recognized. (ROCOR's status before reconciling with Moscow was similar.)

I think the allusion earlier to ROCOR is because ROCOR has been burned many times by flaky vagante clergy it trustingly took in and legitimized as Orthodox priests, not the only Eastern church jurisdiction to be hurt that way. Originally the Eastern churches were very trusting that way, hoping these men would start a mission for them in the West. Instead they often took Eastern orders to be a license to go freelance, which is neither Catholic nor Orthodox.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
... Instead they often took Eastern orders to be a license to go freelance, which is neither Catholic nor Orthodox.
Why would any one do this is beyond me, abstracting that the enemy might be behind it.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:44 PM »
... Instead they often took Eastern orders to be a license to go freelance, which is neither Catholic nor Orthodox.
Why would any one do this is beyond me, abstracting that the enemy might be behind it.

Because they were vain, wanting to be ministers for the wrong reasons (attention and authority/respect)? False religion is always about self. These characters used people including the nice Eastern bishops who ordained or received them.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
They appear to have some congregations and some legitimacy, but I would need to talk to them.  I have never spoken with them.  Often, there is some doctrinal excuse that will come up as to why a group like the WOCC isn't seeking reception into, say, the Antiochian Western Rite Vicarate, which it looks to me like it would be a good home for them.  Some of the vagante groups woth congregations like being independent for various reasons, but I will look into the WOCC and perhaps call them at a convenient time.

Awesome!  Please let me know what you find out!  :)

Not even "Old Catholics"?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »

Real Old Catholics under Utrecht or fake ones? Makes no difference strictly speaking in Orthodoxy; if it's outside the church it has no grace in itself; the same thing they think of Catholics and Protestants (though less strict Orthodox opinion mirrors Catholic recognition of orders).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:15:28 PM by The young fogey »

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

Real Old Catholics under Utrecht or fake ones? Makes no difference strictly speaking in Orthodoxy; if it's outside the church it has no grace in itself; the same thing they think of Catholics and Protestants (though less strict Orthodox opinion mirrors Catholic recognition of orders).

In Poland the Orthodox Church has very good relations with the Polish National Catholic Church; at least in one place in which an Orthodox church used to exist, but was destroyed, that's the Polish National Catholic Church that gives the temple for the Orthodox parish, if I'm not mistaken, it was case also for one parish in Warsaw, but now this parish has its own, quite big chapel. I know also that in one town there is no Orthodox church and there is 1 Orthodox faitful, so she attends the Polish National Catholic parish - priest from this parish has even portraits of metropolita Sava and abp George next to the cross in his office.

I know, that all this stuff is more an administration, but both Churches claim that in fact there are no theological differences between them; I've heard the problem that the PNCC can't join the Polish Orthodox Church is beacause that its hierarchy and most clergy have in fact escaped from Roman Catholic Church to get married, and they're still RCs in heart, despite officcialy accepting the theologi of PNCC, so, in fact, the Orthodox one. There was one trial to unify the Churches, before the second world war - the parishes that embraced Orthodoxy, maintaned the Latin rite, but were under omophorion of the Polish Orthodox Church. But now it's difficult to find any detailed date about it :(
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
Some PNCC priests in America are ex-Catholic priests from Poland who married. They also have generations-long priestly families like the Orthodox.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
Real Old Catholics under Utrecht or fake ones?

Explain the difference, please Fogey.  And which category would you place the WOCC in?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
Real Old Catholics are under the Archbishop of Utrecht, which used to be a Catholic archbishopric but left centuries ago, allegedly (according to some Catholics) siding with the ultra-strict Jansenist movement. This hooked up with German liberal Catholics who left in the 1870s because they didn't believe in papal infallibility. The fake ones are nothing to do with this church now; their clergy founders may have been Old Catholics at some point. The WOCC are fake ones.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
Real Old Catholics are under the Archbishop of Utrecht, which used to be a Catholic archbishopric but left centuries ago, allegedly (according to some Catholics) siding with the ultra-strict Jansenist movement. This hooked up with German liberal Catholics who left in the 1870s because they didn't believe in papal infallibility. The fake ones are nothing to do with this church now; their clergy founders may have been Old Catholics at some point. The WOCC are fake ones.

Where dis the fake ones originate?  And how can we know that the WOCC are descended from them?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
The fake ones originated with men the Old Catholics ordained priests or consecrated bishops but left them. The WOCC traces its lineage to exactly that, a bishop who left the Old Catholics.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
The fake ones originated with men the Old Catholics ordained priests or consecrated bishops but left them. The WOCC traces its lineage to exactly that, a bishop who left the Old Catholics.

What caused these dissidents to leave the Old Catholics?  And what makes them illegitimate compared to the people they left?  Do they differ in practice or belief, or is it simply a matter of schism begetting schism?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »
They often wanted to be in charge, running their own churches. No big differences in belief or practice at first. In the beginning they were all just Catholics without the Pope, even not recognizing Anglican orders. Now the real Old Catholics are just continental European Episcopalians (except for the relatively conservative Eastern European priests who just switched to get married) while the fakes are all over the map theologically and often are just people playing priest with no real ministry. Some offer their services for hire to Catholics who can't get married in the Catholic Church (divorced but no annulment).

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
They often wanted to be in charge, running their own churches. No big differences in belief or practice at first. In the beginning they were all just Catholics without the Pope, even not recognizing Anglican orders. Now the real Old Catholics are just continental European Episcopalians (except for the relatively conservative Eastern European priests who just switched to get married) while the fakes are all over the map theologically and often are just people playing priest with no real ministry. Some offer their services for hire to Catholics who can't get married in the Catholic Church (divorced but no annulment).

Thanks for the information!  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »
You're welcome. By the way, I slightly know an independent bishop, from a Southern evangelical background and who has passed through the Episcopal and Catholic churches as a layman (he tried a Catholic religious order). He's the presiding bishop of a small gay denomination, in charge of a scattering of small parishes in the United States. His master's degree in theology is from an Ivy League school. He knows Hebrew. He's not pretentious or delusional; he says he's not trying to compete with the big churches but runs a niche ministry for Christians the other churches don't serve for some reason. In practice locally this is some gay ex-Catholics. It's an interesting mix not unheard of among this kind of church: credally orthodox and liturgically diverse, embracing old-fashioned high liturgics like mine, like the Episcopalians often do and which Catholic liberals hate. But they have same-sex weddings.

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
Why does gay stuff keep coming up in this thread?  Is that a big thing in the vagante movement now?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
Why does gay stuff keep coming up in this thread?  Is that a big thing in the vagante movement now?

Yes.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
I voted for #3 because I do not have the time to deal with the requirements for #7.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

• Taxiarches
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 10:07:58 PM »

Yes.

This is news to me.  Are most modern vagante churches motivated by issues pertaining to gay "marriage", etc.?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
Yes but some think they're endangered as the Episcopal Church now does same-sex weddings so there's no demand for gay high churches anymore, except you still have people who want to be clergy but whom the big churches turned down, and people who want to be their own patriarchs.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:13:13 PM by The young fogey »

High-church libertarian
Blog

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »
you still have people who want to be clergy but whom the big churches turned down, and people who want to be their own patriarchs.

I thought these guys made up the majority of the vagante movement and the gay "marriage" guys were just a fringe of a fringe.  Do you have anything to support this contention?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
Interesting thread, I have only distaste about them for all their roleplay and spreading like fire through Brazilian territory (where does all that money come from?!). God can know for sure whether they have grace or not, but I feel it's nothing more than LARPing. The most successful here and one of the cleanest, the Slavic Belarusian Orthodox Church, had a parish near my old home. They'd ordain basically anyone, and their faux-patriarch's biography numbers a huge number of apostolic succession lines (canonical OO, schismatic EO, vagante and schlock) and describes his mother as the "Mother Queen of Drangiana and Princess of Bavian".

I think dialogue might be productive, though. We'd only know if we tried.

Exactly my opinion, but just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:39:23 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Online The young fogey

• Archon
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
you still have people who want to be clergy but whom the big churches turned down, and people who want to be their own patriarchs.

I thought these guys made up the majority of the vagante movement and the gay "marriage" guys were just a fringe of a fringe.  Do you have anything to support this contention?

No support (yet?). You may be right. The independent church that I know locally happens to be gay.

High-church libertarian
Blog