Author Topic: Lost Latin commentary on the Gospels rediscovered after 1,500 years  (Read 564 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
from here.

The earliest Latin commentary on the Gospels, lost for more than 1,500 years, has been rediscovered and made available in English for the first time. The extraordinary find, a work written by a bishop in northern Italy, Fortunatianus of Aquileia, dates back to the middle of the fourth century.

The biblical text of the manuscript is of particular significance, as it predates the standard Latin version known as the Vulgate and provides new evidence about the earliest form of the Gospels in Latin.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Lost Latin commentary on the Gospels rediscovered after 1,500 years
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:17:15 AM »
To be clear, from what I'm reading, the commentary has been in our possession for some time but has recently been reclassified by an expert.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
To be clear, from what I'm reading, the commentary has been in our possession for some time but has recently been reclassified by an expert.

Something to that effect.

Another report I read this afternoon mentioned that the manuscript has been known for a while, but only recently have hi-def digital scans revealed some of its more obscure/faded texts.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:54 AM »
How great! Would love to see a scholarly edition and translation soon. Says it's a hundred pages!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »
How great! Would love to see a scholarly edition and translation soon. Says it's a hundred pages!
118 pages
https://www.degruyter.com/viewbooktoc/product/469498
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
118 pages
Well, that was quick... Good to know.  :)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
118 pages

Wow! Free already?

Are there other good books in there?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
118 pages

Thank you!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »
This will be helpful in reconstructing bits of the vetus Latina edition of the Scriptures which predated Jerome's Vulgate.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Will it though? People like St. Augustine complained about how problematic it was that there were so many and so varied Latin translations by the end of the 4th century. Isn't this a situation similar to the Septuagint, where people speak as though there were one translation/edition (for convenience), but in actuality there were dozens or hundreds of versions, with varying degrees of differences between them?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
It's a common mistake that St. Jerome's work was identical to the Vulgate. In truth, the Vatican and various councils altered the text over centuries to produce the "one true" text we think of today.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »

Something to that effect.

Another report I read this afternoon mentioned that the manuscript has been known for a while, but only recently have hi-def digital scans revealed some of its more obscure/faded texts.

One of us ought to read this article, to determine whether or not it answers any of these questions.
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.

"Learn meditation." - Anonymous

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »
It's a common mistake that St. Jerome's work was identical to the Vulgate. In truth, the Vatican and various councils altered the text over centuries to produce the "one true" text we think of today.
The Council of Trent proclaimed the Vulgata translation of the time as infallible in matters of faith and morals.  Then it was revised in 1979 as the Nova Vulgata, which arguably changed the meaning of some texts of the Old Testament.  The only question is which translation is more infallible, whose corollary is which one is less fallible.  :)

PS: regardless, the Nova Vulgata is my last resort to understand most obscure passages; undoubtedly, it's the best translation in the West, on par with the Septuagint.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:33:26 PM by Sharbel »
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 12:06:20 AM »

There are ancient manuscripts of the Vulgate to which one can refer, which lack, for example, the Comma Johanneum.

So, for the non Latin speaker, they should not think that the Challoner Douay Rheims is translated from the manuscripts of St. Jerome, but, aside from the comments, which reflect Tridentine dogma, I think its very useful from an Orthodox perspective as it includes most of the "Deuterocanon" and it translates from St. Jerome's translation of the Greek Psalter, so the Psalms align with our Stasis and Kathisma boundaries and read correctly, e.g. Ps 95:5 Vulgate reads "The gods of the gentiles are devils," which matches the LXX "The gods of the gentiles are demons" and contradicts the Masoreric Psalm 96:5 "The gods of the gentiles are idols."  Major semantic difference.

I endorse the Challoner Douay Rheims, aside from the commentary, as a backup Bible for an Anglophone Orthodox who can read Jacobean English but lacks acccess to an Orthodox Study Bible.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »

I endorse the Challoner Douay Rheims, aside from the commentary, as a backup Bible for an Anglophone Orthodox who can read Jacobean English but lacks acccess to an Orthodox Study Bible.

I concur.  I have always liked the English style of the Douay-Rheims.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.