Author Topic: Moving from hate to love with God’s grace  (Read 268 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Moving from hate to love with God’s grace
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »
"In the course of one’s life, there are seminal moments that humble us and, in some cases, even bring shame. For the past several decades, I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve as a Catholic priest. Originally ordained for the Diocese of Reno-Las Vegas, I transferred to my home area here in the Diocese of Arlington.

What most people do not know about me is that as an impressionable young man, I was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
As a young adult I was Catholic, but in no way practicing my faith. The irony that I left an anti-Catholic hate group to rejoin the Catholic Church is not lost on me. It is a reminder of the radical transformation possible through Jesus Christ in his mercy.
Diocesan Note:

Father William Aitcheson’s article was written with the intention of telling his story of transformation. He voluntarily asked to temporarily step away from public ministry, for the well being of the Church and parish community, and the request was approved
."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:22:25 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Re: Moving from hate to love with God’s grace
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
"(RNS) — It was not images from the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., that spurred a Virginia priest to come forward this month and confess he was a Ku Klux Klan member charged in several cross-burnings in Maryland and other offenses 40 years ago.

Rather, it was a journalist who had contacted the Diocese of Arlington and said she learned that the Rev. William Aitcheson’s legal name matched that of a man arrested in the 1970s.

Diocesan officials then confronted the priest."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:18:16 PM »
I hope he returns to public ministry after paying the long-overdue court restitution.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:21:05 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
It was a Catholic priest who came to my great grandmother's home and wrenched her from her home at 8 years of age.

He put her in Indian school where children were horribly abused and worked instead of educated.

They could only see their parents one day a year, in the dead of winter when it was so difficult to travel.

Many years they couldn't visit. 

She worked in their printing company from 8 years old until they released her at 18 years of age.

All her family had been faithful Catholics, every child baptized within days of birth and documented.

They built houses for priests in the frontier, they let the priests into their homes and fed them.

Then the priests betrayed them all. 

Her only sin was being Metis.

She didn't much care for the Catholic church after that, neither has anyone else in the family.

They say about my Great Uncle Joe that he survived both Fr. Totten Indian School and the Bataan Death March--equivalent forms of torture as so many children died at school.

She was a very tough woman after all that.  The grandkids were all terrified of her and thought she was a witch.

They didn't understand how her very soul had been crushed by that Catholic priest.

But she was a remarkable woman--one who decided she wanted a garage and just went out and built one.  That kind of woman. 

So good for him that he feels better about himself and all that, but his church is death to many.

Now my Native cousins get emails from Catholics explaining how the Catholics never harmed Native people, were always good to them and helped them.

Lies, lies and more lies.

My cousin just laughs at them and stays far away from them.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb