Author Topic: Obscure Orthodox Saints  (Read 667 times)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
Obscure Orthodox Saints
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
I would be interested in what saints would be considered obscure in the OC. St. Boethius would seem to be one, who else?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: Obscure Orthodox Saints
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
 I'd imagine that there are many who are only known to God.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
I would be interested in what saints would be considered obscure in the OC.

How are you defining obscure? 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:10:44 PM »
Maybe there are those with a cult but not on a jurisdiction's calendar?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »

I'll try to define it as: you want to commision an icon of said saint but there's very little, if any, icons of them. The challenge for an iconographer would be they have no references in how to begin painting one and it might involve some careful research.

Maybe you find that definition dubious, I dunno.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:22:07 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
My daughter's Saint, St. Sarah, seems unpopular.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »

I'll try to define it as: you want to commision an icon of said saint but there's very little, if any, icons of them. The challenge for an iconographer would be they have no references in how to begin painting one and it might involve some careful research.

Maybe you find that definition dubious, I dunno.

Not dubious, just not how I would've defined it.  But by my definition, about half the apostles would be "obscure", so maybe yours is better.  :P

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:47:05 PM »

Which Sarah?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Not dubious, just not how I would've defined it.  But by my definition, about half the apostles would be "obscure", so maybe yours is better.  :P
Thaddeus? Who's he?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »

Which Sarah?

The wife of St. Abraham. May just be a Greek thing, but nobody seemed to know her day or even whether she's a commemorated saint. I reckoned from Hebrews 11 she has to be.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
Thaddeus? Who's he?

There are two apostles with that name. Thaddeus of the Seventy, associated with the Mandylion, and Jude Thaddeus, one of the Twelve, who wrote the epistle bearing his name. 
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »
Saint Ronald of the Thebaid is a good one, though some deny he even existed.

I bet at least a few people in works like On Lives of Illustrious Men by Jerome or even the Sayings of the Desert Fathers are obscure according to your definition (which isn't to say it's a bad one).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:13:03 PM by Asteriktos »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »

Which Sarah?

The wife of St. Abraham. May just be a Greek thing, but nobody seemed to know her day or even whether she's a commemorated saint. I reckoned from Hebrews 11 she has to be.

She is indeed commemorated by name, on the Sunday of the Forefathers prior to the Nativity of the Lord.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 12:25:16 AM »
Two times have I wished for an icon I couldn't find the slightest example of as far as I can remember: Ss. Boethius (which I now doubt to be on any Orthodox menaion) and Joseph of Panephysis ("if you will, you can become all flame").
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:26:08 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »
I've yet to find an icon of Mar Ahatullah, the Syriac Orthodox bishop sent to India on the request of the local church, who was martyred and thrown into the sea by Jesuits.  Fr. Shara of St. Ephrems assured me he is considered a saint, so perhaps Mor Ephrem might know of such an icon, given its relevance to that church.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 01:45:39 AM »
My Patron is fairly obscure at least around here. Usually when I mention St. Januarius the following is usually something like "Who?" Visiting Naples was nice also in that sense that he's pictures were all over the place.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 04:21:33 AM »
I've yet to find an icon of Mar Ahatullah, the Syriac Orthodox bishop sent to India on the request of the local church, who was martyred and thrown into the sea by Jesuits. 

Love the name and the story. A good proposition for my son's name, if I had one day.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »
If we keep in mind that the cultus of the majority of saints, beyond the big superstars, is fairly local, who can be considered obscure depends largely on who you ask. Most Russian saints, say, are of the kind that the average Greek parishioner has never heard of. Practically all saints of the British Isles are automatically filed under 'Catholic' in the layperson's mind, which makes iconography rather challenging (see the anachronism of St Osyth's icon). Generally, the more recent the saint, the more obscure; New Martyrs are often little more than a name.

In Greece, every municipality has its own patron saint, whose feast day is a local public holiday. That saint is often very local: in my home town, St George the New Martyr of Ioannina is honoured with much solemnity, and a few miles beyond county borders, only church historians have even heard of him. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
In Greece, every municipality has its own patron saint, whose feast day is a local public holiday. That saint is often very local: in my home town, St George the New Martyr of Ioannina is honoured with much solemnity, and a few miles beyond county borders, only church historians have even heard of him. ;D

Hmmm, really? Frankfurt (Germany) has a chapel dedicated to him, actually. Since I lived there for some years (and maybe also since I am a scholar of Islam by profession), I always thought of him as a major Greek saint.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »

Hmmm, really? Frankfurt (Germany) has a chapel dedicated to him, actually. Since I lived there for some years (and maybe also since I am a scholar of Islam by profession), I always thought of him as a major Greek saint.

One of our local churches in Athens (we have five within short walking distance) includes him in its murals, but just the one. He may be bigger in places with Ioannite communities.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
Saint Golinduc of Persia? There's a slew of martyrs of whom nothing is known but their names and the years they died.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
This thread is wonderful.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Saint Golinduc of Persia? There's a slew of martyrs of whom nothing is known but their names and the years they died.

Every once in a while you hear in the Synaxarion some reference to "On this day, we commemorate a mother and her child who were martyred by the sword in the days of Decius", and I wonder that they even got remembered at all.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
My Patron is fairly obscure at least around here. Usually when I mention St. Januarius the following is usually something like "Who?" Visiting Naples was nice also in that sense that he's pictures were all over the place.

That is interesting that you St. Januarius is your Patron Saint.  He is lesser known in Orthodoxy in general than he is with Roman Catholics.  I would think it is somewhat a privilege to have a Patron very few share.  It is unique.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »
Two times have I wished for an icon I couldn't find the slightest example of as far as I can remember: Ss. Boethius (which I now doubt to be on any Orthodox menaion) and Joseph of Panephysis ("if you will, you can become all flame").
I haven't ever found decent icons of Ss. Proterius of Alexandria and Theodosius the Great. Like Boethius, they're not obscure historical figures, but let's say their veneration is?

There's a huge stadium on his hommage near my university.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:08:37 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

That is interesting that you St. Januarius is your Patron Saint.

The Finnish church have a sort of list of equivalent Saint names for civilian names. No idea how it was compiled but AFAIK converts generally pick their Patron Saints through that list. My civilian name fell for St. Januarius. Sounded a bit bureuecratic at first but I've gotten rather fond of him over the years. May his prayers be with us all.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
Every once in a while you hear in the Synaxarion some reference to "On this day, we commemorate a mother and her child who were martyred by the sword in the days of Decius", and I wonder that they even got remembered at all.

I love those days when that happens.  My own saint did nothing except live a quiet life as a single mother and in faithfulness raise two sons (who grew up to be the Wonder-Working Saints and Unmercenary Physicians Cosmas and Damian).  I have yet to find an icon of St. Theodota.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 09:10:18 PM »
The icon to importance ratio of St. Justin the Martyr/Philosopher seems rather low.  ::)
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:03 AM »
The icon to importance ratio of St. Justin the Martyr/Philosopher seems rather low.  ::)

Judging by that criteria only important saints were the Mother of God and St. Nicholas. :P

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 04:54:05 AM »

Judging by that criteria only important saints were the Mother of God and St. Nicholas. :P

The icons of the last tsar and his family, who have been glorified by both the ROCOR and the MP, have become quite widespread in churches of these two jurisdictions. Does that make them important saints?