Author Topic: "If the world is against truth, then I am against the world" (St. Athanasius)  (Read 398 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I've seen this quote so many times in reputable sources I see no reason to believe it's not true, but now I need its primary source (that is, where he wrote it, or where it was first attributed to him) for formality and can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:25:52 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Not sure. I did a search for it when you originally posted it, and just now again, and haven't been able to find even a clue as to the original source, or even an attribution to an older source quoting it. 

I've come across similar quotes from different people over the years, though many of those I'm not sure of the exact reference point either, such as the anecdote of the Emperor asking Pope Liberius about St. Athanasius in the words: "How large a portion of the earth are you that you take sides alone with an impious man and disturb the peace of the earth and all the universe?" and the Pope replying "Even if I am alone, the word of faith is not weakened for that." (Ronald H. Bainton, Early Christianity, p. 70)

Please post the exact reference if you happen upon it for the St. Athanasius 'quote.'