Author Topic: Assembly of Canonical Bishops statement re:Charlottesville  (Read 405 times)

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Assembly of Canonical Bishops statement re:Charlottesville
« on: August 19, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/news/2017/response-to-racist-violence-charlottesville-va

Friday, August 18, 2017

The Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America
Response to Racist Violence in Charlottesville, VA

The Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America stands with all people of good will in condemning the hateful violence and lamenting the loss of life that resulted from the shameful efforts to promote racial bigotry and white supremacist ideology in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The Orthodox Church emphatically declares that it does not promote, protect or sanction participation in such reprehensible acts of hatred, racism, and discrimination, and proclaims that such beliefs and behaviors have no place in any community based in respect for the law and faith in a loving God.

The essence of the Christian Gospel and the spirit of the Orthodox Tradition are entirely and self-evidently incompatible with ideologies that declare the superiority of any race over another. Our God shows no partiality or favoritism (Deuteronomy 10:17, Romans 2:11). Our Lord Jesus Christ broke down the dividing wall of hostility that had separated God from humans and humans from each other (Ephesians 2:14). In Christ Jesus, the Church proclaims, there can be neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male or female, but all are one (Galatians 3:28). Furthermore, we call on one another to have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather to expose them (Ephesians 5:11). And what is darkness if not hatred? The one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness (1 John 2:11)!

Furthermore, in 1872, Hierarchs from around the world assembled in Constantinople and denounced all forms of xenophobia and chauvinism (phyletism). They agreed that the promotion of racial or national supremacy and ethnic bias or dissension in the Church of Christ is to be censured as contrary to the sacred teachings of the Christian Gospel and the holy canons of the Church. It is formally condemned as heresy, the strongest category of false teaching.

Finally, such actions as we have witnessed in recent days, by self-proclaimed white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and various racists and fascists, betray the core human values of love and solidarity. In this, we pray wholeheartedly for the families of those who lost their lives or suffered in these tragic events. In like manner, we cannot condone any form of revenge or retaliation by any group or individual. Therefore, we fervently appeal to every person of good will, and especially the leaders of our great nation, to consider and adopt ways of reconciling differences in order to rise above any and all discrimination in our history, our present, and our future.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Assembly of Canonical Bishops statement re:Charlottesville
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Glory to God.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »
The comments on the FB thread that developed under this statement once the bishops pushed it on social media were disheartening, to say the least.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »
The comments on the FB thread that developed under this statement once the bishops pushed it on social media were disheartening, to say the least.

Orthodox that are active in Facebook Page comments seem like a strange group. I had to un-like several Orthodox Pages for this reason. Actually almost seems like a brigade that goes around.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:09 AM »

Orthodox that are active in Facebook Page comments seem like a strange group. I had to un-like several Orthodox Pages for this reason. Actually almost seems like a brigade that goes around.

Orthodoxy on FB is more vile even than OCNet.  Think about that. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:17:29 AM »

I saw more than one person questioning what they'd signed on for -- years after the fact -- after the supposed Orthodox comments about Charlottesville.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 12:19:53 AM »

I saw more than one person questioning what they'd signed on for -- years after the fact -- after the supposed Orthodox comments about Charlottesville.

Well I empathize with their hysteria but it betrays a basic lack of perspective on the internet and how it works.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 12:21:03 AM »

OC.net is full of great stuff. The farther back you go the better it gets. OC.net is the best there is.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »
Glory to God.

Amen!

Now that's saying something!  Yeesh!

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 04:47:50 AM »

Let's face it, people frequently identify with religions and religious communities (or elements within them) that resonate with their personal principles. No doubt some people misconstrued traditional teachings of the Church with all sorts of pet causes. Their fidelity to teachings wanes when the teachings conflict with their favorite beliefs. The result is that we've got some stinkers in our fold. But in all humility, I am the first among stinkers.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
Wow, I hadn't read the comments on the ACOB page. I recant all of my quibbles regarding this stafement. It clearly hits the target and has all the right people exposing themselves for what they are.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum