Author Topic: The Virgin of Trapani: tolerance and tradition go cheek by jowl in Tunis  (Read 602 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
About 150 people are crowded into the 19th-century church of Saint Augustin and Saint Fidèle in the Tunis suburb of La Goulette. More are gathered outside in the summer heat, behind the iron railings lining the narrow streets of Little Sicily, the neighbourhood where the fishing town’s Italian migrants once settled and established themselves.

The crowds have come to see the first procession of the Assumption to be staged in the city since the tradition died out in the early 60s. In its heyday, the flower-decked statue of the Virgin of Trapani would be carried through the packed streets of La Goulette to the harbour where, alongside the area’s Muslim and Jewish population, priests would bless the fishing boats and their crews.

In a region often defined by its sectarianism, Tunisia, despite its social tensions, remains a beacon of religious tolerance.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/aug/16/virgin-of-trapani-tolerance-tradition-tunis-procession-of-assumption
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Very nice. :)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East

In a region often defined by its sectarianism, Tunisia, despite its social tensions, remains a beacon of religious tolerance.

I hate to be a negative nelly, but it's also frequently cited that more Tunisians have joined ISIS than anyone else. In other words, the not-so-tolerant Tunisians are busy elsewhere. May the tolerant Tunisians carry the day!
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA

I hate to be a negative nelly, but it's also frequently cited that more Tunisians have joined ISIS than anyone else. In other words, the not-so-tolerant Tunisians are busy elsewhere. May the tolerant Tunisians carry the day!

Can't be that frequently cited. Do you have an example?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline youssef

• Elder
There is so many tunisian in the islamic state and al nusra, about 8000.
But now tunis is one of the best arabic country in freedom and the feminism movement is so much powerful. But this can change dramatically.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon

I haven't come across the statistics but I have noticed, over the past few years, that many of the news-noteworthy ISIS terrorists are Tunisian.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
It's probably because the present Tunisian government is intolerant of them and they can really function inside Tunisia as easily as another nation who have no problem with the presence of Islamists.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline youssef

• Elder
It's probably because the present Tunisian government is intolerant of them and they can really function inside Tunisia as easily as another nation who have no problem with the presence of Islamists.

I don't think that the big number of tunisian in the islamic state or al nusra reflect really how the society in tunis is. At the end there is so many reason to find yourself fighting in this group. But the real danger for tunis is the cool islam movement who is spreading between the youth who have no real basic. So imagine someone in 20 who is defend a cool islam version where they will be after 15 years.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East

Type in "Tunisian Isis" into an internet search engine. It's frequently cited.

Edited to add: Seriously, the figures are everywhere. Aside from the heaps of newspaper articles on it, here's a CSIS report for you, as well as a Foreign Policy story
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:32:29 PM by Cognomen »
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch

I haven't come across the statistics but I have noticed, over the past few years, that many of the news-noteworthy ISIS terrorists are Tunisian.

I can't believe it. I visited almost all Tunisia in 2009, it was so secular country... It was hard to hear azan from mosques, hard to see people going to mosques and praying somewhere in the street (and I saw it in 2008 in Egypt), there were Saturday and Sunday (no Thursday and Friday or Friday and Saturday) as weekend, there was no problem to buy some Tunisian alcohols (mainly rose wine), many women uncovered and working e.g in shops...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: The Virgin of Trapani: tolerance and tradition go cheek by jowl in Tunis
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
Well, a lot of ISIS recruits came from Belgium too. It doesn't necessarily say much about the national character at large.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: The Virgin of Trapani: tolerance and tradition go cheek by jowl in Tunis
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »
Well, a lot of ISIS recruits came from Belgium too. It doesn't necessarily say much about the national character at large.
Belgium or Molenbeek?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth