Author Topic: Why are people who've never set foot in church before...  (Read 700 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Why are people who've never set foot in church before...
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
...suddenly showing up for choral evensong?

Thousands of people are turning out to hear free choral music around Britain, many for the first time.

The ancient church music has been around for centuries – but is getting a new audience due to a new website set up to enable people to find choral evensong services at cathedrals, colleges and churches anywhere in Britain and Ireland.

The website is now receiving about 8,500 unique visitors a month, and 11,500 visits a month, and that number is rising. There are now 505 churches, chapels and cathedrals with their own pages on the website, and the number keeps growing.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/why.are.thousands.of.people.whove.never.set.foot.in.church.before.suddenly.showing.up.for.choral.evensong/112048.htm

Time to start inviting people to Vespers!
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
Re: Why are people who've never set foot in church before...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
In my brief visits to England, I noticed that Anglican churches proudly announced their concerts and talks, but never mentioned Christ.  Surely, it's my merely anecdotal impression.  Still, making churches houses of free concerts doesn't seem to me to be enough to introduce someone to Christ.

But, by all means, let's invite people to Vespers regardless!
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »
One of the bishops quoted suggested serving wine after each Evensong service. Now the Anglicans are becoming Episcopalians.  ;)
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
Still, making churches houses of free concerts doesn't seem to me to be enough to introduce someone to Christ.

I don't know how many Orthodox converts had their first contact through Byzantine music, but I suspect 'a lot' would be a valid guesstimate. :)

Choral evensong takes place, with or without the promotion; the BBC has been broadcasting live from somewhere in the country every Wednesday and Sunday for decades. It is a full service, with readings as well as singing (so plenty of introduction to Christ), and if it seems tame to us, I bet it sounds downright exotic to people whose idea/experience of worship is limited to endless sermons.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Still, making churches houses of free concerts doesn't seem to me to be enough to introduce someone to Christ.

I don't know how many Orthodox converts had their first contact through Byzantine music, but I suspect 'a lot' would be a valid guesstimate. :)

My case was kind of that. But not through open doors at any kind of church.

A Lebanese guy who was trying to start a mission in the university town I lived in at the time was a regular patron in the coffee shop where I worked. As part of that, he decided to teach himself chant. So he'd talk about Orthodoxy, and sometimes he'd talk about/demonstrate chant.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
It's interesting how often traditional services like Anglican Evensong or Orthodox Vespers or Catholic Vespers have a way of bringing people into a church.  It may not keep them there, but neither is purging all the tradition in favor of modern and contemporary expressions which seem to do just the opposite.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
I saw something similar happening in the US with Sacred Harp, lots of people gathering to sing the sacred harp hymnal without being part of any protestant traditional church, even atheists, buddhists and a catholic nun attending the meetings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
^^^^saved and will be sharing

;D
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »
^^^^saved and will be sharing

;D

+1

All the rep buttons. All of them.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
...suddenly showing up for choral evensong?

Thousands of people are turning out to hear free choral music around Britain, many for the first time.
The price is right. 8)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »

Byzantine chant is really nice, but isn't it more of an acquired taste?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »

Isn't some kind of contact necessary for acquisition?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »

With you I never know whether I fail at communication or whether you're just snarky.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:42:12 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:00:22 AM »

With you I never know whether I fail at communication or whether you're just snarky.

Ferengi rules of acquisition: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ferengi_Rules_of_Acquisition

Just kidding. Hey, remember though: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:28:43 AM by mcarmichael »
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus