Author Topic: The meaning of Matthew 24:19 from an Orthodox POV?  (Read 201 times)

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD/EP of Constantinople
The meaning of Matthew 24:19 from an Orthodox POV?
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:16:51 PM »
During my daily gospel reading, I came across the verse that seemed to curse babies. However, I know and just read the context of the gospel. There will be heavy tribulations among Christians and they must be prepared and strong in faith. However, I still ponder on Matthew 24:19, "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!" Now Atheists who love to attack, mock, and blaspheme Christianity and those few Protestant wackos, like extreme Calvinists, would literally view this as babies and mothers who are nursing being doomed for judgement and wrath, which I'm totally sure it's NOT what the passage meant. How do the Orthodox view this verse and the context of the passage? What does that exactly mean?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:20:37 PM by TaiKamiya720 »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: The meaning of Matthew 24:19 from an Orthodox POV?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
Is there a reason you didn't bother to read even the paragraph?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
I don't have an answer, but interestingly, St. Chrysostom seems to have skipped over some of that?

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf110.toc.html
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
Since the OP isn't explaining himself, I'll correct what he's done by quoting the actual paragraph from our Lord's prophecy:

"Alas, in those days, for the woman with a child in her womb or at her breast! Pray that you may not have to flee in winter or on the sabbath day. For there will be such suffering then as there has never been since the world began, and will not be again. If those days had not been shortened no living thing would have escaped. But they shall be shortened, for the sakes of those who are chosen."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy