OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoc in Hospital  (Read 2743 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« on: September 23, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »

Please pray for our brother Bob, who is now in the hospital recovering from a heart attack yesterday.  You know him better as:  Orthodoc.   Bob had a total clogged artery and a heart aneurysm, both of which have been cleared but he is still in ICU because he will need an angioplasty on another clogged artery sometime Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. He is in good spirits and is alert but will have to stay in the hospital at least until the end of the month.

Just thought you all would like to know,

JoeS
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »

Lord, have mercy!   Shocked

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »

Kyrie eleison!

Thanks for letting us all know about this. Please keep us updated.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 09:27:59 PM »

Lord have mercy on Orthodoc.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:10:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

While I worked at the SVS bookstore over the summer, I had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone twice regarding orders.  I pray for his speedy recovery. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 11:31:21 PM »

prayers indeed...Lord have mercy!

hmmmm...
orth_christian2000

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in Canada

He must increase, I must decrease...

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 03:25:49 AM »

Prayers and sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery... don't know Orthodoc personally, or on the board very wll, seeing how I'm a more "green" or recent addition.  The Good Physician of body and soul be with him.
Kyrie Eleison

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 04:06:16 AM »

Holy Theotokos, look with love on your son, Bob, our brother, and intercede for him before the Throne of God. Lord Jesus, allow the Holy and Unmercenary Physicians Cosmas and Damien to guide Bob's doctors in diagnosing and treating him, that the care afforded him be efficacious. May Bob be restored to the fullness of health and may God grant him many years.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:33:49 AM »

Prayers for Bob's speedy recovery. Tell him we are praying for him. I think that he will like that.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 11:49:08 PM »

Prayers for healing and the comforting of brother Bob.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 05:09:12 AM »

Prayers for the quick recovery and long life of Bob.

May the Holy Theotokos keep him in her prayers!

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
djrak

"Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »

prayers for Bob and his family

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 09:04:21 AM »

Many prayers for my old friend and sometimes sparring partner.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Stavro
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »

Sincere prayers for the recovery of Bob. May the Theotokos with the saints intercede for him.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 02:13:13 PM »

Please pray for our brother Bob, who is now in the hospital recovering from a heart attack yesterday.  You know him better as:  Orthodoc.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Bob had a total clogged artery and a heart aneurysm, both of which have been cleared but he is still in ICU because he will need an angioplasty on another clogged artery sometime Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. He is in good spirits and is alert but will have to stay in the hospital at least until the end of the month.

Just thought you all would like to know,

JoeS

Bob, has had his second procedure, that of unclogging a 90% closed artery.  He is feeling much better after that artery was opened.  He has his own room now and is expected to return home Mon. or Tues. this coming week.

He is forever thankful for all your love and prayers that you have showered on him.  My hope is that Bob is able to manage himself at home.  He will be having visits from a nurse and a house cleaner on a regular basis, at least for a while anyway. 

Thanks for all your prayers and concern.

JoeS
SaintShenouti

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 05:02:15 PM »

Prayers for recovery and health. EpChoeice nai nan.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »

Prayers for a continued recovery...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 06:14:25 PM »

For continued improvedment

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2005, 12:18:50 AM »

Am Praying as well, please keep us updated on his recovery.  Praying that he will be able to recover well enough that he will be able to return home and also to not have any more heart troubles. 

Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 07:08:56 AM »

May he see a full recovery.  Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 08:08:35 AM »

May he see a full recovery.ÂÂ  Lord, have mercy.

Orthodox is out of the hospital and is finally home resting up.  Here is an email I received from him this past week:

Frank & all:

To answer your questions.

I had what is called a 'slow progressive heart attack'.

I had a total blockage in my right artery into th heart and a partial bockage (95%) in theleft artery into the heart.  They put stints in both.  Also had a bloodclotfloating around in my heart which they had to flush out.

Spent two weeks in Jeanes Hospital.  Came home yesterday (Monday) afternoon.

Thanks for all your calls and cards.

Talk to you later!

Bob

Needless to say he is very exhausted and he just wants to relax.

JoeS
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »

thankyou for the update Joe, that is very understandable that he just wants to relax...I hope that he'll take it easy for a few days before he decides to go online again and stuff..he needs the rest...just glad that he's home and feeling better now!

Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »

Lord, have mercy!  Sounded serious.  Glad he's home.

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 11:51:23 PM »

Once again I would like to thank you all for your prayers and best wishes.  They helped in bringing me back home.  I will be mostly lurking since I tire very easily.  It's 11:45 PM and I'm wide awake but too tired to type about my ordeal  (I'm a two finger typist).  So I'm just going to copy and paste my response in the Catholic Answers site to those who also prayed and sent their best).  If it doesn't make sense then go to the website and read the folder entitled 'Orthodoc'.  It's good to be home and wonderful to be alive!  God has been good to me.  And I can't wait to be back in church.

======

Matthew:

Thanks for a much needed laugh! I would probably have given them to the wonderful Roman Catholic nun who came in to meet two of my room mates. When she asked both of them if they were Catholic they both said yes but haven't been inside a Roman Catholic church in years and had no intention of doing so. I really felt sorry for her.

Though we have many within the Orthodox Catholic Church with the same history, I don't think they would have been as rude to her as her own. I felt sorry for her. She just replied - "If you need anything contact me." And then she left.

Too many here see me as violently anti papal Catholic. This comes from my defense of Holy Orthodoxy where I tell it like it is (or I see it). I'm not one to mince words.

Not too many see the other side of me. Or, with the exception of StMark, who is also a member of the same parish I go to, know that one of my best friends was a Roman Catholic (and proud of that title) nun who was also a Mother Superior. Her order ran an outreach for troubled teenage girls until the Cardinal shut it down and took the land off them & sold it.

In fact, we brought the property our Church & rectory from her order. From the time the Church was built (30 years ago) Sister Holy Spirit hardly ever missed Wednesday night Akfist followed by Bible Study, Saturday night Vespers, and every Sunday she would come in to pick up the Church bulletin and venerate the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God in our Chapel on her way to Mass. When she got sick she was anointed with the Holy Oil from the skull of St Panteleimon which brought her into remission for a year. It was in her medical records that she was anointed by an Orthodox Catholic priest. In fact, both StMark & I sang the responses during the anointing service.

When she died I had a 40th day Memorial service for her and invited her entire Order of nuns. I had it catered and presented the surviving nuns with a copy of the Vladimir Icon she loved so much for their Chapel.

With the help of StMark we had a program made up explaining the entire service and the meaning of the boiled wheat (Koliva (Greek), Gruel (Albanian), or Kutya (Russian). A copy of which was sent to the Mother House in Rome at their request.

That's the other side of me. I'm not anti papal Catholic. just fiercely & devoutly Orthodox Catholic. And defend this wonderful faith I love so much in the only way I know. And that's without mincing words. Ican't wait to get back to Church.

I had two blocked arteries (the right was totally blocked and the left was 95% blocked) and a blood clot floating in my heart when they went in at the ER. In the first procedure I had a stent put in the right artery & the blood clot removed. In the second procedure (five days later) I had a stent put in the left artery.

Between both procedures I was anointed with the Holy Myrrh from the skull of St Panteleimon (which our parish is fortunate to have) and the Holy Myrrh currently streaming from the Icon of St Anne here in Philly.

And I thank God from the bottom of my heart for being here.

Irish melkite thank you for your kind words and you have my permissiom to post this in the Byzantine (Catholic) Forum if you deem it necessary. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Thank you for your prayers and concern.

Orthodoc

P.S. Try telling an old Russian Orthodox priest from the 'old country' that ROBERT is a saints name! The day my mother took me to be baptised Robert another lady wanted her son baptised Douglas Lindsay! My mother loved telling the story that the priest looked at the lady, shook his head, and said in his broken English -"so ven you vant him to come vat you gonna say? Here doggie, here doggie?" The next Sunday the sermon was about people naming their kids after dogs!

My Christian name, and the name I take Communion under is Gregory (my fathers name & baptismal name).

========

Thanks once again.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 12:10:04 PM »

Bob,

Good to hear you are feeling better.  When I prayed for you at Liturgy I did use Robert but I am sure God knew who I meant. Wink  May God grant you peace, health and happiness for many many years!

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 02:30:42 AM »

It's 2:00 A.M. here in Philadelphia and I'm wide awake.ÂÂ  The phone rang at 1:00 A.M.ÂÂ  It was from Atanas, who is like my son since he showed up at our Church over ten years ago lonely and in this country going to, and then graduating fromÂÂ ORU on a scholarship.ÂÂ  He was very lonely and homesick and it was then I offered to be his family and father here in America.ÂÂ He is from Bulgaria. ÂÂ AndÂÂ we've been that way ever since.ÂÂ  A real father & son couldn't be closer.

He left for Bulgaria on Wednesday to visit his mother and brother for ten days.

ÂÂ

He was calling me from the center of St Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sophia,ÂÂ BulgariaÂÂ where he and his mother were waiting for the priest to Vest because they were having a Molieben (service for my health & welfare) right in the center of this great Orthodox Catholic Cathedral (largest Orthodox Cathederal in Europe) that I have had a special love for ever since I saw pictures of it in 'National Geographic' when I was about nine years old.ÂÂ  And here they wereÂÂ standing in the middle of the Cathedral waitingÂÂ to have a prayer service for me!ÂÂ  

ÂÂ

I talked with his mother who is a devout OrthodoxÂÂ  and she has had the Monks in the Rila Monastery praying for me all week!ÂÂ  I'm so overwhelmed by this jesture I just had to share it.ÂÂ  I don't think any other act of love and kindnest for me has meant so much.ÂÂ  It's just one of the many reasons I love this faith God has given me!

WOW!

Once again, thank you one and all for your prayers and candles!

Orthodoc

ÂÂ

ÂÂ

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 12:54:36 AM »

Bob,

First of all...glad to hear from you "in person"!  Second of all...

It was from Atanas, who is like my son since he showed up at our Church over ten years ago lonely and in this country going to, and then graduating from ORU on a scholarship.ÂÂ

Ah!  A fellow ORU Orthodox!  Good to hear of others like us.  Glad you're in such good contact with him, and that he's in such good contact with the Faith.

Once again, glad you're doing so well.  Glory to Jesus Christ!

Pedro

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: