Author Topic: 'Greek pope': Archbishop Demetrios leads service, urges love in face of hate  (Read 374 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
The roughly 90-minute divine liturgy service at Kimisis Greek Orthodox Church is already steeped in tradition, with communion and song and the burning of incense, but there was one extra step Sunday morning.

Archbishop Demetrios was leading the service, and that meant the inclusion of a ceremony with candles to welcome the hierarch of the church. The 89-year-old descendant of the apostle Andrew, referred to as the “Greek Pope” by some parishioners, held up three candles in his right hand and two candles in his left — three for the “holy trinity,” and two to represent God as God and man.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/13/greek-pope-archbishop-demetrios/563513001/

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
The roughly 90-minute divine liturgy service at Kimisis Greek Orthodox Church is already steeped in tradition, with communion and song and the burning of incense, but there was one extra step Sunday morning.

Archbishop Demetrios was leading the service, and that meant the inclusion of a ceremony with candles to welcome the hierarch of the church. The 89-year-old descendant of the apostle Andrew, referred to as the “Greek Pope” by some parishioners, held up three candles in his right hand and two candles in his left — three for the “holy trinity,” and two to represent God as God and man.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/13/greek-pope-archbishop-demetrios/563513001/

A beautiful service, although calling His Eminence the Greek Pope probably would make any Orthodox bishop from the Ecumenical Patriarch to the Moscow Patriarch to the actual Greek Pope of Alexandria and All Africa, to Archbishop Demetrios himself, cringe.  It would be nice if people could grasp the idea of a non-papal, episcopal ecclesiology.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
At one time it was a more common term for bishops, if I recall correctly. A bit confusing today though.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Reporters are pitiful. Same goes for science journalism. There's a particular brand of being cockily wrong. I think it's the product of reporters feeling superior to their readers and subjects.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
At one time it was a more common term for bishops, if I recall correctly. A bit confusing today though.

Aren't "pope" and "bishop" just two different translations of the same word?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA

Aren't "pope" and "bishop" just two different translations of the same word?

That would be a stretch. More likely that pope is a form of father.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
Hold up a sec:

Perhaps the newspaper isn't totally at fault?
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Reporters are pitiful. Same goes for science journalism. There's a particular brand of being cockily wrong. I think it's the product of reporters feeling superior to their readers and subjects.

+1