OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:42:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Behind the Vatican's Proposed Gay Seminarian Ban  (Read 6894 times) Average Rating: 0
StephenG

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »

There are two reactions I frequently come across from those who regard themselves as 'conservative' Christians.

A frequently expressed one seems actually to be based not on Scripture or Tradition but a personal horror or disgust at those perceived to engage in 'unnatural acts'. Religion appears to be a secondary element in their rejection of this behaviour. Questioned about their reaction to other 'sins' of which we all have very many, including sexual ones it hard to find another that produces such strong reaction, save for pedastry and bestiality.

The second are those who appear genuinely concerned about behaviours long regarded as 'sinful' being increasingly portrayed as okay, that should be accepted and celebrated even and seeing this as part of a slide away, a dilution of the Christian life and part of an undermining of things like the Christian family.

I concur with the latter but am exceedingly uncomfortable with the former, it has a dreadul element of, yes I may be a sinner, but not a sinner of that ilk! A smugness and selective judgementalism that is quite uncomfortable to be around.

I noted that the new policy was supposed to have been spurred after research in several seminaries found evidence of rampant sexual liasons between staff and seminarians and active pressuring of incoming seminarians.

Certainly it will produce a storm in many circles in Europe, with campaigns by homosexual activists.

I am not persuaded by some of their propaganda, and suspect so-called sexual orientation is complex and more like a spectrum than one is hetrosexual, homosexual or (as a friend put it) simply greedy for anything going.

Certainly we have had one case reported recently of a man who underwent a sex change but now after a couple of years realises it was a mistake and has been successful in getting public funding for yet another operation to change sex once again. This I really struggle with.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2005, 09:12:55 PM »

Right I'll listen to Jennifer over the Summa Theologica on what the Catholic Church teaches about religious life. 

First, the Cathechism is the best source for determining what the RCC teaches.  (hint...it does not state that religious life is superior)  Second, please provide the citation in the Summa where St. Thomas Aquinas teaches that religious life is "superior." 

BTW, you would do well to listen to me about what the RCC actually teaches rather than spouting off nonsense you heard from some priest somewhere.   Roll Eyes
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »

Jennifer,

I agree.  In my 12+ years as a Catholic I have never heard that religious life is superior to married life.  In fact, our parish is a very prolific parish and our parish priest is very pro-family and very pro-marriage.  He has stated several times that marriage is one of the highest callings we can have, equating it with the religious life.

Rob
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2005, 09:36:18 PM »

The Summa is quite logically organized, one of its better features.  Someone of your far supior intellectual capabilities should have no trouble finding it. ÂÂ

So in the meantime I'm checking out of this discussion as I'm not in the mood to go through another one of your tantrums which will likely end in your labeling me an angry young man again because I disagree with you. ÂÂ
rosborn

Searching for home

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »

The Summa is quite logically organized, one of its better features.  Someone of your far supior intellectual capabilities should have no trouble finding it.

Meaning?  I don't know where it is but I heard that it's in there somewhere.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2005, 09:55:38 PM »

The Summa is quite logically organized, one of its better features.  Someone of your far supior intellectual capabilities should have no trouble finding it. 

So in the meantime I'm checking out of this discussion as I'm not in the mood to go through another one of your tantrums which will likely end in your labeling me an angry young man again because I disagree with you. 

So you don't know where it is then???  Care to provide something beyon anecdotal "evidence" about what some unnamed RC told you???  Let's take a wild guess...no.  It's not a matter of disagreement, young man.  One does not "disagree" about facts.  If you provided evidence I would not "disagree."  But you've provided no evidence. 

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2005, 10:16:09 PM »

Jennifer,

I agree.ÂÂ  In my 12+ years as a Catholic I have never heard that religious life is superior to married life.ÂÂ  In fact, our parish is a very prolific parish and our parish priest is very pro-family and very pro-marriage.ÂÂ  He has stated several times that marriage is one of the highest callings we can have, equating it with the religious life.

Rob

This is both refreshing and unexpected that the religious life is on the same peir level with married life.  As a former RC we were always taught that the religious life was a large cut above the married life because the religious life expected more sacrifice and work over and above what anyone would expect in the married life.  I guess things have changed a lot in the last 50 years. 

JoeS

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2005, 10:27:45 PM »

..I'm not in the mood to go through another one of your tantrums which will likely end in your labeling me an angry young man again because I disagree with you. ÂÂ

And don't forget that she probably has also heard that you are a PM harraser  Wink
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2005, 11:06:24 PM »

Please everyone don't take the personal stuff any further. Come on.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Stamfordguy

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2005, 12:37:08 AM »

Jennifer,

It appears you are up against two very sarcastic and outspoken men. I can hardly believe that in a group meant to discuss Christian things, such "love" is exemplified by such sarcasm and hostility. It speaks volumes for the spirit within.

Moderator: Wouldn't you agree that this discussion is bordering on the brink of being locked? What possible good can come from such demeaning insults among Christians?Huh Huh
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:03 AM »

Moderator: Wouldn't you agree that this discussion is bordering on the brink of being locked? What possible good can come from such demeaning insults among Christians?Huh Huh

1) yes it is
2) that's why I intervened
3) no good can come from it
4) I might just edit out personal insults and leave the content otherwise so as to not destory the discussion.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: homosexuality 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: