Author Topic: What videos are you watching?  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What videos are you watching?
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2018, 04:20:22 AM »
Professor Scott Steiner Typography

I've watched this dozens of times since it was uploaded, but it still makes me laugh
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
I guess the thing that set it off was a guy who made some comments about booktube women who wear makeup and have pro lighting and nice backdrops (or something like that), and all make the same videos about the same small number of books, and how he couldn't picture them being hunkered down and completely immersed in reading.

So, bookish women have to be... poor? Slovenly? Too dumb to figure out proper lighting? I don't understand what his point is supposed to be lol.

I mean, the whole "fake nerd girl" meme was about crap like not having every little scintilla of niche knowledge. But I don't even get how that's supposed to be connected to the idea that girls who read can't video good lol.

Small reference pools are unfortunate. But that's hardly limited to the booktube.

I like her channel as well... I hope she makes some more vids at some point.

Me too. Did her webcomic ever go live, do you know?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:16:22 AM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
Professor Scott Steiner Typography

I've watched this dozens of times since it was uploaded, but it still makes me laugh
The numbers don't lie, and they spell THIS IS AWESOME!
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2018, 04:22:46 AM »

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
Did her webcomic ever go live, do you know?

Not sure... I tried to look at her social media but stopped after my laptop crashed trying to view her tumblr (that site, and weather underground, seem to not cooperate very well with it). I know she's still active on some of it though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:04:25 PM by Asteriktos »
get rekt, nerd

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lsQfTaStcs

Haven't watched a Pepe Le Pew cartoon since I was a kid. Eesh, so cringey.
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lsQfTaStcs

Haven't watched a Pepe Le Pew cartoon since I was a kid. Eesh, so cringey.

Yeah, it's tough.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
Top 15 Scary Apps you Should NOT Download

This guy's voice is a major guilty pleasure for me.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
Me too. Did her webcomic ever go live, do you know?

I checked the google and her Twitter dating back to the time she made her last video, and no mention of it. She did continue doing art after that though. *shrugs*
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2018, 03:34:19 PM »
Just another canceled or abandoned project. Oh well, every creator (including me) has plenty of them, heh.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Linkara's new review- all four issues of The Punisher: Purgatory, the one where Frank Castle turns into a literal angel...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2018, 04:22:20 AM »
The Shadowhunter Books are Dreadful: Part 1 -Plagiarism and Characterisation

Savage.

Yeah, I've never read any of her stuff, but just from a distance Cassandra Claire always struck me as the just-slightly-more-self-aware version of E. L. James (same crappy, over-sexed fan fics).

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
(same crappy, over-sexed fan fics).

What's your definition of 'oversexed' YA?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »

Good question. Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure I have a coherent one! ^^;

Doesn't Mortal Instruments kind of have fetishized incest in it?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »

Good question. Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure I have a coherent one! ^^;

Incest is a theme, yes. Not sure 'fetishized' is the word, though. After all, the 'turns out it's not incest after all' treatment is about as popular as the 'it looked okay, but oops, it's incest' one.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »

Incest is a theme, yes. Not sure 'fetishized' is the word, though. After all, the 'turns out it's not incest after all' treatment is about as popular as the 'it looked okay, but oops, it's incest' one.

Yeah, that is true.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »

Yeah, that is true.

To be honest, I had to look up the plagiarism issue (because I read books but don't generally bother with gossip about authors) and once I saw who she's supposed to have plagiarised, I couldn't help chortling. Putting aside the fact that the concepts wrangled over are light years away from any definition of originality, the main point is that Cassandra Clare writes YA and Sherrilyn Kenyon quite explicitly doesn't. Taking the sex out of a story and smoothing the transitions so that it goes seamlessly will leave you with a very different story, even if the rest is copied word-for-word (and requires no mean writing skill). I'd put down money the issue is that Clare's books have been getting better press and sales than Kenyon's. A bit like it was 20 years ago, when J.K. Rowling was accused of plagiarising Diana Wynne Jones' Crestomanci series in Harry Potter (though, I seem to recall, Wynne Jones herself was not involved).

To be even more honest, I don't care if a work of fiction is plagiarised or not. Originality is something for the publishers and editors to worry over - the reader's only concern is whether the story is enjoyable or not. But then, in my formative years, I had Marion Zimmer Bradley not only actively encouraging people to write in her universe, but actually publishing them, so fanfiction is a legitimate genre in my book. YMMV.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »

Yeah, that is true.

To be honest, I had to look up the plagiarism issue (because I read books but don't generally bother with gossip about authors) and once I saw who she's supposed to have plagiarised, I couldn't help chortling. Putting aside the fact that the concepts wrangled over are light years away from any definition of originality, the main point is that Cassandra Clare writes YA and Sherrilyn Kenyon quite explicitly doesn't. Taking the sex out of a story and smoothing the transitions so that it goes seamlessly will leave you with a very different story, even if the rest is copied word-for-word (and requires no mean writing skill). I'd put down money the issue is that Clare's books have been getting better press and sales than Kenyon's. A bit like it was 20 years ago, when J.K. Rowling was accused of plagiarising Diana Wynne Jones' Crestomanci series in Harry Potter (though, I seem to recall, Wynne Jones herself was not involved).

It's funny, the video doesn't even mention Kenyon. I'm guessing she's using a looser definition of "plagiarism" as just meaning "unoriginal." That's not a good habit, I must say...

To be even more honest, I don't care if a work of fiction is plagiarised or not. Originality is something for the publishers and editors to worry over - the reader's only concern is whether the story is enjoyable or not. But then, in my formative years, I had Marion Zimmer Bradley not only actively encouraging people to write in her universe, but actually publishing them, so fanfiction is a legitimate genre in my book. YMMV.

Well, fanfic is one thing. I love fanfic (as a Platonic ideal, anyway. Haven't read much of the actual thing). It's a horse of a different color when your characters are pretty much just Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley by other names (or so I've heard, at least) and you expect people to give you money for it with this unacknowledged. Of course, the difference between rip-off and homage/inspiration mostly comes down to quality and what you bring new to the table. So maybe if I read Mortal Instruments, I'd conclude that the characters are different enough to make the borrowings insignificant by comparison.

Though I really don't know if any artistic considerations could ever justify word-for-word borrowings (that aren't quotations). I don't know if you're saying that Clare does that to anybody.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »

Well, fanfic is one thing. I love fanfic (as a Platonic ideal, anyway. Haven't read much of the actual thing). It's a horse of a different color when your characters are pretty much just Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley by other names (or so I've heard, at least) and you expect people to give you money for it with this unacknowledged. Of course, the difference between rip-off and homage/inspiration mostly comes down to quality and what you bring new to the table. So maybe if I read Mortal Instruments, I'd conclude that the characters are different enough to make the borrowings insignificant by comparison.

Though I really don't know if any artistic considerations could ever justify word-for-word borrowings (that aren't quotations). I don't know if you're saying that Clare does that to anybody.

An orphaned boy is raised by a relative's family - and not treated particularly well in the process - until a stranger sweeps into his life and sets him on a path to much bigger and better things. Am I talking about Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, or Arthur Pendragon? Which one is the fanfic? 8) Isn't Paradise Lost a fanfic of the Book of Genesis, and the Divine Comedy a shameless self-insert into Catholic doctrine? :police:

I don't know how accurate the plagiarism accusations against Clare really are. Apparently, she did really copy back in her fanfic days - which we can't verify now because she took her stories offline before redrafting them for publication and no one seems to have saved copies. In the end, Clare is traditionally published, there have been editors involved, and spotting plagiarism is their job, not the casual reader's. Stock characters and situations are simple lack of originality, and a good writer can make enjoyable stories out of a content generator.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »

An orphaned boy is raised by a relative's family - and not treated particularly well in the process - until a stranger sweeps into his life and sets him on a path to much bigger and better things. Am I talking about Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, or Arthur Pendragon? Which one is the fanfic? 8) Isn't Paradise Lost a fanfic of the Book of Genesis, and the Divine Comedy a shameless self-insert into Catholic doctrine? :police:

I agree. Like I said, the proof is in the pudding. The things that make Harry Potter different from Luke Skywalker and Luke different from Arthur Pendragon are their individual traits and actions.

I don't know how accurate the plagiarism accusations against Clare really are. Apparently, she did really copy back in her fanfic days - which we can't verify now because she took her stories offline before redrafting them for publication and no one seems to have saved copies. In the end, Clare is traditionally published, there have been editors involved, and spotting plagiarism is their job, not the casual reader's. Stock characters and situations are simple lack of originality, and a good writer can make enjoyable stories out of a content generator.

Fair enough.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
AVGN's new video is on Earthbound, possibly my favorite game ever! The video is a tad self-indulgent, but it makes sense given the weighty material.

It's AVGN, so the usual warnings about grossness apply.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »
Real Doctor Reacts to HOUSE M.D. | Medical Drama Review | Doctor Mike

A second react video. I'm starting to worry :(

I would only worry when you get contacted by the Fine Bros.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
This one feels a little more scathing than a lot of his material lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGbjQz73yA

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2018, 02:25:16 AM »
Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion Watched by Back Up Teacher

I agree with the top comment that "This video is somehow more chilling for what it doesn't show." I sat with the video going a couple minutes, heart in my stomach, knowing what was going to happen and waiting to hear the explosion off-camera.. but there was no loud boom, no shouts and overt panic, just the confused realization and sadness by the people that something had gone wrong.
get rekt, nerd

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 04:35:20 AM »
Bullet Journaling with Noelle

I don't keep a bujo, but I enjoy watching what others do with theirs. :)

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
9 Chilling [Allegedly] True Butterfly Effect Stories

I think I've begun falling back down the creepypasta narration hole lol.

It's nice to see that Lazy still makes videos despite also working a job. Horror narrators have been some of the hardest hit by YouTube's continuing monetization problems.

Anyway, I don't know if I buy that all of these are actual Butterfly Effects (keeping in mind that the BE is pretty much nonfalsifiable most of the time). But it's still interesting to contemplate.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
The first two stories in this set are bizarre lol! The other ones are pretty good, too.

Offline Jackson02

• Elder
  • St. Joseph of Petrograd pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Euthymius Valdez's demonic mountain bike experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAbpSCNAWk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:58:09 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »

St Anthony the Great was similarly tormented by devils.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

...if you feel Mor really is in spiritual danger, pray the Jesus prayer for him.   :police:

Offline Jackson02

• Elder
  • St. Joseph of Petrograd pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »

True, but this coming from Euthymius.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:47:30 PM by Jackson02 »
IC XC
NI KA

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »

Yeah, but he never faced the trials of fortune cookies and Harry Potter! TRULY THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:12:15 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
The fortune cookie reference made me LOL.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

...if you feel Mor really is in spiritual danger, pray the Jesus prayer for him.   :police:

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »
I'd think he wouldn't have fallen for the satanic ploy known as 'fortune telling,' about which the LAW of GOD says: "anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes... is an abomination to the Lord" (Deut. 18). Perhaps he is too busy reading Fr. Seraphim books and not spending enough time guarding the door to his heart, eh?
get rekt, nerd

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
I'd think he wouldn't have fallen for the satanic ploy known as 'fortune telling,' about which the LAW of GOD says: "anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes... is an abomination to the Lord" (Deut. 18). Perhaps he is too busy reading Fr. Seraphim books and not spending enough time guarding the door to his heart, eh?

It's ok for him to do it because shut up.

Quote from: Vid description
Please note, by eating a fortune cookie and reading the saying inside, it does not mean I endorse fortune telling and divination. I am very much against divination and fortune telling.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »
Watching too much American Pickers is turning into me a Springsteen blue collar America nostalgist. Probably not the most healthy headspace to slide into...

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
As someone who unironically liked the podracing scene from Phantom Menace (while admitting that it was also a might too long), it does my heart good to see the game getting rereleased on PC.

Offline Anthony1986

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
Popes are NOT Infallible - Myth of Papal Infallibility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-jiNrjxP0
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2018, 07:55:53 PM »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
how fast did mozart and beethoven really played ?

Not sure I'm convinced, but it is an interesting theory.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:34:01 PM by Justin Kolodziej »
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: seeking Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: N/A
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
I like to watch videos from Father Spyridon.

https://www.youtube.com/user/orthodoxstephen/