Author Topic: Racists in the Eastern Orthodox Church  (Read 377 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Racists in the Eastern Orthodox Church
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »

I've just learned that a certain admin on the FB group "Eastern Orthodox Church" has been removed due to belonging to some racist group and is also affiliated with Matthew Heimbach.  Maybe it's just naivete on my part, but the fact that some people could twist and warp the Church's teachings into seeming that a certain race is more superior, or that 'race mixing' is an evil, is just sick and irritating.  When I was baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox Church thirteen years ago, I wouldn't have believed such a thing could be possible.  I realize that we're all sinners and none of us are perfect, but these folks are recruiting others into believing that the Church actually accepts and teaches that these views are Orthodox.  I know folks who are not Orthodox that are KKKlowns (and some are kin to me!), yet who believe that they are Christians.  It saddens me to think that they might some day believe they have a voice within the Orthodox Church.  Truly these are crazy times!
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Re: Racists in the Eastern Orthodox Church
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

I've just learned that a certain admin on the FB group "Eastern Orthodox Church" has been removed due to belonging to some racist group and is also affiliated with Matthew Heimbach.  Maybe it's just naivete on my part, but the fact that some people could twist and warp the Church's teachings into seeming that a certain race is more superior, or that 'race mixing' is an evil, is just sick and irritating.
I may disagree with Ken Ham on a host of scientific and religious issues (him being a Young Earth Creationist and all), but I admire his total rejection of racism and the attempt to make racism biblically justified.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »

I've just learned that a certain admin on the FB group "Eastern Orthodox Church" has been removed due to belonging to some racist group and is also affiliated with Matthew Heimbach.  Maybe it's just naivete on my part, but the fact that some people could twist and warp the Church's teachings into seeming that a certain race is more superior, or that 'race mixing' is an evil, is just sick and irritating.  When I was baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox Church thirteen years ago, I wouldn't have believed such a thing could be possible.  I realize that we're all sinners and none of us are perfect, but these folks are recruiting others into believing that the Church actually accepts and teaches that these views are Orthodox.  I know folks who are not Orthodox that are KKKlowns (and some are kin to me!), yet who believe that they are Christians.  It saddens me to think that they might some day believe they have a voice within the Orthodox Church.  Truly these are crazy times!

::) You're the last person I'm going to have a racial discussion with.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
2 general answers:

the answer of life:

when something is as big and broad as Orthodoxy you are going to find every crazy thing you find on earth, as Orthodoxy is in the world.  Think of the most noble secular institution that is massive in scope, say medicine  or government or any piece of widely used technology, you will find corruptions, nuttiness, and perversions of the worst kinds of those things that as well.  Orthodoxy is no different.  This is the consequence of being man and the consequence of having something with broad appeal and practice.

the answer of the internet:

it's the internet.  every activist or self proclaimed philosopher-king can pick and choose anything he wants to be and make a big stink of it.  It's the internet.  Your will to your keyboard is the limit, everyone can create and constuct their own matrix type reality.... if it's any consolation that method and way of life is probably not very Orthodox, or much of anything worth noting even though it seems to be a bit of the rage this decade.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:52:40 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
The Apostles were well aware of what the Church would experience in terms of division, false teachers, scandals, etc.  The NT is replete with examples of troubles and warnings of future problems.  There is no time or place in the history of Orthodoxy that does not come with stories of betrayal, compromise and even schism.

IIRC Heimbach was disciplined by his priest for his actions.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »

Why would you say something like that?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »

When I mentioned the internet, one of the mindsets that's most tempting to play into...well, I let Elvis tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOBOhRECoo

ignore it or giggle at it, or both...but don't doubt it.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »

When I mentioned the internet, one of the mindsets that's most tempting to play into...well, I let Elvis tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxOBOhRECoo

ignore it or giggle at it, or both...but don't doubt it.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »

When I mentioned the internet, one of the mindsets that's most tempting to play into...

I guess I give off a klandestine vibe to Pistol Port.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »
The Apostles were well aware of what the Church would experience in terms of division, false teachers, scandals, etc.  The NT is replete with examples of troubles and warnings of future problems.  There is no time or place in the history of Orthodoxy that does not come with stories of betrayal, compromise and even schism.

IIRC Heimbach was disciplined by his priest for his actions.

He's been booted from two jurisdictions now, the one in which he was received and an old Calendarist one. In the case of the latter, he managed to drag a priest out with him.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »
Re: the OP -- any ideology can be weaponized if you cut the right teachings out or place emphasis in a sensitive enough place.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »
It's also the case that American contemporary ideology lacks much and confounds many. As such, desperate ploys have been attempted as remedy. Having tried everything else, the so-called culture warriors may as well try to wrest Orthodoxy. We live in terrible times, in spite of the appearance of luxury. Half of young people are now said to be mentally ill in some way (usually depression), altho God grant the figure is inflated by self-serving psychologists. Savior, save us.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy