Author Topic: New forum punitive measures  (Read 668 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
New forum punitive measures
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:20 AM »
I looks as though OC dot net has adopted some new punitive measures for naughty folks.  Example: "Watched".  What is this?  Also, I saw where a member was issued a "25%" warning.  What is that all about?  What are the different punitive measures and their meanings/uses?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: New forum punitive measures
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:41:20 AM »
You might find out.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »
You might find out.

Sounds ominous.  I guess I've violated a rule?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:42:16 AM »
You might find out.

I dont know how it works. I would guess that "watched" means all posts might be sent to moderators automatically. Or maybe it is simply a reminder to moderators to read the posts of this person if it is seen.

I would assume 25% means 25% way to being banned, but may be reduced over time.

Are there still "meatballs"? lol Not enough time to post here anymore with work
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
The system isn't new. It's a useful way to let a poster know s/he's violated one of the rules enough to receive a slap on the wrist rather than just a green-text warning. If the poster goes back to good behaviour, the percentage keeps getting lower until it disappears entirely. But if the poster continues to violate rules, the percentage can be upped and 'watched' turn into a more serious type of moderation of posts.

It pays to read the RULES section at some point since although some rules are general across all sub-boards, the rules for each sub-board can be somewhat different.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
You might find out.

I dont know how it works. I would guess that "watched" means all posts might be sent to moderators automatically. Or maybe it is simply a reminder to moderators to read the posts of this person if it is seen.

It's the latter. "Moderated" means we have to read and approve each post before it appears to the general public.

Also, I saw where a member was issued a "25%" warning.  What is that all about? 

The percentages deal with length of time. Exceed a certain percentage and you're automatically moderated or muted until it ticks down.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
If I remember right, the percentage guidelines are as follows...

1 to 24 percent: You are on the moderators' watch list
25 to 64 percent: Your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they're displayed
65 to 100 percent: You are muted, as in you will not be able to post or send PMs.

If you happen to reach 100 percent, the moderators may consider banning you, at least that's what happened when I reached 100 percent once. Thankfully they and Fr. George had mercy on me.
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
Thank you Agabus and Olivia.  That clears a lot up.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »

25 to 64 percent: Your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they're displayed
65 to 100 percent: You are muted, as in you will not be able to post or send PMs.

If you happen to reach 100 percent, the moderators may consider banning you, at least that's what happened when I reached 100 percent once. Thankfully they and Fr. George had mercy on me.

First: this is spot-on.

Second: more to GabrieltheCelt's point - yes, the system changed.  Wasn't our choice - on one of the occasions when we had to update the forum software, the module with the old warning system stopped working.  So we had to use the system that was made available to us. 
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:12:36 PM »

First: this is spot-on.

Second: more to GabrieltheCelt's point - yes, the system changed.  Wasn't our choice - on one of the occasions when we had to update the forum software, the module with the old warning system stopped working.  So we had to use the system that was made available to us.

Interesting.  Thanks for clearing things up, Fr.