Author Topic: New Russian Orthodox Catechism Published for Church Review  (Read 337 times)

Offline Apotheoun

• "Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
  • OC.net guru
  • St. John Maximovitch
    • The Taboric Light
New Russian Orthodox Catechism Published for Church Review
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:08 AM »
The new Russian Orthodox catechism is undergoing its review process. The Russian language text is available in PDF format at the article linked below.

The Synodal Biblical and Theological Commission publishes Catechism Project

Hopefully the final version of the new catechism will be translated into English.
"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: New Russian Orthodox Catechism Published for Church Review
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:04:10 AM »
The new Russian Orthodox catechism is undergoing its review process. The Russian language text is available in PDF format at the article linked below.

The Synodal Biblical and Theological Commission publishes Catechism Project

Hopefully the final version of the new catechism will be translated into English.

Very few bother even reading the ones we already have.  Maybe this one will change that.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:40 AM »
I've yet to understand the Russian need to ape the Roman church in this way.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »

The EP has had official catechisms too.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »

But that's not aping Rome, that's "confirming the brethren" and "teaching all nations". 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

But that's not aping Rome, that's "confirming the brethren" and "teaching all nations".

The funny thing is, I think their first official catechism was Saint Peter Mogila's.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »

I'm sure. But the famous ones, and the ones that get pushed in people's faces, seem to be Slavic. Or, conversely, I'm just wrong.

My concern is the fostering of this mindset we're not allowed on OC.net to use descriptives for but which many converts nonetheless realize in their own backgrounds, this mindset part of which makes faith formal mental assent and doctrine pedantic canons. There's enough of that at every other denomination. Converts should be freed, and given the Symbol of Faith, the Divine Liturgy, and the Fathers.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »
I don't think the catechism is meant to be a definitive confession, just a learning tool. Many fathers do expound dogma in a systematic way. I agree that we should avoid closed systems of propositions as substitutes for lively faith and theology.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »
I don't think the catechism is meant to be a definitive confession, just a learning tool. Many fathers do expound dogma in a systematic way. I agree that we should avoid closed systems of propositions as substitutes for lively faith and theology.

I'm with you.

Offline Sharbel

• Elder
  • Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
Is the Roman Church perfectly imperfect?
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
Is the Roman Church perfectly imperfect?

Well, gosh, Sharbel, they try tho they're only human.