OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 12:42:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on St. Dioscoros  (Read 973 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: September 22, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there are any books out there on the life and/or works of St. Dioscoros written from an Oriental Orthodox perspective (other than the Synaxarium).  Are there any books on Pope Dioscoros by the Coptic Orthodox Church or any of her sister Churches?  English would be preferable.

Thanks!

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »

I believe Theopistus, St Dioscorus's secretary had written a biography of the Saint; im not sure how much of it survives or in which translations it exists, but it's something to search for I guess.

I know almost everything about his dealings with Chalcedon, but with respect to his character and life in general not much is said, except that he was a humble, God-fearing and loving man, with a great zeal for the faith, and who was deeply loved by his people. Iris el Masri gives us glimpses of his life in exile - the miracles he performed amongst the sick, the money he gave to the poor, and his joyful and confident spirit as he suffered for the sake of the Orthodox Faith.

There does exist a book (which is referenced to by Fr Tadros Malaty in his account of Chalcedon), written in arabic by His Grace Gregorius Boulos Benham, titled Pope Dioscorus of Alexandria, Defender of the Faith  (444-454), (Cairo: 1968); i'm not sure if that helps.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:52:31 PM »

Thank you EkhristosAnesti!  BTW, I love the St. Baba Kyrillos avatar!  I will begin searching for these books.  Do you know where I could find Iris el Masri's account?  St. Dioscoros is one of my favorite saints.  I love him very much and want to learn more about him.

Thanks,

Nick

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Tags: St. Dioscoros Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: