Author Topic: How do you share your faith?  (Read 926 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
How do you share your faith?
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »
Mods- I'm not very good at figuring out where to post these things. 

Howdy y'all,

Just wanted to ask how you share your faith with folks?  For me, sometimes the best way is just by example, but we're told in Scripture to always be ready to give an answer for the hope we have.  So besides just living your faith, how do share yours?  What do you say?  Do you share Scripture verses?  Do you give quotes from the Saints?
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: How do you share your faith?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:50:40 AM »
I explain it. As a rule of thumb, atheists are easier than Protestants with Catholics falling somewhere down the middle and Calvinists being the most difficult and pretentious.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:55:08 AM »
The Bible's Message.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:58 AM »
I explain it. As a rule of thumb, atheists are easier than Protestants with Catholics falling somewhere down the middle and Calvinists being the most difficult and pretentious.
Yet, Calvinists are the ones who most of all make God really look like a totalitarian monster and a Divine Jigsaw who rejoice in sending people to hell in order to torture them and display his eternal wrath. So I guess you like them? I am disgusted by calvinism. Perhaps God is angry because he has always existed and seem incapable to stop existing, something he maybe longs for? So he becomes bored and creates human beings in order to havd some fun and express all of his emotions about his misfortunate fate of helplessly being, helplessly existing as all-powerful etc. Now finally he can have some fun. But then he became even more bored and angry. I dont know how he feels at the moment. His current state seems pretty critical. Sense my irony.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:22:49 AM by beebert »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »
Just wanted to ask how you share your faith with folks?  For me, sometimes the best way is just by example,
The best and the most difficult in the same time.

but we're told in Scripture to always be ready to give an answer for the hope we have.  So besides just living your faith, how do share yours?  What do you say?  Do you share Scripture verses?  Do you give quotes from the Saints?
1. Religious symbols that I wear (cross, prayer rope) and have at home. If somebody asks about them, I explain what is the purpose of possesing such things.

2. On some feasts and fasts I share a video with an Orthodox hymn for this occassion on Facebook along with some wishes. I share also some pictures from some feasts and foot pilgrimages I attend. Edit: when I share an album from my journeys (it happens mainly for the abroad ones) I usually put also a few pictures of the Orthodox churches I've been during this travel.
I also have a group on FB that's linked to my liturgical blog, so people see that I post some religious stuff. The group (and after a few years the blog) started when one of my RC friends was trying to invite me to drink some wine and eat some sweets, but it was the time of the Apostles Fast. When she heard that we have "again" a fast, she said "For what eat, while you can fast" and created a FB group that in its first moments was a joke. So:

3. If there is a fast and I don't eat/drink something, I explain it. I know, it may be an easy trap to fall in a pride, so it should be done very carefully.

4. I do the sign of cross passing by an Orthodox church, before and after meals - also in public places.

5. If there is a discussion about religiosu issues, life and dead, morality and so on, I sometimes indeed quote Bible or saitns. But it can't be done intrusively or fanatically.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:37:34 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:54:02 AM »
Just wanted to ask how you share your faith with folks?  For me, sometimes the best way is just by example,
The best and the most difficult in the same time.

but we're told in Scripture to always be ready to give an answer for the hope we have.  So besides just living your faith, how do share yours?  What do you say?  Do you share Scripture verses?  Do you give quotes from the Saints?
1. Religious symbols that I wear (cross, prayer rope) and have at home. If somebody asks about them, I explain what is the purpose of possesing such things.

2. On some feasts and fasts I share a video with an Orthodox hymn for this occassion on Facebook along with some wishes. I share also some pictures from some feasts and foot pilgrimages I attend. Edit: when I share an album from my journeys (it happens mainly for the abroad ones) I usually put also a few pictures of the Orthodox churches I've been during this travel.
I also have a group on FB that's linked to my liturgical blog, so people see that I post some religious stuff. The group (and after a few years the blog) started when one of my RC friends was trying to invite me to drink some wine and eat some sweets, but it was the time of the Apostles Fast. When she heard that we have "again" a fast, she said "For what eat, while you can fast" and created a FB group that in its first moments was a joke. So:

3. If there is a fast and I don't eat/drink something, I explain it. I know, it may be an easy trap to fall in a pride, so it should be done very carefully.

4. I do the sign of cross passing by an Orthodox church, before and after meals - also in public places.

5. If there is a discussion about religiosu issues, life and dead, morality and so on, I sometimes indeed quote Bible or saitns. But it can't be done intrusively or fanatically.

You can't fall in pride if you know that you are just a servant of your Lord and you do only what you indeed must to do.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Yet, Calvinists are the ones who most of all make God really look like a totalitarian monster and a Divine Jigsaw who rejoice in sending people to hell in order to torture them and display his eternal wrath. So I guess you like them? I am disgusted by calvinism. Perhaps God is angry because he has always existed and seem incapable to stop existing, something he maybe longs for? So he becomes bored and creates human beings in order to havd some fun and express all of his emotions about his misfortunate fate of helplessly being, helplessly existing as all-powerful etc. Now finally he can have some fun. But then he became even more bored and angry. I dont know how he feels at the moment. His current state seems pretty critical. Sense my irony.
Calvin's god seems more like Zeus than like the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Father of Christ Jesus.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »

Beebert, show some respect.  JamesR was talking about God-as-Divine-Jigsaw way before you showed up. 

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
Beebs has a lot of catching up to do. Why dont we have a HOF thread exclusively for JamesR? It should be required reading for all newbies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:51:09 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

Beebert, show some respect.  JamesR was talking about God-as-Divine-Jigsaw way before you showed up.
I apologize. I didnt know except seeing his name mentioned by others a few times. Is it a sensitive subject to argue with him or something? Because otherwise, I see no reason to show more respect to someone just because he is an old poster. Except that, and the fact that I know many of you want me gone here, I appreciated JamesR's post as showing someone who at least had the capacity to think and to think for himself, and also it was funny and he seems fun, and with potential. Even if it lacked some depth. But I am not to judge and apologize if I touched on something that was sensitive to touch on. Posts of his kind are needed here. It gives fresh air.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:59:10 AM by beebert »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
I don't want you gone. Please stick around.  :)

It's not a sensitive subject, it's just JamesR's long running enjoyable schtick.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
What people? . . .

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »
Howdy y'all,

Just wanted to ask how you share your faith with folks?  For me, sometimes the best way is just by example, but we're told in Scripture to always be ready to give an answer for the hope we have.  So besides just living your faith, how do share yours?  What do you say?  Do you share Scripture verses?  Do you give quotes from the Saints?

For now, I don't.  I'm not often asked, but if something comes up, I caveat heavily with "what I've learned so far..." and "from what I understand...".  I try to be both wise and gentle; most people just want to be listened to, I think.  At the moment, I honestly  don't feel like I could give a good solid answer to much, anyway.  Unfortunately, I do run into and talk with people who will immediately pin that on Orthodoxy; I'm slowly trying not to feel responsible for that.  Prayer, too.  I think that's an often-overlooked approach.  The times I'll actually be the right person in the right place at time to help someone have an epiphany are probably going to be rare, but I can always pray for anyone and everyone.  :)  But caveat: that's just me; I'm probably wrong.  ;)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
Books
Social media
Tattoos

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »
I gave my friend the book about Orthodox Faith. One of the book I gave her is The Way of a Pilgrim. This is the way I share the faith.
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
If people ask me anything about something relevant it may come up.  How that usually comes up is through lifestyle, customs, habit, heritage, and people knowing that I'm good in certain trades and areas of knowledge / trivia.  If you can't talk about it naturally and as a "mundane" fact I would be hesitant about talking about it all...even there, I'm not one inclined to talk deeply about such things.  If the conversation demands it though, I can talk for hours on end about secondary info that amuses me:  Etymologies, languages, Byzantine Emperors and history, secular literature, geography, musical scales, and things like that.

Most often for me this came from growing up Orthodox and being in a Polish/Irish Catholic neighborhood and attending Catholic school, being Syrian, crossing myself at certain times and in a certain way, mentioning the weird holidays I celebrate, bringing up some mundane historical fact if asked, bringing up some musical or artistic point if my thoughts are asked for, and things like that.  Oddly this was more common for me to do 10 years ago when I was some form of a nihilistic degenerate hanging out with fellow nihilistic degenerates.  Now  the new normal seems to be addressing some form of spiritual fanatical people want to talk about is "socio-economic-political material conditions" / get in "deep" philosophical conversations (i.e: arguments, or me listening endlessly about the most self absorbed problems or manifesto), and hold me to some form of inquisition or forming some stupid sectarian alliances constructed in some fools head. Whenever anything about any of this stuff is brought up I pull a Harpo Marx from the movie the Coconuts and run off when someone is rambling about, whatever platitude it is they ramble about, and take a shot of Old Overholt.  I suppose this latter form of "evangelism" is me doing my best not to get too nasty on these people.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:40:20 PM by William T »