Author Topic: Boston area Greek Orthodox priest suddenly relieved of duties  (Read 802 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I normally don't concern myself too much with the goings on at any particular parish, but this one has hit Yahoo News for several days in a row now. Does anyone know what is going on?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/30/arlington-church-protests-ouster-beloved-priest/58HucHFaguMGJe2oF0xA7M/story.html

Hundreds of devastated parishioners at a Greek Orthodox church in Arlington turned out to mourn and protest a lack of transparency surrounding the firing of a beloved priest at his last Sunday service.

The head of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston announced in a letter on Thursday that Rev. Nicholas M. Kastanas would be relieved of his duties at St. Athanasius the Great Church after more than 27 years, citing a “state of turmoil” related to “hurtful and destructive communications.” The letter did not mention any specific misconduct, and attempts to reach the Metropolis throughout the weekend were unsuccessful. Kastanas declined to comment at the church Sunday.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Boston area Greek Orthodox priest suddenly relieved of duties
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
I don't think cake-sitting was involved.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
I heard parish councils can get pretty ugly...
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »
Oh yeah.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
According to leaders in the congregation, including one close to Kastanas, the priest was removed for not controlling criticism of church matters on social media.
  So now a priest is supposed to control parishioners' social media?  I doubt if the problem will be solved by changing priests.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
According to leaders in the congregation, including one close to Kastanas, the priest was removed for not controlling criticism of church matters on social media.
  So now a priest is supposed to control parishioners' social media?  I doubt if the problem will be solved by changing priests.

Actually, I'm not so much surprised. My priest (and not only) was being called by our metropolitan several times because of what I'd posted on Facebook.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
I read both articles and just wept.  A priest does not have that kind of control over free speech.  Especially in a parish of 800 families.  This parish needs healing and the metropolitan is not helpful at all.  However, I am impressed that the priest remained kind and respectful at his last Sunday Divine Liturgy in the parish.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
My priest would probably be content if he could just get me to shut up on social media much less all the other people in our parish!  ;D
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
I don't think cake-sitting was involved.

:-X

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
http://arlington.wickedlocal.com/news/20170801/police-remove-parishioners-from-arlington-church-as-locks-changed

"Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? ... I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you; no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren? But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers. Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong; why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?" I know the Apostle is talking about judges, but police would be part of the same apparatus, surely.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »
I priest appreciates my Facebook posts. I hope he understands the memes.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline OrthoDisco

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 01:27:52 AM »
so... I love judge Marilyn Milian , but she has this great saying about social media:
Say it, forget it. Write it, regret it.

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »

It seems as though this fiasco would do more to incite the world's criticism of the church than the members posting on social media.  It's shameful and heartbreaking.