Author Topic: How do we respond to people who kill themselves without judging them ?  (Read 529 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
I feel because a lot of people show them sympathy maybe especially celebrities others follow them and kill themselves. But sympathy is not wrong david had sympathy for Saul and absalom. But they were lost
Some people may not be lost but we can not say suicide is forgivable if they appeared to be able to control themselves but only God knows. The church forbids funeral prayers because others may copy them.
How do we address it so we should compassion without letting anyone hurt spiritually by it ?

I suppose that is impossible or more would commit suicide for they would feel not responsible to make such an effect

If they think they should love the person they ought not to copy them

But I am told I don't need to think about what others do but my own salvation.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:44:46 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
I feel because a lot of people show them sympathy maybe especially celebrities others follow them and kill themselves. But sympathy is not wrong david had sympathy for Saul and absalom. But they were lost
Some people may not be lost but we can not say suicide is forgivable if they appeared to be able to control themselves but only God knows. The church forbids funeral prayers because others may copy them.
How do we address it so we should compassion without letting anyone hurt spiritually by it ?

I suppose that is impossible or more would commit suicide for they would feel not responsible to make such an effect

If they think they should love the person they ought not to copy them

But I am told I don't need to think about what others do but my own salvation.

I think it is based on what is their need.
For example in Bible there is example how one righteous man killed himself, the fall of his army was enough, because he was about to become prison of the enemy.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
Don't overthink it.

When someone dies, pray for them.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.