OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 11:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People who are evil :'(  (Read 911 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: September 20, 2005, 11:17:55 PM »

Have you managed to find in your life people without feelings, like someone who hurts you so much, and does not seem to realize what she/he is doing to you, being impossible to discern if this person enjoys making you suffer or just has a veil covering the soul that prevents her/him from seeing the damage of her/his actions?

Everybody seems so indifferent to the pain of their brothers, no wonder why today not even the diseases killing children, the huge natural disasters and tragedies of life are able to move the hearts of the people.

Or is it that the value of the one who suffers no matter in what scale, is sometimes so insignificant, so much that nothing of his human dignity exists in the eyes of the others. Bad actions, despise, hurting the others are now seen as a normal everyday action, something that can be done without any regret. Now people no longer see that their actions hurt and cause sufferings to others, they are blind to the truth in many ways.

The little people is always so hopeless and the others are always tryumphant in this life. Many say God sends us sadness for our salvation and purification and that this might be a gift, because he wishes we do not go to Hell with the rest.

What is the Orthodox approach toward sadness and injustice? Monks and priests are filled with the grace, the Trinity can fill their lives because they're dedicated to Christ, but which are the ways to strenghten the soul of the common man who has been abandoned by love and understanding.

anncatherine

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:02:03 PM »

Sadness and injustice are indeed part of our lives in this fallen world.  And our sin, however small or secret, contributes to the falleness of the universe.  In contrast, holiness, however small or secret, brings the universe closer to what it ought to be.  Our prayers and the prayers of the saints mitigate against the evil of others.  Also, on a purely practical level, our suffering is for our salvation.  Mother Theresa once remarked that she was unworthy to suffer for our Lord.  If you allow it, evil people will push you closer to God on the path to salvation.  While this may not be of much comfort to you now, perhaps this will help you get a slightly different perspective.  And trust me, while I write this in response to you, this is a lesson that I must learn every day.

Ann
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 01:20:44 PM »

Sister Ann,
 Your words have given me a lift.  It is important to remember that others callousness and meaness can help us to become closer to Christ.  We must pray for everyone and consider the unpleasantness of others and an opportunity to work out our salvation.  Thank you for your words.   Blessings.   Humbly,  Juliana
arjuna3110

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 09:08:43 PM »

Sadness and injustice are indeed part of our lives in this fallen world.ÂÂ  And our sin, however small or secret, contributes to the falleness of the universe.ÂÂ  In contrast, holiness, however small or secret, brings the universe closer to what it ought to be.ÂÂ  Our prayers and the prayers of the saints mitigate against the evil of others.ÂÂ  Also, on a purely practical level, our suffering is for our salvation.ÂÂ  Mother Theresa once remarked that she was unworthy to suffer for our Lord.ÂÂ  If you allow it, evil people will push you closer to God on the path to salvation.ÂÂ  While this may not be of much comfort to you now, perhaps this will help you get a slightly different perspective.ÂÂ  And trust me, while I write this in response to you, this is a lesson that I must learn every day.

Ann

Wow !  Well said !
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: