Author Topic: Has anyone successfully gone from "free spirit" to "mega-organized Type-A"?  (Read 623 times)

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I put this in the family section because I think it has somewhat to do with family relationships and whatnot... (but honestly, I had no idea where to put it.  Feel free to move it if necessary. :) )

So if you've spent 20+ years doing whatever you want, living wherever/however you want....but now's come a time when you have to buckle down because you have 26 hours of stuff do everyday but only 24 hours to do it in, how do you change your personality?  How do you bring your family along with you (specifically kids)?  What things have you done to institute personal time efficiency as well as family efficiency?
I'm trying this bullet journal thing to start organizing my time, but I'm having problems fitting everything in because by 9am, I'm back to winging it.  And then nothing gets done.

If that makes sense...

Offline Alpha60

• Tyrannical AI Overlord
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
I would describe myself as mega-disorganized type A.   Or rather, type A but with organization restricted to that which I find intellectually stimulating.  Everything else becomes ... entropic.

This may be why I love hotels and business travel so much.  You have maids to take care of the things I tend to be less skillful at maintaining.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Ainnir

• High Elder
PMing you (eventually, lol).   ;D

Yay, thank you  ;D

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
Sometimes the ends don't justify the means.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Sometimes the ends don't justify the means.

No taxation without representation.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
No one would describe me as mega-organized type-A, but being an adult has compelled me to be a great deal cleaner and more organized than once I was. I still drive my wife nuts when I put the laundry away though.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
What the heck is a mega organized Type A? Is this an organization of cells by blood type?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:13:05 PM by nothing »
“The soul that loves God has its rest in God and in God alone. In all the paths that men walk in in the world, they do not attain peace until they draw nigh to hope in God.”

— St. Isaac the Syrian, Homily 56, 89

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
What the heck is a mega organized Type A? Is this an organization of cells by blood type?

"Type A" refers to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_and_Type_B_personality_theory

It's used informally for people who are also generally called "go-getters," or other, less flattering terms like "anal."
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

oh boy...

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
Apart from working 8 hours a day, i have no family, no kids, no gf, no responsibilities what so ever...

And i still can't find the time to do all the things i have planned, my situation is a type of absurdity ontop of all this i often cant get the sleep i need....

So i guess everyone in here manages his/hers time much better than me
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:54:24 AM by Vanhyo »

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I love the idea of bullet journalling, but I'd never keep up with it, not even when my attention span and motivation were at their best.

I'm essentially juggling three school schedules right now - my son's, my husband's workplace, and my own online coursework. There are assignment deadlines, parent-teacher consultations, non-pupil days, non-uniform days, and I'm the only one who needs to remember who goes to school and who stays at home at any given day, who's having a school dinner and who needs to pack a lunchbox, when the young one needs a separate dinner because his father is staying late, when library books are due back, when there's a weekday DL (and whether I can make it into town for it) and when the church kids' club meets, and somehow schedule doctor's and dentist's appointments around everything else. Some days it's a full-time PA job.

Still, writing everything down is THE way not to have things fall through the cracks all over the place. Through trial, I have figured out my trustiest tool is an academic planner (this is my new one). It has to be spiral-bound and week-to-view, because it sits forever open on my desk, pen wedged into the spiral. If I have to move it or close it, I'll lose track. I also keep a magnetic mini-clipboard with a list pad on the fridge, so I can jot down stuff that needs bought as soon as I'm aware we're running low.

Of course, delegating tasks is important. Even more important is to resist the temptation to go back and redo the task, if it's not done to your satisfaction.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
I love the idea of bullet journalling, but I'd never keep up with it, not even when my attention span and motivation were at their best.

I'm essentially juggling three school schedules right now - my son's, my husband's workplace, and my own online coursework. There are assignment deadlines, parent-teacher consultations, non-pupil days, non-uniform days, and I'm the only one who needs to remember who goes to school and who stays at home at any given day, who's having a school dinner and who needs to pack a lunchbox, when the young one needs a separate dinner because his father is staying late, when library books are due back, when there's a weekday DL (and whether I can make it into town for it) and when the church kids' club meets, and somehow schedule doctor's and dentist's appointments around everything else. Some days it's a full-time PA job.

Still, writing everything down is THE way not to have things fall through the cracks all over the place. Through trial, I have figured out my trustiest tool is an academic planner (this is my new one). It has to be spiral-bound and week-to-view, because it sits forever open on my desk, pen wedged into the spiral. If I have to move it or close it, I'll lose track. I also keep a magnetic mini-clipboard with a list pad on the fridge, so I can jot down stuff that needs bought as soon as I'm aware we're running low.

Of course, delegating tasks is important. Even more important is to resist the temptation to go back and redo the task, if it's not done to your satisfaction.

/respect

Thank you for this!  I feel slightly less crazy now :)  I'm taking six class at university right now (3 online and 3 in-person), I'm homeschooling my son-plus chauffeuring all his extra activities, I work part-time, and I'm single so every.darn.thing around here falls to me.  I did realize that I can't actually do every activity every day, so some things - mostly personal - are being left by the wayside or just for the weekends.
I tried a bullet journal last year, but I lost it half-way through.  I made one up just for the next three months to see if I can actually stick to it.  I need something that has *everything* on one or two pages.  I don't want to have to open one thing for homework and another thing for the week's menu, ya know?  But it's also annoying having to check my little book for everything....Ugh, I don't know.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
Apart from working 8 hours a day, i have no family, no kids, no gf, no responsibilities what so ever...

And i still can't find the time to do all the things i have planned, my situation is a type of absurdity ontop of all this i often cant get the sleep i need....

So i guess everyone in here manages his/hers time much better than me
How do you feel when you come home from work, tired, no energy?

I've been in that situation before where I have all this newfound time to do whatever I want and realize I had so much I wanted to do that I ended up not doing anything at all. Try to focus on doing one small thing at a time.

Like right now during my catechumante I want to absorb as much reading as I can but I have to remind myself Rome ain't built in a day. There is a text on the Divine Liturgy I am dying to read because it is so exhaustive and comprehensive however I have to get the basics under my belt before moving on to something more advanced.

Just have to be patient...I will get there eventually...
“The soul that loves God has its rest in God and in God alone. In all the paths that men walk in in the world, they do not attain peace until they draw nigh to hope in God.”

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
When I began my career, I was super career and money focused and was constantly pushing to get ahead in the industry. Now, I've completely given up all those ambitions and mostly just focus on my faith, family, and hobbies. I guess I went in the opposite direction of where you are trying to go.  ;D

(not trying to say you are trying to become more career oriented, just that I was more Type A and now am definitely more Type B)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:34:28 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

When I began my career, I was super career and money focused and was constantly pushing to get ahead in the industry. Now, I've completely given up all those ambitions and mostly just focus on my faith, family, and hobbies. I guess I went in the opposite direction of where you are trying to go.  ;D

(not trying to say you are trying to become more career oriented, just that I was more Type A and now am definitely more Type B)

I have to be Type A for the next 5-6 years (for the sake of my family's future), then I am very happily going back to Type B :)

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
Cheers to that! :D

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

I have to be Type A for the next 5-6 years (for the sake of my family's future), then I am very happily going back to Type B :)

I'm looking forward to getting myself a job in a couple of years (once the young one is no longer too young to stay unsupervised for a while), but I have zero interest in a career anymore - I just want my own pocket money and to spend more time with adults! ;D I've reached an age when I appreciate time to do my thing a lot more than the trappings of success.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
I'm looking forward to getting myself a job in a couple of years (once the young one is no longer too young to stay unsupervised for a while), but I have zero interest in a career anymore - I just want my own pocket money and to spend more time with adults! ;D I've reached an age when I appreciate time to do my thing a lot more than the trappings of success.
That's awesome, I agree.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
How do you feel when you come home from work, tired, no energy?
Every time is different so i can't really tell, maybe i am little tired but have the energy. Maybe i lack discipline or motivation, i don't know.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
I'm not too sure that's the right phrase.  I think A and B are more like introvert and extrovert.

Anyway, I tend to fluctuate by circumstance in almost anything.  I'm probably naturally a fairly chaotic fellow though, even though I'm capable of organizing.   I don't know what kind of intellect you would call that, "entrepreneurial" maybe?  I seem to naturally be inclined to something like.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
I put this in the family section because I think it has somewhat to do with family relationships and whatnot... (but honestly, I had no idea where to put it.  Feel free to move it if necessary. :) )

So if you've spent 20+ years doing whatever you want, living wherever/however you want....but now's come a time when you have to buckle down because you have 26 hours of stuff do everyday but only 24 hours to do it in, how do you change your personality?  How do you bring your family along with you (specifically kids)?  What things have you done to institute personal time efficiency as well as family efficiency?
I'm trying this bullet journal thing to start organizing my time, but I'm having problems fitting everything in because by 9am, I'm back to winging it.  And then nothing gets done.

If that makes sense...

Well, you're not going to change your personality. But I take your title as more of a metaphor.

For me I use what my mother did. A daily schedule, a weekly schedule, and various lists. These can be on paper, on a whiteboard, or whatever -- I have whiteboards around the house. Projects list is in a notebook, and items come from there onto the schedules and to-do lists.

We children had chore lists, but we had to be nagged all the time; not the best. My own are too little for me to worry about how they'll contribute, so we just concentrate on their picking up what they take out. But they actually love to fold laundry and do dishes if I let them.

Oh and I use YNAB now for budgeting.

Take it easy on yourself. Start with writing down the big picture. Good luck!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy