Author Topic: Praying for Satan & Fallen Angels.  (Read 530 times)

Offline jayjay

Praying for Satan & Fallen Angels.
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

Ok, this quote got me thinking - do we, can we, is it right, to pray for the soul of Satan & the fallen angels??? We pray for each other, and the departed, why not for this??? I know the scripture teaches that Satan/his followers are cast from God to eternal damnation, but, is there hope for a few of the fallen angels to return to God?? Are the prayers for them fruitless??? I've been very curious after reading this quote.

Would love to get your  views on this.
Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Praying for Satan & Fallen Angels.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

Ok, this quote got me thinking - do we, can we, is it right, to pray for the soul of Satan & the fallen angels??? We pray for each other, and the departed, why not for this??? I know the scripture teaches that Satan/his followers are cast from God to eternal damnation, but, is there hope for a few of the fallen angels to return to God?? Are the prayers for them fruitless??? I've been very curious after reading this quote.

But why to pray for angels and satan they not lost their authority before Lord, no matter fallen are.
They still can kill people with fire from heaven, talk to God and make people sick (see book of Job).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »
There is of course this famous quote of Saint Isaac of Syria:

What is a merciful heart? It is a heart on fire for the whole of creation, for humanity, for the birds, for the animals, for demons, and for all that exists. By the recollection of them the eyes of a merciful person pour forth tears in abundance. By the strong and vehement mercy that grips such a person’s heart, and by such great compassion, the heart is humbled and one cannot bear to hear or to see any injury or slight sorrow in any in creation. For this reason, such a person offers up tearful prayer continually even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth, and for those who harm her or him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner such a person prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns without measure in a heart that is in the likeness of God.

Not that, as far as I'm aware, this translates into a typical practice for most of us.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
We can pray for even devils if we think they may be able to offer repentance on earth but the bible tells us they will end up damned in revelations so we can not assume that because the bible may teach they got their chance and fully made their decision so may not be able to offer repentance. If we really believed that seriously then humans could take the risk of living completely away from God believing God patient is way more than it is not caring for justice and it don't matter how they live now

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Actually us that know better shouldn't even entertain the thought because we are at war with them and shouldn't give the impression that we care for mercy that is void of goodness and righteousness and it will be revealed in that day. The saints shall judge angels so we must not make people think we have more mercy than we have
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:36:41 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
Demons means the soul of God. Angels means his authority. Satan means his power. Fallen angels are the God's will for humans on earth who not fallow his faith, that He is good to them too. For satan we can also think that he is god in earth. Because God is only in heaven and heaven is far from earth. Evil spirits means the souls of all dead. And saints means people who are in his church and loved the church more than everything so they want to be part from it in heaven.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
Demons means the soul of God. Angels means his authority. Satan means his power. Fallen angels are the God's will for humans on earth who not fallow his faith, that He is good to them too. For satan we can also think that he is god in earth. Because God is only in heaven and heaven is far from earth. Evil spirits means the souls of all dead. And saints means people who are in his church and loved the church more than everything so they want to be part from it in heaven.

I am orthodox christian I have read the bible and I have normal beliefs.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with what you just wrote.

Satan is not the Lord's "power", etc.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »

I mean on earth. Because he say that he own all world's kingdoms. So if you want something in earth you must ask him. You can't talk to st. Archangel Michael because he means the protection of all alive beings.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
I am not saying that they exist. Because what most people think as sin is just same as what some think for good.
I mean every from this persons is have his feeling in people's soul and in God's soul. So without them there can't have balance and what people call "faith".

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »

I mean on earth. Because he say that he own all world's kingdoms. So if you want something in earth you must ask him. You can't talk to st. Archangel Michael because he means the protection of all alive beings.

I would rather just petition God for all things, earthly and heavenly.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »

I would rather just petition God for all things, earthly and heavenly.

I think same.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
There is of course this famous quote of Saint Isaac of Syria:

What is a merciful heart? It is a heart on fire for the whole of creation, for humanity, for the birds, for the animals, for demons, and for all that exists. By the recollection of them the eyes of a merciful person pour forth tears in abundance. By the strong and vehement mercy that grips such a person’s heart, and by such great compassion, the heart is humbled and one cannot bear to hear or to see any injury or slight sorrow in any in creation. For this reason, such a person offers up tearful prayer continually even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth, and for those who harm her or him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner such a person prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns without measure in a heart that is in the likeness of God.

Not that, as far as I'm aware, this translates into a typical practice for most of us.

+ 1

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
earliest Christianity might have looked something like that .
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Almost_Orthodox

• Muddling Through Life
  • Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Philadelphia
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »

Well, this is interesting for this reason. Today I read a dissertation on hell in which the following paragraph caught my attention:

The second group of creatures invited to share eternal glory with God were men, composed of soul and body. Different from the Angels who have a will that decides at once and forever what they love or hate without the possibility of change, men have a changeable will that can either reject what they first loved or love what they first rejected. Hence, the test for a human being takes place for as long as he lives and is only decided when he departs this life.

My question is this....how do we know that the fallen angels are exempt from coming to a point at which they realize their bad decision and say  "Oh $#*$^, that was not good.  I'm going to beg for mercy and change my thinking (repent)"

I'd be interested in knowing how and from where we have a definitive answer to this.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »
The Revelation foretells their damnation. Every creature had a different nature. What, in your estimation, is the plan of salvation for dolphins? They to are a creature of great intelligence. However, the gift of potent will as it abides in man is not in their created nature. No angel of either camp will be a child of God, as their nature and therefore their destined relationship to God is not the same ad ours. In my opinion, this imagining of Satan as some species of brother of ours is pernicious. As a pit by a nature completely oblivious to our welfare swallows up men, so a fallen angel presents nothing but cold evil to man.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:03 AM »
The Revelation foretells their damnation. Every creature had a different nature. What, in your estimation, is the plan of salvation for dolphins? They to are a creature of great intelligence. However, the gift of potent will as it abides in man is not in their created nature. No angel of either camp will be a child of God, as their nature and therefore their destined relationship to God is not the same ad ours. In my opinion, this imagining of Satan as some species of brother of ours is pernicious. As a pit by a nature completely oblivious to our welfare swallows up men, so a fallen angel presents nothing but cold evil to man.

Yes I completely support.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 12:16:35 AM »

Who's the girl, bro? 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:16:53 AM by Mor Ephrem »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:23 AM »

Who's the girl, bro?

Random picture from internet.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:32:42 AM by Indocern »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »
We can pray for the sinners.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:20:35 AM by Indocern »