Author Topic: BBC - Orange Order calls on Protestants not to use the phrase 'RIP'  (Read 596 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
The Orange Order has asked its members to stop using the term 'RIP' to express grief or sympathy after a death.

It said the phrase is unbiblical, un-Protestant, and a form of superstition connected to Catholicism.

RIP is an abbreviation of 'rest in peace' or in Latin, 'requiescat in pace'.

In a publication marking the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, the order called on Protestants to stop using the phrase.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40705687
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Re: BBC - Orange Order calls on Protestants not to use the phrase 'RIP'
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
Like assuming you're dead before you die? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »
Well that's refreshingly honest. The probable new wording, R.I.T., roil in torment, is going to have an interesting ring to it.

Anybody seen Beebert lately?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »
At times, I wish some sort of Orthodox entity that would kind of lovingly troll troll both the sectarian Catholics and Protestants of Northern Ireland, so that when either side says something crass, offensive and divisive, a loving Orthodox response would be issued.

For example, reply to the Orangemen by encouraging Protestants to say "Christ is risen!" when comforting the families of the deceased, according to the Orthodox custom.

That said, given the unhealthy state of the Catholic church in Ireland (the pro-reunification Sinn Fein these days seems driven more by a left-wing political agenda than by the ideals of Roman Catholicism), I expect we would find ourselves disproportionately critical of the Orange Order, and that would make us appear to take a side in a silly conflict which has for most people been resolved.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
At times, I wish some sort of Orthodox entity that would kind of lovingly troll troll both the sectarian Catholics and Protestants of Northern Ireland, so that when either side says something crass, offensive and divisive, a loving Orthodox response would be issued.

For example, reply to the Orangemen by encouraging Protestants to say "Christ is risen!" when comforting the families of the deceased, according to the Orthodox custom.

That said, given the unhealthy state of the Catholic church in Ireland (the pro-reunification Sinn Fein these days seems driven more by a left-wing political agenda than by the ideals of Roman Catholicism), I expect we would find ourselves disproportionately critical of the Orange Order, and that would make us appear to take a side in a silly conflict which has for most people been resolved.

Orangemen are as a rule far nastier and evil than Northern Irish Catholics. And Sinn Fein has always been a leftist and avowedly non-sectarian party.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »

Uh oh. The family reunion is about to get messy.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »
So when did you ever see these people? . . . or questioning if they never even existed? . . .
Learn meditation.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »

Uh oh. The family reunion is about to get messy.

Not at all.  Just a friendly poke in the ribs.  :)
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
The Orange Order has asked its members to stop using the term 'RIP' to express grief or sympathy after a death.

It said the phrase is unbiblical, un-Protestant, and a form of superstition connected to Catholicism.

RIP is an abbreviation of 'rest in peace' or in Latin, 'requiescat in pace'.

In a publication marking the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, the order called on Protestants to stop using the phrase.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40705687

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »
Ian Paisley approves.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Well that's refreshingly honest. The probable new wording, R.I.T., roil in torment, is going to have an interesting ring to it.

Anybody seen Beebert lately?
When you're on, Porter, you hit it dead on.

;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:04:56 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »

Orangemen are as a rule far nastier and evil than Northern Irish Catholics.

Agreed.  And those are the folks from whom my kin and I come from.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »

Orangemen are as a rule far nastier and evil than Northern Irish Catholics.

Agreed.  And those are the folks from whom my kin and I come from.
This is the sort of thing that happens when you take an Irishman's whiskey away from him. Dang evangelical protestants...
God bless!

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »
Rather than "She's with Jesus now. This is a reminder that one day you too will die, so accept Christ as your personal Savior now so you don't end up in Hell"? Which was pretty much the entirety of the only non-Catholic funeral "service" I've ever been to.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »

Orangemen are as a rule far nastier and evil than Northern Irish Catholics. And Sinn Fein has always been a leftist and avowedly non-sectarian party.

If memory serves, the British Parliament was urged to ban the Orange Order, and I think they did,, for quite a time, by King William IV.   
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.