Author Topic: Source for weekday Octoechos Exapostilaria in English?  (Read 208 times)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Source for weekday Octoechos Exapostilaria in English?
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
I noticed the SJKP Octoechos does not have these (at least for Tone V Saturday, I assume other instances as well), it goes straight from the canon to stichera for the praises.

Is there another English source you use if you do weekday simple services?

Offline gavaisky

• Level 10 cleric
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: Source for weekday Octoechos Exapostilaria in English?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
I don’t have the SJKP Octoechos on hand, so I don’t know how helpful this is, but have you tried looking in the back of the book? I believe the exapostilaria for both Sunday and weekday services are located in the back, not in the daily services, since they are not tied to the tone of the week. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the daily exapostilaria are also in the Unabbreviated Horologion published by Jordanville.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:46:45 PM by gavaisky »
Let the mouth too fast from disgraceful speeches and railing. For what does it profit if we abstain from birds and fishes, and yet bite and devour our brethren? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother, and bites the body of his neighbor.
—St. John Chrysostom

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
I found them, they were right under my nose. They are printed in the Unabbreviated Horologian in Matins (p70-71), right where you would want them.  My confusion was because the notes in Fekula's "Order of Divine Services" said that for simple weekday services it comes from the Octoechos, so they are Octoechos content even though they are the same regardless of tone, but change based on day of the week.  I was looking in the contents of that Horologian to see if the was a "Selected material from the Octoechos" since there is such a section for Triodion, Pentecostarion, and Menaion.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:06:41 PM by Bob2 »

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Also, they are in the back of volume 4 of the SJKP Octoechos, but not the others, as I recall.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)