Author Topic: Where we should kiss the icons?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Where we should kiss the icons?
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »
Where one should kiss the icon of Jesus, Theotokos and other saints. For example is it ok to kiss the Theotokos in the face or shoulders. And what about other icons? Also is it ok to touch icons with hands? And I kiss the Theotokos in she shoulders. And other saints like st. Dionysios of Olympus I kiss on the beard.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:11:26 AM by Indocern »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
Re: Where we should kiss the icons?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
I'm not Orthodox but I can only tell you what I was explained by a parishoner recently, how to venerate icons and where to kiss them.

He told me that if an icon shows the full figure of Christ you are to kiss his feet. If it is one where Christ is with his mother, the Theotokos, you are to kiss his hand and the scroll he is holding. And the icon not made by hands you are to kiss the bottom part of Christ's hair.

If I recall correctly, to venerate the Theotokos you are to kiss her hand, but I'm not sure.

The saints you kiss their feet, or if you don't see their full body their hand or the hand holding a scroll. If there is a relic below the icon you would kiss the relic and not the icon.

I haven't read yet the veneration of icons in my catechism book (Law of God) yet, but this was what was explained to me.

Of course if this is all wrong, I'd like to be corrected.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:14:12 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
IIRC, you kiss the bottom half of an icon (the "feet") or the hands, not on the face.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
I was told generally to try to avoid kissing the face directly, and if possible to kiss the right hand or feet, or as in The icon "Not Made By Hands" that has only a face to kiss the hair. Our bishop once gave short homily at a vigil on being careful as we kiss icons, for instance not venerating the horse instead of St Demetrius.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Where one should kiss the icon of Jesus, Theotokos and other saints. For example is it ok to kiss the Theotokos in the face or shoulders. And what about other icons?

Priests here say to kiss:
1. Beard (if this is a male saint) - because clergy kisses/touches bishop's beard, plus it's a symbol of Aaraon (Psalm 132, 2)
2. Cheek, as saints are our friends
3. Feet, if we want to show obedience and admiration toward saints/feast

Also is it ok to touch icons with hands?

In some traditions (Copts, I've heard also about Georgians) kiss their hands and then toutch the icon by this hand. That's what I do at my room in the mornign and evening, sometiems also at church.

I was told generally to try to avoid kissing the face directly, and if possible to kiss the right hand or feet, or as in The icon "Not Made By Hands" that has only a face to kiss the hair. Our bishop once gave short homily at a vigil on being careful as we kiss icons, for instance not venerating the horse instead of St Demetrius.

Haha, yeah, and sometiems (if the icon is hang too high) people venerate dragon instead of st. George.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
Ok. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:13:38 AM by Indocern »

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
I kiss the Theotokos on the halo also. I never kissed them on the cheek. And I touch the icon with hand and without move my hand I kiss my fingers 3 times only or center of the hand 3 times more, both 6 times. I also cross myself without touching my body. Once I try to cross my body with touching and get headache. I see this is good to kiss this icon on the beard from what you have said.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Hands and feet.  Or just the corner of the icon.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »
Where one should kiss the icon of Jesus, Theotokos and other saints. For example is it ok to kiss the Theotokos in the face or shoulders. And what about other icons? Also is it ok to touch icons with hands? And I kiss the Theotokos in she shoulders. And other saints like st. Dionysios of Olympus I kiss on the beard.

If you are a child, perhaps. Otherwise, I'd feel pretty disrespectful kissing the Mother of God on the face.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »
Where one should kiss the icon of Jesus, Theotokos and other saints. For example is it ok to kiss the Theotokos in the face or shoulders. And what about other icons?

Priests here say to kiss:
1. Beard (if this is a male saint) - because clergy kisses/touches bishop's beard, plus it's a symbol of Aaraon (Psalm 132, 2)
2. Cheek, as saints are our friends
3. Feet, if we want to show obedience and admiration toward saints/feast

Also is it ok to touch icons with hands?

In some traditions (Copts, I've heard also about Georgians) kiss their hands and then touch the icon by this hand. That's what I do at my room in the morning and evening, sometimes also at church.

Haha, yeah, and sometiems (if the icon is hang too high) people venerate dragon instead of st. George.

I do this in the tiny chapel where we sometimes meet, though for a practical rather than theological reason. Space is so tight that the candle stands in front of the icons are very close to them. If there are lots of candles already lit, I'm worried if I lean towards the icons in an attempt to kiss them, I'll end up burning myself!

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
What I have been taught in my church and what has been handed down from generation to generation is that:
1) You kiss the feet of an Icon of Jesus Christ because He is our Lord and Master
2) you kiss the hand of the Theotokos because she is our Mother and the Mother of God.
3) you kiss the cheek of a saint because saints are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:22 AM »
I ways go for the feet of Christ and the hand of everyone else.
God bless!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 04:38:54 AM »
My priest told me, when I was first catechised: "be mindful when venerating icons like the Ladder, there could be demons in them."

At the time I wasn't paying attention and thought he meant spirits inhabiting the icon... :)
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »
I ways go for the feet of Christ and the hand of everyone else.

This is what I do.  This is how I was taught.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »
My priest told me, when I was first catechised: "be mindful when venerating icons like the Ladder, there could be demons in them."

At the time I wasn't paying attention and thought he meant spirits inhabiting the icon... :)
Nice!
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Maybe because of this thread I had dream that I am in some church and there was some very beautiful icon of Theotokos and I make symbol of cross on her and kiss her on the mouth. Also I kiss her on the halo like I kiss my home icon.