Author Topic: The little piece of Americana in my front yard  (Read 486 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
The little piece of Americana in my front yard
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
My 8-year-old has started a lemonade stand in our front yard. When she suggested the idea, which is to raise money to buy souvenirs when she goes to the beach with her grandmother and cousins next week, we figured it would be good for a couple of hours.

Three business days and a Saturday later, she's going strong. Today she upgraded the stand, investing some of her earnings into cookie dough, which she baked and is selling alongside the drinks. Breaking down her per-hour income, and I'm fairly sure she's making more than I did in my college summer job.

At Christmas, she stood at the corner with a sign telling passers by she would sing for money so she could buy Christmas presents. That also worked.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: The little piece of Americana in my front yard
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »
What a go-getter.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
How long do you have before the cops show up and ask for her business license and food inspection certificate?
God bless!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
That's cute!   :D
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »
How long do you have before the cops show up and ask for her business license and food inspection certificate?

Not a worry here. It's almost weird how much people like not being with the times in such ways in this town.

We did once have a cop show up and tell us letting the kids play in the yard invited human traffickers. His evidence was that when he rolled up to the stop sign, the boy talked to him. Not that he talked to some some random stranger (which wouldn't really bother me, either), but to a uniformed cop.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:58:33 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
I wish our kids could have a lemonade stand. Although I am also happy that our home is out in the country so cars/people aren't passing regularly either. I had a lemonade stand one summer as a kid. I cheated and used powdered CountryTime lemonade though.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
My 8-year-old has started a lemonade stand in our front yard. When she suggested the idea, which is to raise money to buy souvenirs when she goes to the beach with her grandmother and cousins next week, we figured it would be good for a couple of hours.

Three business days and a Saturday later, she's going strong. Today she upgraded the stand, investing some of her earnings into cookie dough, which she baked and is selling alongside the drinks. Breaking down her per-hour income, and I'm fairly sure she's making more than I did in my college summer job.

At Christmas, she stood at the corner with a sign telling passers by she would sing for money so she could buy Christmas presents. That also worked.

Good for her!!! 

I always make a point of stopping for lemonade at the kids' stands....even if I pour the lemonade out as soon as I turn the corner.  I want them to succeed, as they learn about business, and money management.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos