Author Topic: The Young Pope  (Read 290 times)

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
The Young Pope
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »
I watched it last fall, albeit in the continental European setting, without English subtitles for the gratuitous Italian.  I think I got the plot, and I think I throughly enjoyed it; one got the impression that the Italian dialogue conaiated of mere meta discussions about the Pope and Machiavellian intrigue.

Have I missed anything by not watching it in English?  If so I'll probably do an HBO on demand subscription, because the new seasons of Game of Thrones and West World are impending.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: The Young Pope
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
I greeted this show with a lot of hyped up expectations based on what I had read and how it was received in screenings.  Alas, I was sorely disappointed.  Jude Law, I think, is a great acting talent but he came off as boring and predictable. Maybe it was the script, but a good actor can take bad scripts and make them into passable if not good movies (Denzel Washington does that superbly).  HBO likes to make movies/shows that sneer at religion and maybe they thought they were being edgy, but I saw nothing that hasn't  been passed down in the news section of the WaPo or the New York Times or any other major publication that is also deriding of religion in general and Roman Catholicism in particular.  I think the only thing you missed without the English was some predictable dialogue.  And James Cromwell, another actor whom I think very highly of, also had a chance to shine but failed.  I watched this show from beginning to end thinking "The next episode will be better" and that never happening.  THe only thing I really liked about the show was the opening credits, particularly the third episode where you see Jude Law parading in front of art works with a haunting rendition of "All Along the Watchtower" playing in the background.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how big a difference there'd be between the two, but I watched the first two episodes this afternoon and was going to ask if it got any more interesting.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how big a difference there'd be between the two, but I watched the first two episodes this afternoon and was going to ask if it got any more interesting.

Don't waste your time.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »
The saddest part: For all the focus on ecclesiastical finery, he wears the hideous Paul VI tiara instead of something more magnificent like the Palatine tiara.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:41 PM »
The saddest part: For all the focus on ecclesiastical finery, he wears the hideous Paul VI tiara instead of something more magnificent like the Palatine tiara.

I know, right?  Worst. Tiara. Ever.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
I greeted this show with a lot of hyped up expectations based on what I had read and how it was received in screenings.  Alas, I was sorely disappointed.  Jude Law, I think, is a great acting talent but he came off as boring and predictable. Maybe it was the script, but a good actor can take bad scripts and make them into passable if not good movies (Denzel Washington does that superbly).  HBO likes to make movies/shows that sneer at religion and maybe they thought they were being edgy, but I saw nothing that hasn't  been passed down in the news section of the WaPo or the New York Times or any other major publication that is also deriding of religion in general and Roman Catholicism in particular.  I think the only thing you missed without the English was some predictable dialogue.  And James Cromwell, another actor whom I think very highly of, also had a chance to shine but failed.  I watched this show from beginning to end thinking "The next episode will be better" and that never happening.  THe only thing I really liked about the show was the opening credits, particularly the third episode where you see Jude Law parading in front of art works with a haunting rendition of "All Along the Watchtower" playing in the background.

To be clear, it was the dialect in Italian I did not hear.  Everything said in English, by Jude Law, James Cromwell (who I loathe, by the way), etc, I heard.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.