Author Topic: EP rejects candidates for Chicago Metropolis  (Read 3716 times)

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of China
Re: EP rejects candidates for Chicago Metropolis
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »
Man, I'm giving up my telenovela and watching this thread instead! ;-)
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Man, I'm giving up my telenovela and watching this thread instead! ;-)

Telenovela in China? Drama and epics are more common there afaik
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »
And then there's this...
what do they have against widowers?

I think what the article is trying to communicate to us, in an understandably cryptic fashion, is that the wives of priests are being assassinated to fit them for the bishopric.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
'Archbishop Demetrios and Hierarchs of America in Defiance of the Ecumenical Patriarchate'

https://www.thenationalherald.com/169898/archbishop-demetrios-hierarchs-america-defiance-ecumenical-patriarchate/

BOSTON – The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America defied the Synodical decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to revise the List of Candidates for the elevation to Episcopacy.

Instead in a unpresented[sic] move they decided that the Archbishop with a representation of hierarchs travel to Constantinople to try to convince Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to reverse the initial Synodical decision that canceled the election of Bishop Sevastianos of Zela as Metropolitan of Chicago.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
'Archbishop Demetrios and Hierarchs of America in Defiance of the Ecumenical Patriarchate'

https://www.thenationalherald.com/169898/archbishop-demetrios-hierarchs-america-defiance-ecumenical-patriarchate/

BOSTON – The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America defied the Synodical decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to revise the List of Candidates for the elevation to Episcopacy.

Instead in a unpresented[sic] move they decided that the Archbishop with a representation of hierarchs travel to Constantinople to try to convince Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to reverse the initial Synodical decision that canceled the election of Bishop Sevastianos of Zela as Metropolitan of Chicago.

Oh boy...
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
Got to love the sensationalism.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »
I am so very pleased to see that the Most Reverend Hierarchy of the Holy Eparchial Synod of America stood behind their "Three Person Ballot" as it was originally composed, and did not succumb to the venerable Mother Church's directive to reconstitute the Eligible Candidates List, which it has been approving for over a decade, most recently this past March. The election of the candidates on the "Three Person Ballot" was accomplished in full compliance with the Constitutional Charter, under the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, I'm sure. The intent of reconstituting the Candidates List is an effort to confuse the process, in the middle of an election process. The act of the Patriarchate's rejection of the "Three Person Ballot" was a rude smack at the holy hierarchs of the Holy Archdiocese of America, and the Reverend Clergy who were properly elected to the "Three Person Ballot."

His All Holiness should not forget that the matter of hierarchical elections were the most hotly debated clauses of the revised Constitutional Charter in 2000 and 2001. The settlement clause, proposed by Archbishop Demetrios, specifically stated that the current (and past) practice was to elect the candidate who secured the highest number of votes from the Eparchial Synod.

May God continue to inspire Archbishop Demetrios in his primacial responsibilities on behalf of the clergy and faithful of the Holy Archdiocese of America, and may the Ecumenical Patriarchate be enlightened to appreciate the position they have placed upon its Senior (Geron) Archdiocese of America, which is such a loyal daughter to the Mother Church and desires to remain within the loving embrace of the Ecumenical Throne. His Eminence has been an Orthodox primate par excellence, never interfering into the internal affairs of the Holy Metropolises, while coordinating the "matters of common concern." He brought peace and progress to the American Archdiocese upon his enthronement from the substantial turmoil he inherited from his predecessor, which was caused by a wrong-headed Archepiscopal election of the Ecumenical Throne in 1996.

"Demetrios, the Most Reverend and God-chosen Archbishop
                                   of the Holy Archdiocese of America,
                                   Primate and Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans,
                                   our spiritual Father and hierarch,
                                   Many Years!"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:08:25 AM by Basil 320 »
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2017, 03:13:47 AM »
::)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Got to love the sensationalism.

Exactly.  There are one or two people who are choosing to leak information, but it goes to sources that want to advocate for specific candidates, and therefore gets spun heavily before publication.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »

What now?

Basil 320's song and dance was more than a little ridiculous.

I'm sure these fathers, beloved brethren, will continue to work thru the matter for the spiritual benefit of all. Treating of brethren as tho they are enemies better suits the demons' ditty of discord than a sacred chant.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »

What now?

I'm sure these fathers, beloved brethren, will continue to work thru the matter for the spiritual benefit of all. Treating of brethren as tho they are enemies better suits the demons' ditty of discord than a sacred chant.

But he used all the correct, pious adjectives and phrases. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
*sigh*

I'm just glad Christ is the true Head of all the local churches, as he is infinitely wise and merciful.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
I am so very pleased to see that the Most Reverend Hierarchy of the Holy Eparchial Synod of America stood behind their "Three Person Ballot" as it was originally composed, and did not succumb to the venerable Mother Church's directive to reconstitute the Eligible Candidates List, which it has been approving for over a decade, most recently this past March. The election of the candidates on the "Three Person Ballot" was accomplished in full compliance with the Constitutional Charter, under the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, I'm sure. The intent of reconstituting the Candidates List is an effort to confuse the process, in the middle of an election process. The act of the Patriarchate's rejection of the "Three Person Ballot" was a rude smack at the holy hierarchs of the Holy Archdiocese of America, and the Reverend Clergy who were properly elected to the "Three Person Ballot."

His All Holiness should not forget that the matter of hierarchical elections were the most hotly debated clauses of the revised Constitutional Charter in 2000 and 2001. The settlement clause, proposed by Archbishop Demetrios, specifically stated that the current (and past) practice was to elect the candidate who secured the highest number of votes from the Eparchial Synod.

May God continue to inspire Archbishop Demetrios in his primacial responsibilities on behalf of the clergy and faithful of the Holy Archdiocese of America, and may the Ecumenical Patriarchate be enlightened to appreciate the position they have placed upon its Senior (Geron) Archdiocese of America, which is such a loyal daughter to the Mother Church and desires to remain within the loving embrace of the Ecumenical Throne. His Eminence has been an Orthodox primate par excellence, never interfering into the internal affairs of the Holy Metropolises, while coordinating the "matters of common concern." He brought peace and progress to the American Archdiocese upon his enthronement from the substantial turmoil he inherited from his predecessor, which was caused by a wrong-headed Archepiscopal election of the Ecumenical Throne in 1996.

Many Years!"
Many Years! Axios!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2017, 11:37:16 PM »

What now?

You can't smell the sulfur and call it incense.

The demons have not found Abp. Demetrios (Many Years! Axios!) a suitable instruments for working out their will, nor been able to actively employ him in raising up for the whole Church stumbling-blocks. The same cannot be said for some others.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »

What now?

The demons have not found Abp. Demetrios (Many Years! Axios!) a suitable instruments for working out their will, nor been able to actively employ him in raising up for the whole Church stumbling-blocks. The same cannot be said for some others.

God rebuke you for referring to our holy hierarchs as demons, or demons' playthings. The Evil One is the author of discord, dissolution, and depression. The Christ is the author of brotherly harmony and a hopeful spirit in spite of all ups and downs. Personal political and doctrinal preferences don't enter into it and aren't a basis for such accusation.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2017, 11:44:47 PM »
I may not agree with actions that the EP takes, but I think it is reprehensible to refer to him as demon possessed.  >:(
God bless!

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »

What now?

I hope you're right, never-the-less.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:54 AM »
I think I see now that Isa was harping on a theme I began. I'm slow sometimes. Still, lamentable and just unacceptable to take it there.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »

What now?

God rebuke you for referring to our holy hierarchs as demons, or demons' playthings. The Evil One is the author of discord, dissolution, and depression. The Christ is the author of brotherly harmony and a hopeful spirit in spite of all ups and downs. Personal political and doctrinal preferences don't enter into it and aren't a basis for such accusation.
we know that some picture "brotherly harmony" like this

but we don't. Convey our regrets to the Metropolitan of Bursa (too bad he is no longer the official spokesman. His press release on this would have been interesting).

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »

of the Holy Archdiocese of America,
                                   Primate and Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans,
                                   our spiritual Father and hierarch,
                                   Many Years!"

This is just a yes or no question. Do you have independent information about what occurred at the Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese? I got the notion from you that Theodore Kalmoukos at the  National Herald is a yellow journalist whose posts need to be taken with a grain of salt (if this is the correct expression). I may have mis-remembered, but that is what I came away with from a prior post of yours.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »
Yes, several sources aside from Mr. Kalmoukos. See also the Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL) website. I also have spoken with several priests, including one of the most prominent in GOArch, about this matter.

I have mentioned that Kalmoukos writes "Yellow Journalism," but he often intermingles it with facts. "The National Herald," for which he writes, is a good source of information because the official organs of the Holy Archdiocese are not known to report or be explicit about news that is not necessarily what it intends to promote.

There are no absolutes in reporting news and information.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:45:46 AM by Basil 320 »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Yes, several sources aside from Mr. Kalmoukos. See also the Orthodox Christian Laity (OCL) website. I also have spoken with several priests, including one of the most prominent in GOArch, about this matter.

I have mentioned that Kalmoukos writes "Yellow Journalism," but he often intermingles it with facts. "The National Herald," for which he writes, is a good source of information because the official organs of the Holy Archdiocese are not known to report or be explicit about news that is not necessarily what it intends to promote.

There are no absolutes in reporting news and information.

I'm sure you know, but in case others don't -- this org is a project to manipulate and disgrace the Church by a Greek billionaire. Shameful.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

Do you have any idea how tortured this logic is?

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »

Do you have any idea how tortured this logic is?
A life long Greek, I'm sure he does.

It's called "Byzantine" for a reason.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:03:36 PM by ialmisry »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2017, 05:57:19 PM »
So, what is actually happening as of now?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »

The Holy Spirit is at work.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2017, 01:22:43 AM »

The Holy Spirit is at work.
Many Years to Archbishop Demetrios! Axios!

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Any news?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
Any news?

I was wondering the same thing.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:55:52 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Just announced: Archbishop Demetrios says, in light of "intolerable micromanagement" from Istanbul, talks are underway with the OCA synod for a possible merger.
Nice, I clicked the link on my phone and my volume was set at 100% speakerphone around a bunch of people.
I was just talking about this song with my son yesterday.

Meanwhile the cathedra on La Salle (not the OCA's) remains empty...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:14:01 AM by ialmisry »

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
How are you coping with what OC.net claims is a division between the Archdiocese and the Patriarchate (the issue of the Chicago metropolitanate), since I know in the past you've posted expressions of acute distaste for both? Is it tearing you apart to decide which camp you have to like now?
claims? Is there a Metropolitan?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »
Just announced: Archbishop Demetrios says, in light of "intolerable micromanagement" from Istanbul, talks are underway with the OCA synod for a possible merger.
Nice, I clicked the link on my phone and my volume was set at 100% speakerphone around a bunch of people.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »

yes, flew right over your head.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2017, 12:24:45 AM »

You see, a cathedra is the seat of the Bishop or Metropolitan usually in a cathedral.  Chicago has no Metropolitan and therefore the cathedra is unoccupied or empty.  Or is the fact that there is no Metropolitan for the Chicago Metropolis not really a cause for concern now 3 months since Met. IAKOVOS' repose?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
You boys are going to be in tears when this all turns out to be non-news and Chicago and the GOARCH and the EP carry on as swimmingly as ever.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:32 AM »
You boys are going to be in tears when this all turns out to be non-news and Chicago and the GOARCH and the EP carry on as swimmingly as ever.
you misspelled "drowning."

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »
The Phanar imposed charter says "no later than forty (40) days...."

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »

How is it non-news that the Metropolis of Chicago does not have a Meyropolitan after more than three months without one? 

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

How is it non-news that the Metropolis of Chicago does not have a Meyropolitan after more than three months without one?

Obviously there's been news. What there won't be is the news that the EP has been cast out and the GOARCH had kissed the ring of OCA, as you fine gentlemen so giddily anticipate.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2017, 06:00:48 PM »

Obviously there's been news. What there won't be is the news that the EP has been cast out and the GOARCH had kissed the ring of OCA, as you fine gentlemen so giddily anticipate.
projecting your fears I see.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.