Author Topic: Millenials are Killing Libraries: Sad!  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Millenials are Killing Libraries: Sad!
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »
One good thing about the local libraries here: they've frozen charges on overdue books since March, and reopened in June for curbside (appointment) pick-up

One bad thing about the local libraries here: they've frozen ILL as well, and maybe 95% of the 2019-2020 books I want are at other libraries

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »
Ew.  Buy or wait?  Tough call.   :-\
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there‚Äôs that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2020, 09:41:49 PM »
Probably hard copies for the kids.  And yes, I almost always buy used, but not through FB.

I forgot there's a FB Marketplace too; it's always been the Amazon one for me, although I hardly buy hard copies anymore. The hospice bookshop whose pic I posted upthread closed last year, and hunting hasn't been the same since.
Oh gotcha, lol.  To me, Amazon is synonymous with third party sellers.  I'll use AbeBooks sometimes, too, but their shipping is s-l-o-w.  That's a bummer.   :(  A good used bookstore would be cool.

I do eBay a lot, though not so much for books (despite scoring a rather obscure title for a fiver at an auction). Charity shops are great if you're browsing for random suggestions rather than looking for something in particular, but of course they've all been closed for the past few months. The young one, for his part, is thrilled because his library account is getting upgraded to adult now that he's 12. He's been salivating over the comics section for a while.
My daughter's card is where all the fees are...  ;D  But I'm supposed to check the due dates because the app is on my phone, and I just... didn't.  :)  She checks out tons at a time -- around 20.

That's a lot. Ours allow up to 14 items out at a time, whether books or other things. At least the child accounts don't get charged with late fees. I'm going to miss that.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2020, 09:45:33 PM »
Ew.  Buy or wait?  Tough call.   :-\

Unless publishing works different there, always wait. I refuse to buy hardbacks. They gobble up too much money and too much space.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~