OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: do you agree?
I agree - 1 (20%)
I do not - 3 (60%)
We learn something new every day - 1 (20%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Language Does God Speak (Revised)?  (Read 3414 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: February 25, 2003, 07:11:09 PM »

Here is the revised poll. Please vote your conscience!
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 07:13:10 PM »

So, uhmm, why is Latin in all caps?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 07:13:51 PM »

Because Jesus speaks Latin of course Smiley
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 07:37:34 PM »

Enochian! Since it's the only language listed that claims to be angelic, I figure it's as good a guess as any.  Grin

On looking further, I see anastasios has already mentioned it in the unrevised thread. Fum.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 07:39:20 PM by Beayf » Logged
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 07:41:39 PM »

Who picked Latin?
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 01:14:31 AM »

Umm...how about Celestial?  j/k

God can speak whatever language whenever He wants.  After all, omniscience has its privleges! Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 03:06:36 AM »

Yes, there should have been an 'all of the above and then some' option.

John.
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 03:13:40 AM »

OK, this discussions sounds very legalistic and Catholic. How do angels fly? How many can fit on the tip of a needle? How does the Bread and Wine turn into Body and Blood?

The only human language we can be sure that God spoke is Aramaic, which was spoken by the Incarnate Word of God Jesus Christ.

Grin

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 12:24:52 PM »

The only human language we can be sure that God spoke is Aramaic, which was spoken by the Incarnate Word of God Jesus Christ.

Grin

Figures the only person displaying any common sense in this thread is Oriental Orthodox like me.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 12:49:58 PM »

Of course historians know that nobody ever disputed over how many angels can fit on the tip of a needle. You can find that out by going to Serge's page (www.oldwordrus.com) and clicking on the story about debunking the Renaissance.

Matt
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 12:53:33 PM »

Grin

Figures the only person displaying any common sense in this thread is Oriental Orthodox like me.  Tongue

Hey, wait a minute, Mor!  I think I, a mere EO, was the first one to ask about our Lord's speaking Aramaic (and you said it was the same thing as Syriac), remember?   Grin

Hypo-Ortho

t0m_dR

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 01:09:08 PM »

I hope this is a humor poll!!

Of course God doesn't speak any language. Languages are creations. God "speaks"  the Uncreated Universal Language of love. Smiley

If I was to vote , i would vote Greek. (what a coincedence, I AM Greek!!  Grin )

bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2003, 01:12:59 PM »

SHEESH!  Of course  it is a humorous poll!  But, God still speaks Slavonic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
t0m_dR

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 01:25:24 PM »

SHEESH!  Of course  it is a humorous poll!  But, God still speaks Slavonic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be silly!  Grin, Greek is the Only language!

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 01:28:34 PM »

Thanks for saving my arse, guys. My Greek professor raised the question yesterday when we were learning the verb "to be" as he used it in the 3rd person imperative, "Let there be light." Greek should win because it's the only language with a 3rd person imperative, which seems rather strange to me.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 01:29:08 PM by Frobisher » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 02:56:15 PM »

Hey, wait a minute, Mor!  I think I, a mere EO, was the first one to ask about our Lord's speaking Aramaic (and you said it was the same thing as Syriac), remember?   Grin

Ah, Hypo-Ortho, but *this* is the revised thread, and thus a different thread than the one in which you asked about Aramaic.  In this thread, you haven't said anything till now, and so my comment stands as far as "this thread" is concerned.  But you are right, you did mention it before, so it's all good.  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2003, 03:00:07 PM »

Ah, Hypo-Ortho, but *this* is the revised thread, and thus a different thread than the one in which you asked about Aramaic.  In this thread, you haven't said anything till now, and so my comment stands as far as "this thread" is concerned.  But you are right, you did mention it before, so it's all good.  Smiley  

Oh man, we better both be on the Revised Julian Calendar too!!! Grin

Hypo-Ortho (getting "hyper")
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2003, 04:29:11 PM »

Still neck and neck...who will be our winner?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2003, 09:06:47 PM »

Oh man, we better both be on the Revised Julian Calendar too!!! Grin

Alas, Hypo-Going-On-Hyper-Ortho, I am on the Gregorian calendar.  The Orthodox Church in India switched over from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar in 1953.  I am of the opinion that the calendar should either be all Julian or all Gregorian; the RJC seems to have its own problems, which complete adherence to one or the other calendar doesn't seem to have.  My personal preference is for the Gregorian calendar, just because it's what I'm used to, it's what the majority of Christians use, it is also the civil calendar, etc.  Of course, this means that the only Orthodox we celebrate all feasts with on the same day is the Church of Finland, and we're not even in formal communion yet.  But usually I don't find the discrepancy a problem, because the discrepancy is usually only by a week, and then we're all in the Paschal season together.  But when it's like last time, and Julian Pascha is five weeks after Gregorian Pascha, I get really annoyed (incidentally, in that situation, I would've rather been on the Julian calendar).  

(FYI: The Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches are completely on the Julian calendar, the Syrian Orthodox Church is on the revised Julian, and I am not sure what the Armenian Orthodox use, although I suspect it is the revised Julian)

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2003, 10:40:12 PM »

Sad  Too bad, Mor, but the Papal Calendar is not for me, and here we sadly must part ways.  

As you said, with the exception of the autonomous Orthodox Church of Finland (which sold out on the date of Orthodox Pascha and is on the Papal Calendar in order to qualify as Finland's second "State Church" and receive largesse from the taxes collected from the people by the Finnish Government) and the Malankara Orthodox Church of India, the remainder of the Orthodox world, i.e., the great majority of it, *both* Eastern and Oriental, whether Julian "Old Calendarist" or Revised Julian "New Calendarist," at least celebrate the greatest feast of the Orthodox calendar, the Feast of Feasts and Holyday of Holydays, the Holy Pascha, the Bright Resurrection of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, *together* as Orthodox and *not* with the Protestants and RC's.  IOW, they celebrate Pascha *together* according to their common understanding of the canons of Nicaea I, the First Ecumenical Council of 325 AD, and not according to the unilateral directives of the Pope of Old Rome.

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2003, 12:57:39 AM »

Aw, Hypo, you make us sound so bad!  Tongue

Really, I wouldn't mind going back to the Julian calendar for Pascha for the reasons you cite, as long as it wasn't the revised Julian calendar, which in my opinion is really bizarre.  What's the point in using the Gregorian for some feasts and the Julian for the Paschal based feasts?  Just use one or the other.  

As for your remark about the majority of Orthodox not celebrating "according to the unilateral directives of the Pope of Old Rome", I am sure you know that it is not because we chose to obey Rome that we chose to use the Gregorian calendar, any more than it is because you chose to follow pagan emperors that you use the Julian.    

One of the things I love about the Oriental Orthodox Churches is that, by and large, whether you're all Gregorian (India), all Julian (Egypt and Ethiopia), or a combination of the two (Syria), we all get along pretty well; it's not as big a deal for us.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2003, 02:02:08 AM »

And the winner is...Slavonic?  Huh  Huh  Huh
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2003, 03:46:37 AM »

Heh, with a total of 13 votes, this poll redefines the meaning of 'meaningless'.

John.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2003, 10:16:41 AM »

I am positively amazed that Slavonic is beating Syriac at this moment.  This must be one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse or something.  I never thought I'd see the day when people would actually think "Mir" came out of Our Lord's mouth rather than "Shlomo".  

But why would Our Lord speak a Semitic language, right?  That makes no sense at all.   Shocked

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: